PDA

View Full Version : babies losing hair

squirrelloves
12-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi. We recently found three babies squirrel that fell out of their nest.. We have had Hammy , Jazzy, and Noshawn for about a month now and they have been doing great thanks to some great advice i found on this website:thankyou . Recently Noshawn and Jazzy started losing their hair and I'm not sure why.. I'm hoping someone can help me

Elizabeth
12-26-2008, 11:14 AM
:Welcome to The Squirrel Board! I'm sure one of our members with experience in this topic will be along shortly with advice for you (and lots of information on squirrel care). In the meantime, if you are able to post some pictures of your babies showing the hair loss it would be very helpful to our experts. :)

I hope you enjoy our little squirrely place on the internet! :jump

island rehabber
12-26-2008, 11:27 AM
squirrelloves, what are you feeding the babies? Nutrition problems are the most common reason for hair loss, so maybe we can start there. :)

squirrelloves
12-26-2008, 02:09 PM
I think they are about 4 wees old. i've been feeding them esbilac every three to four hours and i also give them apples.. how do you post a picture?

island rehabber
12-26-2008, 03:20 PM
hmmm. feeding sounds good so far. What is their bedding and container like? Can it be they are rubbing their fur off on something, like a sticky surface or rough cloth? :dono Are their eyes opened yet?

island rehabber
12-26-2008, 05:49 PM
squirrelloves, do you see any red spots or irritation in the skin under the places where they are losing hair? Put them on a white sheet or white paper for a few minutes and scratch those areas gently....any red mites or fleas coming off them?

squirrelloves
12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Yes they have thier lower teeth cause when its time for them to eat they nibble my fingers and it tickles so bad .. when we first got them they had a little fur but were nearly bald and their eyes were closed .. Their eyes have been open a little over a week maybe a week and a half. They recently started eating apples, cherrios, and pecans . Here are all the pictures i have of the babies

Ardilla
12-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Beautiful little babies! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon :thankyou for helping them!

Here's the link for aging flyers.

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1966

Sciurus1
12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
That is a Southern Flying Squirrel. They do not really fly, but when they mature, climb up high to glide down. Check our the Breed Specific group of forums, under Flying Squirrels, for more information on this species. They are noctural, so don't keep them up during the day much.

Question, Do the others have this same problem? Do the others try to nurse on each other's ears?

squirrelloves
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I realy want to than everyone for their advice . We changed the babies' cage and they are doing great . They are getting their hair back and are as cute as ever!!!:wahoo and also they are jumping!!!!:jump :multi They are growing up so fast !!! ALL THE THANKS IN THE WORLD
kayla