PDA

View Full Version : CALCIBOOST

TinyPaws
12-17-2008, 03:23 AM
How do I measure out the calciboost (liquid calcium) to his water? Would it be the same as the vitamins..1 ounce water per drop of vitamin?
:thankyou

4skwerlz
12-17-2008, 07:02 AM
I was unable to find out how much calcium, magnesium, and Vit D3 are contained in the Calciboost. Does it have this info on the label?

TinyPaws
12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
This is what I found out from 2 different sites...

Calcium (ca++) as calcium boroguconate 33g/L
Vitamin D3 25,000 iu/L
Magnesium (mg++) as magnesium sulphate 2g/L

other site....Active constituents per kg...
Calcium 100g
Vitamin D3 75,000 ius
Magnesium 12g

Hope this helps....There is another member who uses calciboost for their flyer, but I forget who it is....Maybe they'll see the post....

muffinsquirrel
12-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Joan, on NFSA, uses this for her flyers. She mixes it 3/4 teaspoon to 8 ounces water, and keeps it in the refrigerator. She's very very knowledgeable about flyers, and I would trust whatever she does.

muffinsquirrel

TinyPaws
12-18-2008, 01:41 AM
Thank you.....With the calciboost having vitamin D3 will he still need to have the multi-vitamins every other day? Is the calciboost given every day or every other day? :thankyou MS

4skwerlz
12-18-2008, 06:53 AM
I don't know anything about flyers, and I certainly wouldn't naysay anything an experienced flyer person tells you. But here is some info based on what I know.

According to the rat RDA, which is what we're using for squirrels for lack of anything better, the ratio of calcium in mg to Vit D in IU is 5 to 1 numerically (I say "numerically" because mgs are not the same as IUs). In other words the rat requirements are:

Calcium: 5,000 mg/kg diet
Vit D: 1,000 IU/kg diet

The Calciboost contains:
Calcium: 33,000 mg/L
Vit D: 25,000 IU/L

So the ratio, or proportion, seems to be off, with too much Vit D relative to calcium. I find this a lot with supplements designed for other species of animals like dogs, cats, birds. Maybe it's okay, we can't be sure. Just something to consider.

TinyPaws
12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
:thankyou 4S...I appreciate your caution...

muffinsquirrel
12-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I will try to check with Joan on this tonight, and let you know what she says.

TinyPaws
01-05-2009, 03:15 AM
MS.....have you had a chance to talk to Joan? I gave Timothy the calciboost mixture yesterday...I need to know how often he should get it..every other day...3 times a week....I appreciate it :thankyou

muffinsquirrel
01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm so sorry that this took so long - no excuses.....I just forgot!

Joan uses the Calciboost Powder, because it stores better. She mixes 3/4 teaspoon powder to 8 oz. water, and stores it in the refrigerator. She keeps 2 water sources in the cage at all times - one plain water, one calciboost water. Since the calciboost contains Vit.D, no other vitamin sources are used.

Hope this helps you out.

muffinsquirrel

Charles Chuckles
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Would it be good to use calciboost for grey squirrels? I wondered if I could add it to Charleys water, as he leaves a lot of cookie crumbs behind, and he is starting to slow down on eating them...I have to put them in the mic to warm them and sometimes add a little peanut butter or he is getting tired of them:dono Just wondered if that would be good to do?

4skwerlz
01-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Would it be good to use calciboost for grey squirrels? I wondered if I could add it to Charleys water, as he leaves a lot of cookie crumbs behind, and he is starting to slow down on eating them...I have to put them in the mic to warm them and sometimes add a little peanut butter or he is getting tired of them:dono Just wondered if that would be good to do?

You have to make sure you don't give a lot of extra nuts and treats, as they will prefer those. If the squirrel block is their main source of NUTS, they will continue to love them.

If you're making your own blocks, it also helps to change the nut mixture sometimes. More pecans in one batch. Or try hazelnuts, etc. etc. Some squirrels really don't care for almonds. Also if you're using the wheat bran, try cutting that out of the recipe.

Henry's been eating the blocks now for about 8 months, and still eats them eagerly. There are days of course, when he doesn't seem interested, but that doesn't last long.

Charles Chuckles
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
You have to make sure you don't give a lot of extra nuts and treats, as they will prefer those. If the squirrel block is their main source of NUTS, they will continue to love them.

If you're making your own blocks, it also helps to change the nut mixture sometimes. More pecans in one batch. Or try hazelnuts, etc. etc. Some squirrels really don't care for almonds. Also if you're using the wheat bran, try cutting that out of the recipe.

Henry's been eating the blocks now for about 8 months, and still eats them eagerly. There are days of course, when he doesn't seem interested, but that doesn't last long.
:thankyou 4skwerlz, so you don't think extra vitamins/calcium in water is necessary right:dono

4skwerlz
01-10-2009, 11:57 AM
:thankyou 4skwerlz, so you don't think extra vitamins/calcium in water is necessary right:dono

If he's eating 1-3 squirrel blocks per day, then you shouldn't need any extra vitamins/minerals. Just some healthy veggies and a little fruit maybe.

Feed a squirrel block for breakfast with no other food.

Another one for lunch.

Then later, some healthy veggies.

Finally, before bedtime, some fruit or a nut or other treat.

Make sure he doesn't have stashes of food hidden.

Charles Chuckles
01-10-2009, 04:57 PM
If he's eating 1-3 squirrel blocks per day, then you shouldn't need any extra vitamins/minerals. Just some healthy veggies and a little fruit maybe.

Another one for lunch.

Yes he does have a big stash of nuts, he hasn't touched them in a month or more but he would if he wanted a fix:rotfl thanks for the help:thumbsup

Charles Chuckles
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Another one for lunch.

Yes that worked, he ate the cookie..only prob now is he begs and mommy has a hard time not giving in:poke :osnap

4skwerlz
01-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes that worked, he ate the cookie..only prob now is he begs and mommy has a hard time not giving in:poke :osnap

Henry is a little beggar too. If he begs, he gets another squirrel block.:D

Charley's missing his treats, but he will quickly get used to the new routine and rules. Good job.:thumbsup