PDA

View Full Version : wheat grass

kackoff
01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
I bought some wheat grass at the market to see if my little red squirrel, Gulliver, would like it. It's sprouted, complete with roots in a little bit of soil. I cut off a hunk and placed it in a dish.

OMG!

He decimated it. Only a few blades of grass remained. He absolutely LOVED it!

Has anyone else tried it?

gs1
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
hi: i buy it or grow it for my rabbits!!! amazing stuff. Just be careful of the mold at the base of the grass - or if it's not there now, it will be, wheatgrass is crazy for growing mold.

you could juice it for yourself too ...very good for people.

am surprized that a squirrel would eat that - interesting.

all the best.

kackoff
01-14-2009, 06:09 PM
I'll watch for mold -- thanks. What do you use to grow it from? Where would one get wheat grass seeds? Would it be what is labeled as "wheat berries"?

I know it's good for people, but I have no taste for it. Yuk. ;-)

hi: i buy it or grow it for my rabbits!!! amazing stuff. Just be careful of the mold at the base of the grass - or if it's not there now, it will be, wheatgrass is crazy for growing mold.

you could juice it for yourself too ...very good for people.

am surprized that a squirrel would eat that - interesting.

all the best.

gs1
01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
hi: :) they're called wheat berries, either hard or soft, i haven't seen much difference between them. you can find them at Whole Foods in the bulk section.

i soak them (about 3-4 tablespoons of seeds) in about 500mls of water with ?3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide 3% - this is to help them germinate and to help slow down the growth of mold. I do this for about 6-12 hours. then i dump them in moist soiless mix - that also helps slow mold. the containers i use could be small aluminum cake tins - about? 2 inches high or if you want to re-use i use the disposable glad plastic food containers (with holes punched in the bottom for drainage.)

it's better to water them from the bottom up.

you can also use pie tins as well.

and you'll need about one pie tin to one tablespoon of soaked berries - you don't want them too crowded either - again mold.

if you want to reuse the tins/containers then you'll have to clean them really well.

the reason why the containers are so short is that they send down roots first and then the shoots, but the longer they are in the soil the more mold,( the more time for mold to sprout. )

i think the process from sprouting to throwing away is about? 7-9 days.

place in a cool area too.

you'll need to experiment because it's a process.

oh... sometimes it's also sold as cat grass seeds - although cat grass seeds could be so many things ... barley for instance ... but buying as cat grass seeds is much more expensive, it's not sold in the bulk area but in the seed area.

all the best....

kackoff
01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks gs1 -- I'll give this a try. I have some sprouting jars, but will probably re-use as you say it's best to water from the bottom up. Gulliver thanks you, too!