PDA

View Full Version : almonds contribute to aggression?

gs1
12-01-2008, 05:58 PM
hi:

i think it's true (someone did mention this a while back) ... gs1 was the original almond squirrel ---feisty, aggressive, dominant (although always charming to me) ---

but now for several weeks she's been having no almonds and mostly hazelnuts (filiberts) and walnuts she seems much, much more gentle and less aggressive to the other squirrels

... and while she was always very sweet to me she did once bite me by mistake several months ago ...

well, again yesterday, i was stupid and had nuts in my hand and while she 'tasted' my finger she didn't bite at all ... she just let go and went looking for the 'real' nut....

sooooo it's something to think about .... maybe if i'd just given her 1 per day in the shell it would have been different but she'd have several, several times per day - she'd bury everything else but the almonds - those she'd eat.

all for now.
(ps: she's a wild squirrel)

4skwerlz
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
I don't think there's anything special about almonds. Whatever their favorite food is will make them more aggressive. My Henry turns into "rabid vampire squirrel" whenever pecans are involved:D....though fortunately no biting, but then he's a pet. With wilds, it's best to keep some distance. It's tempting to encourage them to become more tame (I know...I was "squirrel mom" to a bunch of wildies for years), but they NEED those wild instincts to survive.

JLM27
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm a squirrel mommy to wild squirrels and half of them will come and take a nut out of my hand, but if I move my hand or my body or a piece of clothing, they are gone in a flash. They don't usually stick around when anyone else shows up EXCEPT the other people that live in my house! They won't approach my fellow condo owners, but they do not run from them either. Now, how do you think they know who lives in my house? I live in a large building that has three condos in it, each one a floor-through. I live in the top condo. As far as I know, I am the only one who sticks her head out the back window.

CupCake'sMomma
12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
My Cupcake loves almonds, especially in the shell - shes an indoor squirrel and i havent noticed if they make her more aggressive or not. She is pretty docile and will let me take the nuts away from her whiles shes eating them. Maybe your baby just has a special fondness for those tasty almonds and they make her a little bonkers! :jump

FLUFFYTAILNUT
12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
:dono Ive noticed a little personality difference in MY SWEET BEAN...
I think it's the instictual TIME of the year....even for an inside....never been a WILD squirrel in his life..to hang on to his stash...protect....your nuts...it's YOUR food for survival.....thing....:crazy
Like Bean..is ever..in want of anything....but..lately...he's been very protective...of his nuts.....:dono Gotta resect his..space...:thumbsup
A little temporary INSANITY... :hyper :D