PDA

View Full Version : I now need face protection--Please help

ltv2988
01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I have hand raised and bottle fed a grey squirrel from approx. 5 weeks old when he fell from the nest. He grew up in my house and I interacted and played with him daily. I gradually let him outside for an hour or two and then would bring him in. At 4 months, I relocated him to a large enclosed outdoor shed with screening and I let him out daily if possible and he willingly comes back to myself and the shed. In the last 4 weeks he started to really become agitated when I entered bringing food and would bite in inpatience until he ate enough. He then calmed down and would wrestle and play as always. In the last 2 weeks he becomes agitated and does not calm down--he eventually for unknown reasons jumps at my face where he will cling until removed. He is quite unhappy at being removed from my face. After the first time I now go visit with goggles on. It happens regularly now where he seems to sense head movement and object. There were no signs of this behavior beforehand and I previously have said to myself that this is the best pet I have ever had and wished he could have stayed in the house. Does anyone have any suggestions.

ltv2988
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't think scent is the issue--as I could be sitting interacting with him for literally an hour and then he'll do it.

4skwerlz
01-07-2009, 05:41 PM
He's probably wilding up, as you would expect since he's in an outdoor cage. I think you should start preparing him for release.

If you wanted to keep him as a pet, he'd be better off inside most of the time.