PDA

View Full Version : Not a squirrel ?- My skinny pig died

Tammy
12-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi- Hope someone can help me. I got a skinny pig about 2 months ago. He was doing great- no signs of illness- peeing-pooping-everything ok. He "wheet wheet" in the morning just like my other 2. This morning I go to feed him at 8am. He is stretch out in front of his house- cold. I ran him to get him on heating pad/ flannel. He was lathargic- pooped ok- didn't want water. He sadly passed. Upon taking a closer look at him I found this green substance inside the roof and sides of his mouth. It is very foul smelling and quite a bit of it. I don't know what he died from? Just trying to figure it out. Any ideas anyone????:dono

ilovetwiggy
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
If you really want to find out have a vet see it.
mjs

JLM27
12-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry you lost your little friend. So sad when they leave us like that. Just what is a "skinny pig"?

Charles Chuckles
12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Are you talking about a pig, could of he ate something that caused it? However I think pigs can eat just about anything including a rattle snake. I am so sorry you lost the little one:dono

Ardilla
12-10-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( :grouphug

I'm confused as well. Do you mean a pig that's not fat? Or maybe a guinea pig? :thinking

island rehabber
12-10-2008, 09:58 PM
They are a type of almost hairless guinea pig. I'm sorry you lost him, Tammy. Sounds like some kind of infection, the rule of thumb being "if there's whiteish, yellowish, or greenish stuff coming from anywhere, it's probably infection." :(

Ardilla
12-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks, IR. They're cute.

http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS303US303&q=skinny+pig&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Poor little guy. :(

skye
12-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.
R.I.P little one

TexanSquirrel
12-11-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this.:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

lookmomchickens
12-11-2008, 08:58 AM
:grouphug

wheezer
12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
So sorry for your loss:grouphug

Caglemedic
01-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Chances are its some thing he ate. what did you feed him? Also if he was skinny, he could of had failing kidneys. Pigs froth at the mouth when they are hungry, but what were his signs and symptoms. Did he cough, how long did he not want water or food? Also could he have gotten near anti freeze, even a drop? Always remember, if they dont eat get them to a vet quickly. Once I get the info from you I will contact my piggy friends that do rescues and find the cause.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Its not an actual pig its a hairless Guinea Pig. The only way to know what exactly happened is to have a necropsy done. However in order to do that you would have to have refrigerated the body immediately other wise it might affect the diagnoses. No one will be able to tell you what exactly happened with out one.
Sorry for you loss. I would take your other into the vet asap to make sure it is not contagious.
On another note being that G pigs eat greens and alfalfa based pellets the green you see may be from them ground up in the teeth mixed with fecal matter a some will eat their own poo for more nutrients..
It could have been anything from GI Stasis to a parasite to not being able to keep warm enough. Please take your others into the vet to be examined and get fecal floats done.