PDA

View Full Version : Rugby's Calcionate Syrup

Jackie in Tampa
01-10-2009, 08:18 AM
NeoCalGluCon has been discontinued!
This is MY replacement choice...research has been done and this is dang near the exact same thing! Doses are even the same!
.3cc is 100mg calcium. I dose this amount daily.
Some of our members disagree with this...so do your own homework! I like it!
This is not prescription and is cheaper if NOT purchased thru vet! google it!
Some of our members have been using this for years, and have some of the older sqs here! That says something!
This will not keep your sq alive, but is a suppliment!
I realize that there are better , more absorbed forms of calcium, but my sqs like this. It is safe and we are not real sure of how SQS metabolize calcium anyway, all testing based on people and rats!
I am not a medical mind and know that someone will hopefully post info on this product, the pros and cons!

Legomom
01-10-2009, 08:25 AM
How do you administer it?

Jackie in Tampa
01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
I orally syringe it...others add to water bottle.

4skwerlz
01-10-2009, 08:41 AM
This is MY replacement choice...research has been done and this is dang near the exact same thing! Doses are even the same!
Some of our members have been using this for years, and have some of the older sqs here! That says something!
I realize that there are better , more absorbed forms of calcium, but my sqs like this. It is safe and we are not real sure of how SQS metabolize calcium anyway, all testing based on people and rats!
I am not a medical mind and know that someone will hopefully post info on this product, the pros and cons!

My calculations came out as follows:

5 cc calcionate syrup = 1,800 mg calcium glubionate = 119 mg calcium

so,

.3 cc calcionate syrup = 7.9 mg calcium

What does the back label say? Couldn't find it anywhere online.

foxsquirrels
01-10-2009, 10:00 AM
http://lists.gekkota.com/pipermail/gecko/2003-February/000938.html

This was the only thing I found that kind of references one to the other!

Legomom
01-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Here's all that I could find: (Jackie, can you take a pic of the back of the bottle, if there is any info there?)

Very high calcium concentrate liquid oral supplement One teaspoon has 1.8 grams of calcium glubionate Great for any animal needing calcium supplementation Pint bottles Ingredients: Purified water, sorbitol, sucrose, citric acid, benzoic acid, saccharin sodium, caramel and orange flavor.

Brand Name: Calcionate

Generic Drug: Calcium Glubionate

Active Ingredient: calcium glubionate
Dose Form Description: syrup
Route Description: oral
Calcionate Strength Description: 1.8 g/5 mL

Tomo
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM

EXCELLENT Product! Dr. P prescribed this for my Tomo and I also use it for seizing babies. Now, all babies that come into the sanctuary get a small dose and it truly makes them feel better if they are not feeling so well. It is administered by the weight of the squirrel. For babies, I just dip the tip of a 1cc syringe into it and then gently push that into their mouths so they can lick it off. Tomo was about 212 grams and I was giving her .25 ccs to help with her calcium level. The only con I am aware of would be administering too much. For daily treatment of healthy squirrels, Dr. P recommended putting it into their drinking water.

Jackie in Tampa
01-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't have time now to ask questions, but wanted all to have this so I can ask later!:D

whopoopwrasse
01-10-2009, 02:53 PM
so weird that you posted this today, I just went to the pharmacy and bought this:

whopoopwrasse
01-10-2009, 02:57 PM
oops, I forgot, I put 15ml calcium in 60ml water and put the same amount of water in another bowl just outside the cage, tomorrow I will measure both to see how much mix she is taking in if any.

Chesters_mom
01-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Didn't they say once that sacharin caused cancer in laboratory mice? Or is that the same kind?

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 06:28 AM
I was hoping all the smarty members would have this figured out for me by now!
I want to dose 100mg daily...so how much is that in cc's????
I have to use a calcium sup...I have to, so is this "the one".
Thanks Tomo for sharing DrPs approval.
4S, what is the bottom line, your opinion??
Sacarine...???

whopoopwrasse
01-11-2009, 06:34 AM
this gets confusing, this is what I found:

You cannot directly convert milligrams (mg) to cubic centimeters (cc). The milligram is a unit of mass (or weight), whereas the cubic centimeter is a unit of volume. You can convert milliliters, however, to cubic centimenters. In fact, they are equivalent; that is, 1 ml = 1 cc.

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 06:39 AM
this gets confusing, this is what I found:

You cannot directly convert milligrams (mg) to cubic centimeters (cc). The milligram is a unit of mass (or weight), whereas the cubic centimeter is a unit of volume. You can convert milliliters, however, to cubic centimenters. In fact, they are equivalent; that is, 1 ml = 1 cc.
:dono OK, so ...
how much cc's or ml's is 100ish mg of calcium?:osnap
math is a foriegn language that I took in school, but never really had to use!

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 06:46 AM
(BTW the calculation below is not converting cc's to mgs, but showing equivalence, in other words, 5 cc of the syrup is equivalent to 1,800 mg calcium glub., not by weight or by measure, but meaning that "if you've got 5cc of syrup, you've got 1,800 mg of calc. glubionate." Hope this helps.)

5 cc calcionate syrup = 1,800 mg calcium glubionate = 119 mg calcium

so,

.3 cc calcionate syrup = 7.9 mg calcium

Jackie, The bottom line is:

to provide 100 mg of calcium, you'd need just under 5 ccs of the syrup.

I don't know about sacharine; I thought we weren't supposed to use "artificial sweeteners" but that's just what everyone says. I don't know the reasoning behind it. Maybe one of the rehabbers knows.:dono

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 07:02 AM
Whopoopwrasse, The stuff you bought seems to have about the same strength as Jackie's:

15 ml (or cc) = 300 mg calcium

5 ml (or cc) = 100 mg calcium

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 07:03 AM
(BTW the calculation below is not converting cc's to mgs, but showing equivalence, in other words, 5 cc of the syrup is equivalent to 1,800 mg calcium glub., not by weight or by measure, but meaning that "if you've got 5cc of syrup, you've got 1,800 mg of calc. glubionate." Hope this helps.)

Jackie, The bottom line is:

to provide 100 mg of calcium, you'd need just under 5 ccs of the syrup.

I don't know about sacharine; I thought we weren't supposed to use "artificial sweeteners" but that's just what everyone says. I don't know the reasoning behind it. Maybe one of the rehabbers knows.:dono
So are you saying ...to get 100mg daily I would have to dose 5 1cc syringes...that will not work!
I am still shopping if that is the case! I paid $38.50...:osnap

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 07:07 AM
I explained this in another thread but in case you didn't see it, the reason 5 cc of syrup contains 1,800 mg calc. glub. but only 119 calcium, is that calc. glub. is not pure calcium; it is a calcium salt. It contains calcium plus other things. What counts is the amount of pure CALCIUM in it, also called "elemental calcium."

So,

5 cc calcionate syrup contains 1,800 mg calcium glubionate but only 119 mg of pure calcium.

Hope this makes sense.

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 07:10 AM
So I will have to drown them in sugar water to get a dab??? no way...I need a more concentrated sup!:frustratedx

whopoopwrasse
01-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Whopoopwrasse, The stuff you bought seems to have about the same strength as Jackie's:

15 ml (or cc) = 300 mg calcium

5 ml (or cc) = 100 mg calcium

So I just calculated that if I put in 15mls in the 60mls of water, I got 75mls total, I also got 13 mls of evaporation over night (checked with the second bowl) and this morning there was 34 mls left in her bowl, which means she ingested about half of the mix (which also means she likes the taste! :alright.gif ) so she's going to get around 100-150mgs calcium daily this way.That's not too bad... not enough but not bad! :)

whopoopwrasse
01-11-2009, 07:17 AM
So I will have to drown them in sugar water to get a dab??? no way...I need a more concentrated sup!:frustratedx

I don't mean to jack your thread but I don't think there is any more concentrated than that:dono

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 07:22 AM
ok if that is as concentrated as we can find...I am ticked and will ck with a local compounding pharmasict and see how much it will cost to formulate TSBs sqs with a much needed and better product. I will not sleep, trust me, 'til I have something! My Rocky runs this world and all possible happiness in it! So.....another time comsuming project :osnap
:wave123
quicky quetion?
How much was I REALLY giving when I was using NeoCalGluCon..?
Do we have a bottle of that to post? I do not!:soapbox

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 07:28 AM
So are you saying ...to get 100mg daily I would have to dose 5 1cc syringes...that will not work!
I am still shopping if that is the case! I paid $38.50...:osnap

Yep. You have to read the labels carefully.

Look on the back of the label and it will say either the amount of "elemental calcium" or the amount of "Calcium as calcium glubionate" (or "as calcium citrate" or "as calcium carbonate" etc., etc.)

I know it's confusing.

Why don't you make your own mixture, and store it in a little bottle in the fridge. MUCH cheaper.

You can buy pure calcium carbonate powder in a jar, which is what I use. No crushing pills. This jar contains over 135,000 mgs of elemental calcium and costs under $4.00. You can mix the powder with water, yogurt, formula, or whatever.

If you tell me how big you want your dose to be (1 cc, .5 cc, or whatever) I can help you formulate a simple mixture to keep on hand. I'll also give you the link where you can buy the stuff online cheap. If you need some right away, I'll mail you a bottle. I've got a closet full of them.

whopoopwrasse
01-11-2009, 07:31 AM
when mixed with water, is it clear, does it stay in suspension, I want the link too!:thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Yep. You have to read the labels carefully.

Look on the back of the label and it will say either the amount of "elemental calcium" or the amount of "Calcium as calcium glubionate" (or "as calcium citrate" or "as calcium carbonate" etc., etc.)

I know it's confusing.

Why don't you make your own mixture, and store it in a little bottle in the fridge. MUCH cheaper.

You can buy calcium carbonate powder in a jar, which is what I use. No crushing pills. This jar contains over 135,000 mgs of elemental calcium and costs under $4.00. You can mix the powder with water, yogurt, formula, or whatever.

I've got a closet full of them.
You are one classy sq lady...:D most silly women would have shoes and purses! I love you !:rotfl
on a serious note...I can cover my bases for now! I will MAKE THEM EAT 4SQ BLOCKS...and Rocky has his 4S shakes...but I need a sup! NEED NEED NEED!
Someting that I don't have to make and date and mess with...my quick insurance policy.
If you are owned by one sq...and can afford the time to pamper just one...but in my case there is always extra somebodies hanging around R&Ring in Tampa....I have 6 indoor cages to keep clean daily, and feeding 13 mouths in the manner they like to be treated and a lifestyle that is high maintainance:osnap not whinning ...just being real with my agenda. And then there are the outsiders in HWH and the wilds:osnap
HELP:wave123

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 07:41 AM
when mixed with water, is it clear, does it stay in suspension, I want the link too!:thumbsup

It is a pure white powder. I think I would mix it with fruit juice and water. The acidity of the fruit juice would help dissolve the calcium. You would probably want to shake the bottle each time before drawing up your dose.

If you like, I can try making up a mixture and see how it works out. I can also try it on Henry and see if he likes it.

Jackie, you would want to dose small amounts, right? Like .5 cc to get 100 mg? Does that sound right?

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 07:42 AM
You are one classy sq lady...:D most silly women would have shoes and purses! I love you !:rotfl
on a serious note...I can cover my bases for now! I will MAKE THEM EAT 4SQ BLOCKS...and Rocky has his 4S shakes...but I need a sup! NEED NEED NEED!
Someting that I don't have to make and date and mess with...my quick insurance policy.
If you are owned by one sq...and can afford the time to pamper just one...but in my case there is always extra somebodies hanging around R&Ring in Tampa....I have 6 indoor cages to keep clean daily, and feeding 13 mouths in the manner they like to be treated and a lifestyle that is high maintainance:osnap not whinning ...just being real with my agenda. And then there are the outsiders in HWH and the wilds:osnap
HELP:wave123

Let me see what I can find online for you that's already a liquid, okay?

whopoopwrasse
01-11-2009, 07:43 AM
Nevermind, I think I found where you get it, iherb??
what's your take on this http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=455&at=0 mixed with the NOW calcium Carbonate

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 07:49 AM
It is a pure white powder. I think I would mix it with fruit juice and water. The acidity of the fruit juice would help dissolve the calcium. You would probably want to shake the bottle each time before drawing up your dose.

If you like, I can try making up a mixture and see how it works out. I can also try it on Henry and see if he likes it.

Jackie, you would want to dose small amounts, right? Like .5 cc to get 100 mg? Does that sound right?
YES...and I will be dosing 8-10 sqs daily! If I could make once a WEEK... that would be ok!
ps...my outsiders are nut hounds this am...more so than normal...indicating rain! Who needs a tv! Hell, who was time for a tv?:D
Henry does kinda look like a guinea pig!:rotfl
:tilt don't tell him his Auntie J said that!

whopoopwrasse
01-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Henry does kinda look like a guinea pig!:rotfl
:tilt don't tell him his Auntie J said that!

poor little man! :jump

Just a thought, may you should taste it too.... :D

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Okay, I found one.

1 cc = 100 mg calcium

So it's about 5 times more concentrated than the Rugby stuff.

A huge 16-ounce bottle is $13.43. Here's the link. Why don't you look at it and see if that would work.

http://www.americarx.com/Products/22245.html

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Okay, I found one.

1 cc = 100 mg calcium

So it's about 5 times more concentrated than the Rugby stuff.

A huge 16-ounce bottle is $13.43. Here's the link. Why don't you look at it and see if that would work.

http://www.americarx.com/Products/22245.html

So that 16-oz bottle would give you 473 1-cc doses for $13.43.

If a 1-cc dose is still too big, you might need to make your own suspension. You could make up a big bottle, store in fridge, should have 100's of doses.

Jackie in Tampa
01-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Can I make a sweet based sup, that woud not seperate ? What do the manufacturers start with? What is their base?
Glubanate?
What is glubanate...I hate research...I am the pitts! But in a bowl of cherries!:D

Scrapsmommy
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Ok so i just read through this whole thread and there is an easier way to give a squirrel her calcium???!!!! i dust scraps food with crushed calcium but i am never sure how much she is getting and sometimes i swear she is brushing it off. How much are they really supposed to have a day??? I do know that if i give her a piece of a tums she would eat that but as far as what i sprinkle on her food i think she plays with it more than eats it!! :osnap

4skwerlz
01-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Ok so i just read through this whole thread and there is an easier way to give a squirrel her calcium???!!!! i dust scraps food with crushed calcium but i am never sure how much she is getting and sometimes i swear she is brushing it off. How much are they really supposed to have a day??? I do know that if i give her a piece of a tums she would eat that but as far as what i sprinkle on her food i think she plays with it more than eats it!! :osnap

Your squirrel should be eating rodent blocks or squirrel blocks as 70% of her diet. If this is the case, you don't have to worry about extra vitamins or minerals.

The discussion below was for squirrels who have special problems (such as lack of teeth, making eating rodent block difficult), or who have MBD.

Scrapsmommy
01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
ok she is eating some sort of commercial rodent squares and she does eat them.... grudgingly, i might add. i did just place an order for henrys special blocks so we will see if she likes these better. i just worry about her, she is my first squirrel and i just want to make sure she stays healthy!!!:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
02-07-2009, 08:02 AM
ok she is eating some sort of commercial rodent squares and she does eat them.... grudgingly, i might add. i did just place an order for henrys special blocks so we will see if she likes these better. i just worry about her, she is my first squirrel and i just want to make sure she stays healthy!!!:thankyou
My Rocky has MBD. We are looking for easy ways to introduce calcium to him! He has ONE tooth, he'll be 7 in July. He has made so much improvement since I have been concentrating on his calcium intake. REALLY!
Bottom line...if your sq is healthy now...only YOU can determine his future...easy to say, hard to maintain. I thought that my Rocky had the best high dollar diet, a spoiled sq...only the best nuts and veggies...but he got picky and I catered to him! He started sleeping alot and instead of taking him outside in the heat, he laid in the a/c.....disasterous.
The blocks are such a clever disguise...if you do not give any junk food or let sq have too many nuts, if you suppliment sqs diet with healthy veggies {not just the ones sq likes} and SUNLIGHT,the REAL sun! There si a strong chance your sq will thrive! The way I see it now, after having touched and loved so many sqs.. it is hard to do...and I will never keep another healthy sq...:peace and with that said, I'll add, I do know for a fact sqs can live LONGER inside than OUTSIDE IF you sign the dotted line of commitment....hard job to raise a healthy sq:shakehead
gonna be hard.

Thanks Leigh for the link...for some sqs this would work, but not all! 100mg in 1cc...better to try than pass up the chanc...and only a twenty:D :osnap

Jackie in Tampa
12-18-2012, 02:12 PM
bump bump