PDA

View Full Version : WHEAT AND OAT SEED

TinyPaws
01-16-2009, 09:13 AM
I was wondering if wheat and oat seed are ok to feed to the squirrels? On the discription it mentions squirrels but want to check first....:thankyou

4skwerlz
01-16-2009, 10:01 AM
With seeds meant for PLANTING, you have to be careful because they are often treated with chemicals.

If these are seeds meant for feeding birds and wildlife, I don't know anything about wheat/oat seeds specifically, but I would imagine wild squirrels will mostly eat what's good for them.

Someone else might have more info.

TinyPaws
01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
These are seeds sold as bird food...I just thought it could be used to cut the regular food I have to make it last longer...The colder it is the more they eat and the birds too who go into the feeders to eat the squirrels foods...:shakehead

gs1
01-16-2009, 11:55 AM
hi:

if they're sold as bird seed and not covered in chemicals - then maybe squirrels can eat them since they'd be eating them at the birdfeeders.

on the other hand.

you could sprout them and grow them as grass and give to your squirrel??? do you have one? someone else i was writing to recently did give wheatgrass to his squirrel ...

and also if you have a cat/rabbit etc... they'd love it - as grass.

but also you have a mouse!! who might love them as a treat.

AND my favourite mouse story.

several years ago i had a large planter of wheatgrass growing on my balcony for my rabbits. i woke up during the night and saw at least 5 mice playing in it and using it as a swimming pool. Exactly like kids. it was so cute!!! they jumped of the end and then 'swam' to the other side ... some of them were on the edge just watching and cheering and they were all saying 'watch me' 'see what i can do' .... i wish i'd had filmed it.

um...no... i didn't give it to the rabbits to eat after that :D

all the best.:D

TinyPaws
01-16-2009, 12:31 PM
gs1...That's a funny story....:rotfl :rotfl I bet Dani would love them...as well as the other wild mice running around....I can order them at $12 for 50lbs...plus shipping of $20...ouch.....but that's about .67cents per pound....I know the birds will eat them....