PDA

View Full Version : Is honey OK?

JLM27
01-22-2009, 04:59 PM
I see that some folks recommend enticing the fuzzies to eat nutritious blocks by smearing Karo syrup on them (which is corn syrup). Is it ok to do that with honey too?

Charles Chuckles
01-22-2009, 05:32 PM
I see that some folks recommend enticing the fuzzies to eat nutritious blocks by smearing Karo syrup on them (which is corn syrup). Is it ok to do that with honey too?
I am thinking NO:donoif I eat honey I get a real rush, and i think a little squirrel will really get a jolt

4skwerlz
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I suppose a tiny amount couldn't hurt, just to get him nibbling on the blocks. But we always try to gradually get them to eat the blocks plain, which should be your ultimate goal.

I agree with Charley Chuckles that honey is awfully sweet and shouldn't be a regular item on their diet. In fact, if there's something else you could use, like peanut butter, yogurt, or avocado, that would be better.

muffinsquirrel
01-22-2009, 06:49 PM
But don't use honey on baby squirrels, just like you don't give it to human babies under a year old.

muffinsquirrel

JLM27
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks to all who replied to this. My squirrelies are wild, and it is hard to keep track of who is eating what. I know that Little Boy took up Henry's Blocks right away, but others nibbled and then threw them on the ground. I am, however, sure that none of them went to waste :) :squirrel1