PDA

View Full Version : new baby, having issues

thundersquirrel
08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
hey guys,

i'm going out of town for about five days, but we got a new little fox squirrel last night (female, about 4 weeks old).

she had some maggots on her, near a small wound near her bottom, but we took care of that, we think. in addition, her nose is bleeding. it's obvious that she has aspirated her own blood, or there is internal bleeding of some sort (i think it's the former).

basically, it's given her pneumonia, and her chest rattles. she's very weak and won't eat much right now, because it's hard for her to breathe and eat at the same time.

finally, she keeps throwing her head back in an uncomfortable way, as if she's sustained some brain damage.

any advice would be helpful. we've got some antibiotics that we plan on giving her, but that's pretty much all we can think of besides keeping her warm and trying to feed her.

:thankyou

island rehabber
08-30-2006, 02:06 PM
hey guys,

i'm going out of town for about five days, but we got a new little fox squirrel last night (female, about 4 weeks old).

she had some maggots on her, near a small wound near her bottom, but we took care of that, we think. in addition, her nose is bleeding. it's obvious that she has aspirated her own blood, or there is internal bleeding of some sort (i think it's the former).

basically, it's given her pneumonia, and her chest rattles. she's very weak and won't eat much right now, because it's hard for her to breathe and eat at the same time.

finally, she keeps throwing her head back in an uncomfortable way, as if she's sustained some brain damage.

any advice would be helpful. we've got some antibiotics that we plan on giving her, but that's pretty much all we can think of besides keeping her warm and trying to feed her.

:thankyou

TS, the thing that comes to mind is that the combination of bloody nose and throwing her head back seems neurological -- head trauma, in other words. If she was "just" clicking -- bad enough on its own, but the antibiotics would be the solution. But I have seen the head-throwing thing and it didn't bode well...prepare yourself mentally. At the same time, keep her warm and quiet and hope for the very best. We all will, too.