PDA

View Full Version : WHAT A BLESSING TO FIND THIS BOARD

starfairy
01-03-2009, 09:03 PM
:thankyou Hi I have been sick for a couple of days so I have just been playing on the computer. I have never been so glued to this thing like today. Let me tell you alittle about myself. I am 51, female, live near Disney in Florida and unemployed at this time. Six years ago I was at my sisters house when we were walking into the house her dog started barking and pawing at the ground. When we went to see what he was barking at it was a baby squirrel just starting to get his fur. Of course being an animal lover I had to save him.
I always had different animals (Skunk, fennic fox) I KNOW GOD LAID THAT SQUIRREL THERE FOR A REASON. I read up on how to care for him and he became my whole life. Well about 6 months after i got him, my husband died..
Squirrelly helped me through the tough times. Then 4 months after that my 22 year old son died. I SWEAR if it wasn't for squirrelly I would have never made it. less then a year later my mom died and then my baby sister that was only 37 died. Squirrelly has been my rock. He was there to lick my tears, to make me laugh and I believe he loves me ALMOST as much as I do him. Whenever I get really upset he must sense it because he comes running to sit on my shoulder, knock my glasses off and get right in my face. He has always has free run of the house and is truly the BOSS. He gets along with my dog and my cats. When I was reading some of the blogs I had to laugh about peeing on the counter, pooping where ever. When people ask where does he use the bathroom I say where ever he wants. I AM SO GLAD TO FINALLY FIND SOME PEOPLE I CAN RELATE TO. Thank you so much for making me laugh and cry (weezer's tribute).

FLUFFYTAILNUT
01-03-2009, 09:09 PM
:Welcome To TSB:Welcome
hee hee....peeing n pooping where ever he wants...
Bean goes in his litter box..
Im VERY..VERY sorry about your mom & little sister:grouphug
This place is so much fun and more addictive then any other outside thing...
Id rather hang out on TSB....then go out...in public.... :hidechair....
They say the first thing to admitting..you have a problem ..OUT loud...is the first step...
I am Rachel FLUFFYTAILNUT..and Im addicted to TSB...and I dont think there is...any....known cure....to man or woman....and I dont want it....:nono :jump :jump :jump :jump
Welcome you and Squirrelly..
Rachel n Bean:grouphug :Welcome

Lady Squirrelly
01-03-2009, 09:14 PM
So glad you found us. :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome :Welcome

So many people don't understand the "squirrel thing."

Please feel free to share pictures.

Minnie's Mom
01-03-2009, 09:16 PM
:Welcome Welcome Starfairy to the TSB and for telling your story. I am so sorry that you lost so many loved ones all in a short amount of time and I will keep you in my prayers. :sad

I am really glad you found The Squirrel Board and I hope you stay with us and follow all of our stories. :thumbsup We all had one when we first came to this board many of us have became very good friends. :wott

I am sure you will like it here and I am glad to welcome you and Squirrelly to TSB. :flash3

:grouphug Hugs to You and Squirrelly :grouphug

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
01-03-2009, 09:27 PM
My squirrels saved my life after my Father passed away, I truly understand where you are coming from. Thanks so much for sharing your story..you will love it here.:grouphug I am so sorry you have had to endure so much so fast but you are right your guy was put there for a reason.

starfairy
01-03-2009, 09:53 PM
:wave123 :Welcome It's GREAT to have you with us! :D All I can say is...Boy, did you ever find the right place! :thumbsup :alright.gif :jump

I have a 2 year old grey, that has the run of HER house, too! Aren't these PRECIOUS little creatures just THE MOST ADORABLE little things? :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

I am SO sorry to hear all the heartache you've had to endure. :( :grouphug You are SO right! :thumbsup I truly believe that God sent Squirrelly to you, and for you. :grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug There is nothing like the love from a squirrel to get you through the hardest times. :Love_Icon

Now...I just have to ask...Don't worry, it's not just you, I MUST ask everyone :tilt ...

Does Squirrelly get our Healthy Diet?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9715

Does he go outdoors every day , in a cage, for a couple of hours, and/or under Full Spectrum Lighting?

Post #11....

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9715

Have you seen the recipe for Squirrel Blocks that should be making up 70-80% of Squirrelly's daily diet?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14963

Ahhhh....Ok, I'm done. :D I feel SO much better! :rotfl

:Welcome

Yes my squirrelly gets a well balanced diet with an occasional snack that he shouldn't have but is to fast for me to grab from him. But what worry's me is this lighting that you are talking about. All the reading I have done on squirrel care I never came across this. He never goes outside. He got out once for 3 days. I live in an area that has NO squirrels. I walked the road Day and Night Calling Squirrelly I think all my neighbors thought I was squirlley. lol He sits in my windows but that doen't sound like he is getting the right light. What is a full-spectrum light? can it be purchased at a pet store? I had to take him to a vet a couple of times but the only vet that would see him didn't seem like he knew to much. He's going on 7 years and I want him around for many more so I will go tomorrow to the pet store and find out about the light. I hope he doesn't have any underling problems from not having the proper light. What problem can occur?

TexanSquirrel
01-03-2009, 10:03 PM

NaturesGift
01-03-2009, 10:27 PM
:Welcome :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

skye
01-03-2009, 10:49 PM
:D Hello there and:Welcome hope we see pics soon of your sweet little fur baby:D You will fine alot of great people here and info to help.

starfairy
01-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Full Spectrum Lighting helps their body make Vit D to absorb the calcium they get in their diet. Without this lighting, or going outdoors, he may develop MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease), which is a deadly disease.

No, doors and windows count for nothing, as they have UV protectors built into them, and they reflect the rays away.

Do you have a Home Depot around you? This is the light they sell. It's probably in their plant dept.

Going there tomorrow to get a couple. I just hope He doesn't have damage already. Just when I think I know everything there is know I find out I don't know enough..

digiandchipper
01-03-2009, 11:28 PM
A BIG WELCOME TO YOU, STARFAIRY!!! Believe me, you have found a wonderful place! All my life people have acted like I'm weird because I care so much for animals (yes, even my family!)....but then I got here and it was....different.

You have come to the right place. God knew what He was doing when He sent your squirrel baby to you and He knows what He's doing now.

(And yes, we ACHE for pics so start a thread for Squirrelly, post some pics and we'll all come a runnin'!) :thumbsup

:Welcome :Welcome :grouphug

Mrs. Jack
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
You've been through so much.. but your heart is still so rich and open and full of love for your squirrelly.. animals are such a blessing to us. I'm glad you've found us, we all know the power they hold. the blessing they are. We can all share that with you and you can with us.

speaking of.. I won't bother you now.. but when you're comfy.. if you have pictures of fennic fox.. my son and I would love to see them..

wheezer
01-03-2009, 11:40 PM
:Welcome :Welcome Speaking of blessings that is definitely what your little Squirrelly is:bowdown I think squirrels ARE blessings in disguise:D
Whose ever lives they touch it changes them. Something very healing in "squirrel love":tilt
You have been through so much, I hope you will feel very welcome here with your new "squirrel family"=TSB:grouphug
(sorry the Wheezer tribute made you cry, he was my soulmate and now that some time has gone by, I feel soooo fortunate he was in my life that I can smile when I see think of him..with a tiny tear:tilt )

Sciurus1
01-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Welcome to you and your special friend Squirrellie. Thank you for sharing your personal story with us! What a blessing to have a special companion as your Squirrellie. Anything we can do to support you, just let us know. :grouphug

Bugsie
01-04-2009, 02:26 AM
:Welcome I am so glad you found us. Your story has brought tears to my eyes:grouphug I lost my father at a young age and being a daddy's girl have never fully recovered. I have a child that I could not ever imagine losing. You have been through more, than any one person should have to go through. I hope you know that you are never alone and that God and TSB will always be watching over you and squirrely, not in any stalker way of course:D but you have made friends for life:)

Jackie in Tampa
01-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Sqs make the best friends!
Howdy neighbor, welcome to the Sq Board!

island rehabber
01-04-2009, 07:47 AM
:Welcomestarfairy! We are very glad you found us!

Anne
01-04-2009, 09:10 AM
:Welcome :Welcome To The Squirrel Board:Welcome
You have found the right place for squirrel (all animal) lovers.
I was in Wally-Mart the other day and got a "Sunlight" desk lamp for less than $23.
It is full spectrum and meets all the requirements as I understand them.

Mookie's Mom
01-04-2009, 09:46 AM
OMG, I don't understand how a heart could stand so much pain. You are a very strong and inspirational person. I am so sad for your loses and happy as well that you found this wonderful bunch of people and that you and Squirrelly share so much love! You must really be doing things right if he is 7!! A warm welcome to you from Mookie and I:Welcome

Crazymunk
01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
:Welcome from Crazymunk and her Chipmunk Fidget :D

Momma Squirrel
01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
:Welcome we are so glad you found us. Such sadness and heartache you have gone through, I can't even begin to imagine :grouphug But animals truly know how to comfort us and get us through the toughest times in our life.

You will truly find a home here and we will keeping bugging you until you post pictures :poke :tilt

starfairy
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm off to find the lighting I need for my sweety. (every morning he climbs under the covers with me and makes me pet him until I am wide awake). I am sooo amazed at how all of you have welcomed me with open arms. All of you are so kind hearted. I think we squirrel people are in a league of our own. I'm finally going on with my life. For at least a year after my son died I couldn't do ANYTHING. I sure wish you'll were around then. I feel like I have friends again. :thankyou I will try to gather some pics and upload them in the next couple of days. One Question? How in the world am I going to get him to stay in the lighting? :thinking

squirrelfriend
01-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear about all of your bad luck. At least luck was with you (and the squirrel) when you found each other. My squirrels get me through the worst of times as well. I think we all here can relate to that. Welcome to the Squirrel board. You are among friends here.:Love_Icon

digiandchipper
01-04-2009, 11:32 AM
ANYONE, ANYONE...........I want to go buy the light Anne posted.......is it the right one????????????????????????:thankyou

squirrelfriend
01-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Gamma, it looks like Baby is just waiting for that cereal box to be opened.:D

Charles Chuckles
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
:Welcome Starfairy'
WoW you have been through so much God Bless you. You have come to the right place. Charley Chuckles is 4 1/2 years old and I am so glad I found it here, I thought Chuck had a good diet because he ate a lot of veggies fruits and nuts, but now I know that wasn't the best...I bought store bought Rodent blocks and he wanted nothing to do with them, I started him on 4sqwerlz recipe and he loves them, I give him about 2 a day. I also bought that light Gamma showed from home depot, yes Chuck is in and out of his bed but I think he gets enough light as a whole:thumbsup
Wonderful to have you join the squirrel family:D Great people here:jump

Charles Chuckles
01-04-2009, 12:29 PM
:Welcome :Welcome To The Squirrel Board:Welcome
You have found the right place for squirrel (all animal) lovers.
I was in Wally-Mart the other day and got a "Sunlight" desk lamp for less than $23.
It is full spectrum and meets all the requirements as I understand them.

Anne,
I am going to get one and just call the co. to find out if it has everything, This way I will have two lamps going Chuck is bound to get more light....UMMM what's with the Roasted peanuts:poke at least they don't have salt they must be for you right?:rotfl
Sorry Starfairy I just:threadjack :jump

Cleo_13
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy it here. I agree, this board is a blessing.

starfairy
01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok I am going to try to post some pics.. I hope it works. The last one is him today checking out his new light. I also post one of my Roxy. Which is in Heaven now.

Minnie's Mom
01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
:thumbsup Oh what precious pics of Squirrely you have taken. :thumbsup I am sorry to hear of Roxy and may she RIP. :sad

:thankyou Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

skye
01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Very cute fur baby you have there:D Great pics:thumbsup Hope we see more of him.
Sorry about your little girl R.I.P sweet baby.

skye
01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh I just got to see the other pic ( darn dial-up) Look at that pretty fur baby with the big ears:D how sweet and that is some kind of a fox right? You still have him? Sure is a beauty:thumbsup

starfairy
01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
I am trying to post 3 more pics but for some reason they are not showing up. OH It says they are to large. anyone know how to shrink them?

Mrs. Jack
01-04-2009, 07:50 PM
oh thank you.. my son just happened to be in the room when I got to that fennic.. she is so beautiful.. we would dearly love one, but I honestly don't think it will ever happen.

and Squirrelly is gorgeous and so healthy looking. You are a good mama!!

starfairy
01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Oh I just got to see the other pic ( darn dial-up) Look at that pretty fur baby with the big ears:D how sweet and that is some kind of a fox right? You still have him? Sure is a beauty:thumbsup

She is a Fennec fox that I had quite some time ago. She only lived a little over 5 years because I could not find a vet that would see her and when I finally found a vet school I guess it was to late. They didn't know what was wrong so they sent me home with antibiotics. but they didn't help she died in my arms a couple of days later.

luvs squirrels
01-04-2009, 08:01 PM
:wave123 Hi Starfairy and :Welcome

I'm so happy that you found this wonderful place. I have been a member a little over a year and I have met the MOST WONDERFUL people here. We are a big family and you will fit right in.

Your sweet Squirrelly sure is cute.

I am so sorry about all the losses you had to endure, but I'm happy Squirrelly was there to get you through. They are absolutely amazing, aren't they!

:Love_Icon

Mrs. Jack
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
She is a Fennec fox that I had quite some time ago. She only lived a little over 5 years because I could not find a vet that would see her and when I finally found a vet school I guess it was to late. They didn't know what was wrong so they sent me home with antibiotics. but they didn't help she died in my arms a couple of days later.

I'm so sorry. I know what that's like. my bun died in my arms on monday. I have a good vet, but we did not have time to get him in to emergency. it all happened too fast.

starfairy
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm so sorry. I know what that's like. my bun died in my arms on monday. I have a good vet, but we did not have time to get him in to emergency. it all happened too fast.

I'm so sorry about your bun. I am going to have to read over some of the older posts, so I can get to know some of you a little better. I'd like to know about your bunny but I know it might be to soon for you to talk about. I'll read up alittle and then when your heart isn't hurting as bad you can tell me all about him or her.

Mrs. Jack
01-04-2009, 09:03 PM
thanks... he's in the offtopic forum.. bandi.. under Mrs. Jack's loss...

I'm quite glad to know you starfairy.. I get feelings sometimes and I get the feeling you are going to be a huge benefit to this board.

Bravo
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM
:Welcome Good to have you here, SF. Like was said earlier, one big family here and good people. :)

starfairy
01-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Do you have Windows XP?

No. Vista

starfairy
01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm really feeling guily not mentioning my degu that I also have. My neice rescued 3 of them from a pet store that would pick them up by there tail (which is a no no). My niece kept 2 and she gave me 1. Of course I didn't want anymore animals but how can you say no to a niece that is trying to give you a gift? :thinking Anyways after I read up on them I found out that they would not live alone. They would die of lonliness but it was to late I was hooked. I really don't know how long they live but her 2 have long gone to heaven and my squeaker is still going strong. I've had her at least 4 years she is now going blind but she still squeaks like crazy when I pretend I'm taking her food. GOD I LOVE ANIMALS...

Cleo_13
01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I love your pictures:Love_Icon
I had to look up what a degu was, I had never heard of one:D She's cute though. I'm glad your here starfairy.

starfairy
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Opps... Sorry the pics came out so big. I'm bound to get it right eventually. :rotfl

starfairy
01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Oh, God love her. :grouphug She is PRECIOUS!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

We have another member with a degu. I'll see if he posted any info. Ok..It says they live anywhere from 5-8 years, and some 10. :D I know his degu lives with his ground squirrel. They just love each other. :Love_Icon

Here you go. :D

My squirrelly always tryed to bite her I think I give her enough attention to keep her from being lonely.
I tryed to let her visit her littermates a couple times but she did not want any of that...
If they live that long I wonder why she is starting to go blind? Her eyes are starting to look cloudy.

merman
01-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Hey, welcome to TSB..
And I am really sorry for all your loss and hard time you passed through.. !!
God bless you and all the good people..
And our furry kids as well :)

Mountain Mama
01-21-2009, 08:07 AM
I feel like I have friends again. :thankyou

You not only have friends, you are family. Welcome to TSB, starfairy!

starfairy
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
You not only have friends, you are family. Welcome to TSB, starfairy!

Thank you. I just love this board. I may not write something everyday but I read the posts every single day since I found this site.

digiandchipper
05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
tinfoil hooty-hoooooooooooooooooooo, Starfairy! Time to give us some more pics!:D:poke

Did you ever figure out how to resize them? I downloaded a free thing called Windows PowerToy....it is so easy to use (good thing for me)

Jackie in Tampa
12-24-2010, 07:25 AM
CM2268 Merry Christmas Friend..
Happy Holidays to you and your Family!