PDA

View Full Version : All The Noises

sqrlpup
09-07-2006, 10:11 AM
What noises do your squirrel babies make? Mine [5wks eastern grey] has recently started this "tribble" noise. It makes this noise -constantly-. Like a toddler who, well, just learned a new sound. He makes it as he moves, and also when he eats. Sounds like the piggy noise I read about here.

What other noises do they/will they make?

So far I've also heard the grunty-chirpy noise which this seems to have replaced for the most part. Also the high pitched "MOM ASAP" call.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-07-2006, 11:33 AM
I hear a sound like bee's buzzing about you really have to be tuned into what they are doing to hear this they seem to be talking to each other?
I can watch them for hours on end. Then I wont hear it again for many days & then I hear it again? Maybe its purr like? Anyone else?

sqrlpup
09-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I have heard squirrels making the "bee" noise, and teeth grinding... I think that is a rodent thing. My rats always did that amongst themselves...

Harlan
10-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Mine makes a growl noise when he is eating..and grabs your hands when you reach in the cage.. Sometimes(rare) he will jump on the back of my computer chair and flick his tail and call NUK NUK NUK.... But those are the only two sounds I have heard from him... 1 year old grey. Nut Muncher. Pant leg climber. Loves apples. Carrots. Hickory Nuts.(Favorite.) Acorns. Pecans. Wild walnuts. Sunflower seeds. He doesn't like monkey biscuits.. but he gnaws on em. I raised him from a lil feller. eyes not open. little fur. Started him with puppy milk..and a heating pad. Schringe fed.. I tried a bottle.. but he would get choked. He has become my most favotite pet. It was accident that I become a pappy to a squirrel. I cut a tree down and when it hit the ground squirrel babies went everywhere.. there was 5 in all. two died on impact. And I gathered up the three. Two more died in my hard hat and one survived... I call him Crash.....appropiate name.. So I go home with this little thing kinda like a mouse... and start reading on the internet. I give him warmed up puppy milk... and he loves it..put him on a heating pad. wiped his pee pee and butthole all hours of the day and night. And now I got me an awesome little pet. Wouldn't trade him for nothing. I would like to turn him lose. But I don't know how he could not care for himself.Ummm. I will just keep him! When I get home from work he is always glad to see me. He zooms up and down my shoulder and pant leg. And I give him a treat. And he sits on my shoulder munchin. Also. I give him a frito every now and again. I know this is bad for them... but he likes to lick it and then chow down on it after the salt is gone. Hands down. Fantastic pet.. They are a little messy when eating. But their fur has no smell.

GhosTS
10-20-2006, 08:58 PM
They make many sounds.I think they actually talk because sometimes mine just chatter continuesly just like they are talking.Also they do grind teeth.

pia
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
hello. i have a red squirrel boy, about 4weeks old. he talks all the time, and i always hear if he is happy, bored, sad.... he has different sounds for different food and mood:-) it is great to understand him:-)

Squerly
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the board Pia!

pia
10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
thank you:-)

nutnbutlove
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Tink is constantly making a huffing sound and on occasion you hear the whir/buzzing sound. She normally tries to bark when I have to grab her and put her back in her cage. I think she surprises herself when she does this because she doesnt do it any other time. I know I miss that high pitched squeak they make when they are young and calling for their mother. I hate to see her grow up! I miss the days when she was so young and innocent.

Now she is like a teenager, all over the place and into everything!

Luv2Spare
10-25-2006, 08:55 PM
I did a search online the other day by typing something like squirrel sounds and there are a few sites that have some to listen to.

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/animals/TreeAnimals.shtml

Here is a "territorial" sound

http://squirrelicio.us/?cat=5

Watching the reaction of your squirrels as you play each one!! HYSTERICAL!!

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20051107/squirrelspeak_ani.html

nutnbutlove
10-25-2006, 09:41 PM
Another good site for sounds is http://www.findsounds.com/

....just type in squirrel and bingo. I play them for Tink all the time and she stops and perks up when she hears them. Its funny to watch her.

island rehabber
10-26-2006, 06:58 AM
hey thanaks for those....they're a great way to get my five lunatics to stop trying to kill each other and be quiet for a minute.
They are a week overdue to be moved outside for pre-release, but we have so much construction going on outside that I couldn't put them out there with that racket going on (digging a 30-foot trench for a new sewer main). So, they are all crazed and bored but this gave them something interesting to listen to. :D

muffinsquirrel
10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Hehehe - for all you know they may be listening to instructions on 'how to attact the hand that feeds you' or 'OK, at 10:45 on Dec.15, 2008, everybody take to the trees and take all those nuts we've been saving and throw them at the humans'!!!

muffinsquirrel

Luv2Spare
10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
'OK, at 10:45 on Dec.15, 2008, everybody take to the trees and take all those nuts we've been saving and throw them at the humans'!!!

Ok, all humans DUCK at 10:44 !!!

hehe

I really wish I knew what each sound meant exactly because there are certain squirrel noises that I'll play that when my boys hear them, they cower down in a very submissive position, flat as possible against wherever they are.

But then mommy gets to go "save" them and everone lives happily ever after.

:)