PDA

View Full Version : Esbilac Storage

Mickey's Mom
01-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Happy New Year TSB members,

Does anyone know how long it is "safe" to use frozen Esbilac? As a rehabber, I sometimes have half-used containers of Esbilac at the end of a squirrel season and of course put it in the freezer with the date frozen. But once frozen does it still degrade? Is it OK to use 6 months later -- a year later -- or more? Haven't been able to get a real answer out of the wildlife hospital I volunteer at, and I don't see anything on the can about long-term storage.

Or -- is it okay as long as it looks and smells "normal"? By that I mean, I have had the experience of opening a brand new (not refrigerated or frozen) can of Esbilac and knowing it was spoiled by the off color and the weird "plastic-like" smell. So I'm thinking if the frozen stuff looks and smells good when I open it, even if it's a year old, it might be fine?? And as a side thought, perhaps there is a better container to store it in than the half-empty can?

I hate to throw it away -- it's so expensive. But on the other hand, I am afraid to take a chance with new babies if there's a chance it could be spoiled or nutritionally not as good. Ideas??

Charles Chuckles
01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't know but if you can store it in something other than the can, plastic would be better. I think it would be alright to use.:dono

island rehabber
01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Mickey's Mom, what I do is put the remaining Esbilac in a ziploc and squeeze every bit of air out by rolling the bag tightly...then zip....then repeat with a second bag over that. Then you can either put the double-bagged mixture right into the freezer or put it into the plastic container again so you know what it is.
PS: if you put the ziploc right into the freezer, LABEL it as Esbilac. Otherwise, a few months from now it will end up over your spaghetti as parmesan cheese :D.

muffinsquirrel
01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
PS: if you put the ziploc right into the freezer, LABEL it as Esbilac. Otherwise, a few months from now it will end up over your spaghetti as parmesan cheese :D.

:rotfl :rotfl :rofl4 :rofl4 :rofl4 :rofl4 :rotfl :rotfl
Is that the voice of experience we hear? Well, how did it taste?

muffinsquirrel

Mickey's Mom
01-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Mickey's Mom, what I do is put the remaining Esbilac in a ziploc and squeeze every bit of air out by rolling the bag tightly...then zip....then repeat with a second bag over that. Then you can either put the double-bagged mixture right into the freezer or put it into the plastic container again so you know what it is.

IR, that's a great suggestion! It makes perfect sense that the less air in contact with it, the better it would keep. Thanks! :thankyou But any advice on how long you think it should be safe to use when thus stored?? :poke

island rehabber
01-01-2009, 10:24 PM
:rotfl :rotfl :rofl4 :rofl4 :rofl4 :rotfl :rotfl
Is that the voice of experience we hear? Well, how did it taste?

muffinsquirrel

Dunno....you'll have to ask my NRBF.....:hidechair :rofl4

Mickey's Mom
01-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Gamma's Baby, thanks! :thankyou That's just the information I needed. Now why didn't I think to look at their website (didn't even think about them having a website). Oh well, that's why it's so nice to have lots of brains at your disposal on TSB! :D

fsalter53
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I like the idea of putting the milk in ice trays, much faster and cleaner, but
let me ask you all something, how do you get that Ice cube warm and ready for the babies, and does it dilute it by freezing it????:dono