PDA

View Full Version : Cat food?

lookmomchickens
01-28-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm not offering this to Ike but he is FASCINATED with eating the dry cat food out of their dish... he runs into the kitchen grabs a piece and runs as fast as he can to me on the couch and eats it on my shoulder... He does this back and forth, back and forth...

It's purina indoor cat chow..

Is this bad for him?

This ISN'T his daily food... he gets squirrel blocks for breakfast, lunch and dinner with veggies & a grape for dinner. He's not hungry and he eats all of his food. He has squirrel blocks available 24/7 which he constantly nibbles on...

but why the cat food?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Im not sure if it's good...for him..
BUT..it is...very...fatty...he may just chunk up.... :eek:
I'm sure..Leigh..and some other's will be on...to let you know..
R&B:wave123

Pam
01-28-2009, 09:51 PM
Rosie, my 1 year old pet squirrel likes cat food, too. It's the Purina Indoor Formula.

lookmomchickens
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Ike started picking at the cat food a couple of weeks ago but for the past couple of days he has been eating more and more of it. My cats snack all day and there is no set feeding time so the food is always available. I tried putting it up but he figured out how to get into the pantry and tore the bag open!

Can someone tell me if cat food is bad/OK or what... he will take a piece of cat food over a pecan!!!! It's getting ridiculous and my cats look at me like I'm nuts when I take their food away!

4skwerlz
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Cat food is likely too high in protein for Ike and also full of things that aren't part of a squirrel's natural diet, like chicken fat and such. Not to mention, dry cat food is usually grain-based and high in carbohydrates (high glycemic load). A nibble or two surely won't hurt, but I personally would nip this in the bud before Ike gets addicted to it. Can you put the cat's food on a porch or somewhere else Ike can't get it? Let's face it, a squirrel will eat almost any food available, especially if it's rich in fat like cat food, even if it's bad for them.