PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotic overdose

MsOakley
09-03-2006, 08:43 AM
I'm just sick about this. I was told to give Septra to my 4 week old squirrel to prevent infection from his bot fly problems. There was a miscommunication between myself and the rehabber regarding the dose. I gave him .3 cc instead of .03. Within hours his stomach ballooned, he was crying and had severe diarrea. That was this past Tuesday, 5 days ago, and it's only gotten worse. I've explained the crisis to the rehabbers and we've tried various strategies including several feedings of just pedialyte, benebac, gas-x, jump start( a homeopathic remedy) and nothing is helping. He had his bots removed yesterday and the director said it might be a liver problem, not intestinal bloat. For now he's on a low fat formula and homeopathic liver drops. It's a wait and see. He's very emaciated but I have to feed him in smaller doses so his system can handle it. It's tearing me up that I did this to him. Has anyone ever had a similar experience and do you have any other suggestions? Please reply soon as I fear for Scooter's life.

Timber
09-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Has he seen a vet yet? Yes rehabers know a lot but unless they have been to med school they aren't up on all things. I would have had him at he vets immediately after over dossing. Over doseing can cause liver or kidney damage or both and need prompt care not lets try this or that and see. These are vital organ damages and failure in these can cause death and or perminate life long problems. These kind of problems need trained medical perfessional help.

island rehabber
09-03-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm just sick about this. I was told to give Septra to my 4 week old squirrel to prevent infection from his bot fly problems. There was a miscommunication between myself and the rehabber regarding the dose. I gave him .3 cc instead of .03. Within hours his stomach ballooned, he was crying and had severe diarrea. That was this past Tuesday, 5 days ago, and it's only gotten worse. I've explained the crisis to the rehabbers and we've tried various strategies including several feedings of just pedialyte, benebac, gas-x, jump start( a homeopathic remedy) and nothing is helping. He had his bots removed yesterday and the director said it might be a liver problem, not intestinal bloat. For now he's on a low fat formula and homeopathic liver drops. It's a wait and see. He's very emaciated but I have to feed him in smaller doses so his system can handle it. It's tearing me up that I did this to him. Has anyone ever had a similar experience and do you have any other suggestions? Please reply soon as I fear for Scooter's life.

I'm so sorry, MsO, that this happened to your little one. Mistakes in dosage are extremely common and vets make them as well as rehabbers. Don't blame yourself. Just go slowly, keep him warm at all times and continue to try to rehydrate him. Do you have a wildlife vet on hand? Rehabbers are not vets, as you know, and some know more about meds than others. (For example I know almost nothing about meds because I mostly just take in healthy orphans.) I'll try to find a wildife vet for you if necessary....

muffinsquirrel
09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I'll fall back on my old favorite, and say - try yogurt until you can get him to the vet. Get a live culture, no artificial sweeteners yogurt. He may lick it off your finger, or from a spoon. It will supply calcium, and help restore the balance in his gut. It's really great for tummy troubles, so maybe it would help him. Just be sure to get the LIVE culture yogurt. I usually use Dannon LaCreme, but since you have cut out the fat in his diet, look for a low or no fat yogurt - I know they make the low fat, and seems like I have also seen the no-fat.

Good luck with him - I know you are upset and see this as your fault, but try not to feel too guilty. Everyone makes mistakes, and that's how we learn.

muffinsquirrel

GhosTS
09-03-2006, 09:51 PM
MsOakley, did you only give the overdose to her once.If so I dont think the baby will sustain permenant liver damage from it.Try some yogurt as muffin suggested.It might help.Does she have diarrhea.She is more likely to get a serious diarrhea than getting liver damage.Keep her hydrated.Her system has to be dialuted and cleaned.Does she pee.

MsOakley
09-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement. We do have a vet in town that sees "exotic" animals, her specialty is ferrets. I've never used her but the rehabbers refer people there. Wouldn't you know they're closed for Labor Day. I did manage to speak with the on call vet who I think isn't as experienced but seemed to know a bit about squirrels.The most hopeful thing he said was that if it was going to kill him it would have done so by now(almost a week since the dreaded overdose). Muffin will be glad to know he also suggested yogurt, which I'll get today. I'll keep you all posted.

thundersquirrel
09-05-2006, 11:37 PM
be careful and good luck. the baby we had with the same symptoms died a couple of days ago. course, she had a bloated belly for four or five days, so hopefully your squirrel will live like the vet said.

is her stomach mushy or soft or translucent much more than usual? that would mean her organs are shutting down. that's what apparently happened to ours. we think it was internal bleeding though......

Secret Squirrel
09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
be careful and good luck. the baby we had with the same symptoms died a couple of days ago. course, she had a bloated belly for four or five days, so hopefully your squirrel will live like the vet said.

is her stomach mushy or soft or translucent much more than usual? that would mean her organs are shutting down. that's what apparently happened to ours. we think it was internal bleeding though......

So TS did you give the same overdose of septra as MsOakly did?? What was the initial reason of giving the antibiotic? TS......:dono

Secret Squirrel
09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
I just saw the post about the baby you had......soory I didn't see that one first!! :thumbsup
I have been outta town and trying to catch up on all the posts...phew....too much going on...and lots to read!!!!!!:peace