PDA

View Full Version : My Chipmunk Diet - What do you think?

ChipmunkLuver
01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I have two male Siberian Chipmunks, and have not owned Chipmunks before. I did the research, bought the books, but am still unsure and would love to know what you think of my diet for them, especially improvements..

Most of the diet is made up of a mix of the following:
Forti-Diet Mouse and Rat Pellets
Squirrel Mix (From Exotic Nutrition, smaller pellets, a few fruit bits and pumpkin seeds)
Nutriphase Diet (Mouse Mix - I remove most sunflower seeds though, they put in too many)

I also add in treats ranging from:
Yogurt Drops/Yogurt covered raisins
Rose hips
Extra corn
Peanuts
Pumpkin seeds
Pine nuts
Dried Bananas, Pineapple, Papaya, Apple, Blueberries

For protein they've had meal worms and now are trying calcium-packed crickets. They are also given Kay-Tee hay, too.

Vitamins:
Vionate (Small Animal Vitamin)
Squirrel Booster (From Exotic Nutrition)
Calcium Water Supplement
Bee Pollen
Cuttlebone & Mineral Block (In cage, with a pumice block)

They also have fresh fruits and veggies on occasion, too. They get other various treats once in a blue moon but the above is what they usually get. Any ideas to improve??

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Now when you say "pellets" are they the green things? If so its alfalfa and shouldn't be given because rodents do not digest alfalfa.
I would stay away from so many nuts and corn. Corn is actually pretty bad for them and can kill them.
Treats should be given just as treats not added into a staple diet. Otherwise they just pick it out.

I give the chips usually about the same as the squirrels only I try to add a bit more seed and berry.

Rodent block/lab blocks ( broken up)
Squash , snap peas, carrots, greens, etc
A few seeds OR nuts (pumpkin, almond,acorn, etc Not peanuts or sunflower unless a treat)
Barley, oats, grains
Then later after the good stuff is consumed, apples,blueberries, pear, rasberry, blackberry.
Try to stick with things they might find naturally. Like for instance, there are no bananas or peanuts where they come from lol.

Bee Pollen is good stuff,
However for the rest, unless they are lacking things and not eating properly added vitamins can cause more harm then good.
Too much calcium can cause issues. Make sure they get sunlight or FS/OTT light and the good veggies as well as rodent block and you shouldn't need calcium supplement.
The vitamins sold for small animals have cause more harm then good in most cases. No extra is needed.

In my opinion you are wasting your money buying three different brands of mouse and rodent food and a bunch of vitamins. Just buy the foods they need separate and mix your own.

Yogurt is a good treat now and then, as is a cheerio or other cereals.

Sciurus1
02-01-2009, 11:38 AM
No Pinenuts:nono , too high in phosphorus, which could lead to MBD.