PDA

View Full Version : Need help with baby flyer

chrissy.hpr
01-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I got back my female flying squirrel today, her eyes are open! I have some important questions though....how many ML should be fed to her everytime i feed her? How often should she be fed? Do I feed her during the night?

Ardilla
01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
You should be able to find some info on the NFSA boards.

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=8

muffinsquirrel usually gets online at night so check back here, too, to see if she's replied. I'd try to answer, but Penny was about 9 1/2 weeks old when I got her from muffinsquirrel and was almost weaned.

muffinsquirrel
01-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I'd feed about every 3 hours, including at night. Next week, if her weight is normal for her age, you can stop the all-night feedings. You need to get a scale that weighs in grams - they're around $20 or $30 at WalMart, Target, etc. How much they are fed depends on how much they weigh, The rule is 5% to 7% of their body weight. If they weigh 100 grams, you would take 5% of that which would be 5. That means you would feed 5 cc (or ml) per feeding.
)The easier way is to take the weight - 100 grams - drop the last number, which would leave you with 10, and divide that number by 2, which will also give you 5. Flyers weigh much much less - for a 25 gram flyer, you would feed 1 1/2 cc or ml per feeding.

Did you just get one of the females back? Are you going to get the other one? How is the little male doing? If one of you decides to keep all of them, keep in mind that you do not want them breeding, since they are littermates, so they will have to be separated very soon.After her eyes have been open for a week or so, you can start giving her a couple of cheerios to nibble on, and a half of a pecan. She won't really eat them, but she will start nibbling, and get the general idea of eating solid foods.

muffinsquirrel

chrissy.hpr
01-02-2009, 12:43 AM
thankyou! you've been a great help.
I'm getting a scale very soon, and the male is better...way better. He was given some antibiodics, I'm not sure what type though. Also is it normal for the female to keep her eyes closed still most of the time? I'm sure she's getting used to it first. Also is it okay for her to sleep so much? hehe

chrissy.hpr
01-02-2009, 12:47 AM
what wieght is generally normal for a 4 week old?

rolo02
01-02-2009, 09:33 AM
flyers are nocternal which means they will sleep most of the day and be active at night. My little boy sleeps almost all day and gets up about 7pm and plays all night til aroung 6 or so in the morning. I hope your little girl is doin good. You should start her a tread in the nusery section with pics and things we would love to meet her. Have you given her a name yet??? Good luck with your baby she will really be a part of your family! If you think you love her now just wait til she starts running everywhere they are so funny to watch!!

Ardilla
01-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes, the sleeping is normal--not only is she a baby, she's a nocturnal baby. ;)

Take advantage of her sleeping time to wear her in a bonding pouch or (what Penny and I prefer) inside your clothes. This will help her get to know your smell and the sounds of your heartbeat and voice, and she'll come to consider you a comfort. Then when you have awake time with her she'll use you as "home base" when she starts exploring whatever room she's in. :)

I have Penny (over 4 months old) tucked inside the bodice of my nightie right now. I carry her around with me like this for hours a day. I've even taken her to work with me and keep her in my clothes during class (on days I know it'll be relatively quiet) and especially during conference period when I'm alone grading papers and stuff. I don't take her out of my classroom, though--if I have to leave the room I put her inside a pouch in a small travel cage.

Ardilla
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM
BTW, as soon as you get a chance, we would LOVE to see some pics. :poke :poke :D

Oh, and any names yet?

chrissy.hpr
01-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I've set a schedule up for her...

1am
4am
7am
10am
1pm
4pm
10pm
ect...
I even set alarms on my phone for her.
still....whats a healthy wieght range for a 4 week old flyer?

chrissy.hpr
01-02-2009, 11:03 AM
also.....is there any supplement or vitamin i can giver her right now just to make sure she's extra healthy. She is currently staying in her box still, when should she transition to a cage and what type of bedding should be used? I'm going to PetCo soon so I can pick up some things for her. Give me a list...

chrissy.hpr
01-02-2009, 11:12 AM
ok, give her that even when she's 4 weeks old?

muffinsquirrel
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
No, not as long as they are taking formula. The Esbilac has everything that they need. I don't remember if you mentioned this, but she should still be on a heating pad. Set pad on low, put her cage or box 1/2 on, 1/2 off the heat so that she can move off the heat if she gets too warm.

Oh yes, the 'average' weight for a 4 week old flyer is around 25 grams. 5 weeks around 30 grams. Of course, it really all depends on the flyer - each one is different. But that will get you started. At her age, you should feed her every 3 1/2 hours, and night feedings can be stopped.

Here is the chart according to Wild Mammal Babies:

5 weeks - 30 grams - formula every 4 hours - offer weaning food in the cage.
6 weeks - 35 grams - they begin to explore a little - formula every 5 hours - provide plain water for them (use a small shallow bowl, and change
water frequently)
7 weeks - formula every 6 hours - provide toys, branches, etc if you haven't
already.

Hope this helps you out some.

muffinsquirrel

TinyPaws
01-02-2009, 02:16 PM
:Welcome The vitamins when she is ready for them should be given every other day...A shot glass is good to use as an ounce messurer.....

chrissy.hpr
01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
we are building her a big hutch type of cage to be put in our room:), is there any wood squirrels can't have?

muffinsquirrel
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Cedar isn't a good idea because of all the aromatic oils in it. Pine should be fine, and fairly inexpensive. Just make sure that the wood is NOT treated. You can paint it if you want to, just use non-toxic paint - anything that is OK for painting children's furniture will be OK for squirrels. If you don't want a painted finish, I know that a lot of people on NFSA use Thompson's Water Seal on their cages and nest boxes to keep urine stains and smell from sinking into the wood. You can also make a fairly good sized cage using just 1/2 hardware cloth put together with crab rings or J-clips. Get your tray first, so you can build the cage to fit it, whatever you use to build it.

How are the other two squirrels? Doing OK, I hope. Has the little male made any progress?

Enjoy playing with your baby, and remember that we're all here for you if you run into any problems.

muffinsquirrel

chrissy.hpr
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
well i might i get one from petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074861
look at this one, would this be ok??

muffinsquirrel
01-03-2009, 10:28 PM
The wire spacing on that cage is going to be too far apart, I'm afraid. It should be no wider than 1/2" at the most, and 3/8" would be better. Both of these cages are large, have the correct spacing, and are inexpensive. If these don't come up right when you click on them, go to eBay and do a search for 'large bird cages finches'. They have a lot of choices. The two I have listed are $69 and $99, I believe, with shipping included. I have both of these cages (quite a few of both, in fact!) and they are light weight but I have not had any problems with them. In fact, I use them for greys and foxers in rehabbing. I put a few plastic zip-ties on mine, just to make extra sure they were secure enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/large-Bird-Cage-cockatiel-sugar-glider-finch-parakeet_W0QQitemZ380091613114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item380091613114&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C 240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Bird-Cage-cockatiel-sugar-glider-finch-parakeet_W0QQitemZ380091613277QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item380091613277&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C 240%3A1318

I am very satisfied with all of mine. They will not last forever, but mine have been in use for anywhere from 5 to 8 years, and are stiill going strong. There are sturdier cages available, and I have some of those, too. But for the price, you just can't beat the ones above.

You will also need a good exercise wheel for her. I recommend the Stealth Wheel. It is more expensive than most of the others, but it is worth it, mainly because it is safe for your flyer, it is well built and will probably never wear out, and it is totally silent. Since your girl will probably run on it all night, 'quiet' is a very important consideration!

muffinsquirrel

Ardilla
01-03-2009, 10:28 PM
well i might i get one from petsmart.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3074861
look at this one, would this be ok??

7/8" wire spacing is way too big. You need something with 1/2" spacing or less.

This was Penny's first home, although I paid about 1/2 that.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753300

chrissy.hpr
01-03-2009, 11:36 PM
What about the little levels they put in to the cages? Wouldnt that be something she should have??

chrissy.hpr
01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
just a second ago i was feeding her and i noticed a rapid beating noise almost like a heart beat when i put my ear up to her. What could that mean??!!! I'm scared...because i have no idea what it could be.

chrissy.hpr
01-04-2009, 12:34 AM
the noise went away within seconds, I went into the bathroom and ran a very hot shower until it was steemy, i think that helped a bit by opening up her nasal cavity more if that was the case. we stayed in there for about 3 minutes.

muffinsquirrel
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Shelves are very easy to put in any cage. PetSmart sells straight and corner shelves for bird cages that just hook on the bars. I make my shelves from parts of old cages that I pick up at flea markets, from panels of the play pens they make for guinea pigs, from pieces of 1X6 lumber, etc.

The sound you heard might very well have been her heartbeat. They also make a purring, vibration sound sometimes.

muffinsquirrel

chrissy.hpr
01-04-2009, 01:14 AM
ok, heh I'm getting so nervous about her.

chrissy.hpr
01-04-2009, 11:34 AM
last night she was bloated, so i ran her under the warm water and rubbed her belly. within 30 minutes the bloating went away:) I was sooooo realived....She is doing good. I'm lowering her formula concentration to 1 part esibalic to 3 parts water...just for awhile until tommorow.

chrissy.hpr
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753352

this one good?
she needs one soon, she is very smart and knows how to manuver out of the box.....heh

rolo02
01-04-2009, 03:35 PM
that's a good cage but I would not use that wheel. Their feet are so small they might get caught and get hurt. I saw where MS told you to get the stelth wheel and that is a good idea. I have the woodent wheel for demetri and he loves it and runs in it all night just about!! Either one would be good but as far as the cage its self it should be fine

Ardilla
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that last one is ok. I agree about getting rid of the wheel, as it's unsafe, and I'd also ditch the ramps (flyers don't really need them and they get in the way of jumps).

chrissy.hpr
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
today i went to town not thinking it would take long, and i came back and hour past her feeding time....I fed her immediately and she seemed weak just after like .5 ml of formula....:dono I left her to sleep because that seemed what she wanted to do. I'm gonna feed her the next scheduled time.
Anyone know what I can do??
It's scaring me:(