PDA

View Full Version : dehydrated

Critter_Queen
09-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Hello everyone! I got four new babes in last night. Six weeks old. All came out of the pine tree (STICKY) on thier own when Momma didn't come home. Been hollering for her for two days before they came down. One was on his last leg...lost him about an hour ago just before smuggling him into work with me. Hate that. But he was SO weak...he just couldn't get any strength up.

So now I'm scared for the other three (ok, I was already scared for them) because they all weigh close to 100 grams...but my six-weeker that I've had since he was a pinky weighs 200 grams! How long were they without Momma??

I'm confused about rehydrating. I gave them straight pedialyte last night on the spot when I picked them up, and again an hour later, then another hour later gave them diluted formula to begin introducing it to them. I am taking a little more water out of the formula mix each time I feed now...this is right, correct? Do they still need the pedialyte if they are taking the watered-down formula? Do I need to initially feed them more frequently than normal due to the dehydration? How often? Do I feed them based on weight or age???? HUGE difference there! I went by weight last night and this morning and all but one seemed to get a semi-round tummy...so I'm thinking somewhere in between weight feeding and age feeding is where we should be, but I want other opinions.

Only one baby of the three remaining is squirrely...the other two are very stoic, but eat well and everyone is peeing and pooping...though not a lot yet.

Help me please. I think I'm doing this right, but it's the first time I've had babies this dehydrated/malnourished that might actually make it. I have an appointment with my vet tonight...anything I should be asking??

Thanks!!

Suro
09-08-2006, 09:39 AM
It sounds to me like you are doing everything right.
I too was so confused when hunting for info of how much to feed and when. Some sites say feed until bellies appear nice and round, others say feed until they won't take anymore...that one worries me as bloat can happen then and that is life threatening.

Personally, I feed until they start to appear sleepyish, and I have had no problems with that so far.

Until all of them are active I would still supplement them with the electrolyte solution, it certainly won't hurt them. When we get dehydrated animals in at work, we give them fluids via drip for at least 24 hours, so doing this in oral form for your babies will for sure help them have the start they need.

The fact that they are peeing is good, as it shows everything is working despite being dehydrated, so they hopefully must be recovering now.

Does their skin "tent" at all if you pinch a little of it? That is a sign that they are still dehydrated if it does?

Critter_Queen
09-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh yeah, I don't even have to do the tent test, you can tell just by looking at them that they are dehydrated...it's that bad.

I will continue to supplement with the pedialyte between feedings...unless someone else has a different opinion on that...

Also, anyone recall what to do about bugs?? I'm pretty sure we have fleas and mites, but I can't find the resource I have that tells me how to rid them of it.

Suggestions??

Suro
09-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Well I don't know what you guys do, but we used frontline spot on for cats. We draw it up into a insulin syringe and squirt 1IU on the back of their necks. Basically a tiny tiny drop, about the size of a sesame seed.

I would be interested to hear what others use though, as I never found any official info on it. And I know some deflea preparations are deadly to other species?

Critter_Queen
09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I think I read that you can use kitten flea drops like you suggest after eyes are open and on the bedding before eyes are open...but I can't verify that information so I don't want to do it.

I did put some kitten flea powder in their bedding last night. Just a tad. Didn't seem to do much good, though...

Critter_Queen
09-08-2006, 10:15 AM
K! Found that flea info! And where else would it be but on the Squirrels and More website!! THANK YOU CHRIS! :thumbsup

Here's the link about fleas: http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/category.cfm?Category=38

Going to get some Advantage from the vet tonight and going to do the powder as suggested when I go home for lunch.

Suro
09-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Excellent! Thanks!
I will also use Advantage from now on! :D:thankyou

island rehabber
09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah, I don't even have to do the tent test, you can tell just by looking at them that they are dehydrated...it's that bad.

I will continue to supplement with the pedialyte between feedings...unless someone else has a different opinion on that...

Also, anyone recall what to do about bugs?? I'm pretty sure we have fleas and mites, but I can't find the resource I have that tells me how to rid them of it.

Suggestions??

Hi CQ! It does sound as if you are doing everything right by these babies -- keep up the good work. I would lean toward feeding by weight, not by age, until they are rehydrated, as you don't want to overload them and risk bloat or diarrhea. Keep up the warm pedialyte at least once during the night if you can -- it worked wonders for me with LB who was SO runty and weak for so long. In other words, don't make these babies go longer than 3-4 hrs without some kind of fluids until they look better. Good luck -- our thoughts & good vibes are coming your way!! :peace

Critter_Queen
09-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks IR! It's nice to hear that!

Yeah, I'm feeling bad cuz I left them at home this morning (couldn't keep the sickest one in with the others...fly eggs removed and didn't want to risk maggots on the others if I didn't get them all like I thought I did) because I couldn't take two carriers to work without being found out! But I'm heading home in another hour and plan to smuggle them in with me to keep them hydrating more regularly for the rest of the day. I will also get up at least once a night and give them pedialyte until they are doing better...feeling bad cuz I didn't do that last night and now am wondering if the littlest one would have made it if I'd gotten up to hydrate him last night... ~ sigh ~ Can't change it now, though...just gotta do better now and next time!

Thanks for your help and advice!