PDA

View Full Version : Where Have the Acorns Gone

Freddy
11-30-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi,

Sunday's (Nov. 30, 08) The Washington Post reports that oak trees in mush of the East Coast this year have produced no acorns. None!

Consequently, a lot of people are reporting that they're seeing starving and skinny squirrels eating garbage, inhaling bird feed, and greedily demolishing pumpkins.

There also seems to be a shortage of other tree nuts, like hickory nuts, this year on the East Coast. Arlington County (just outside Washington, DC) officials said they've never seen anything like it.

The full story can be read here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/29/AR2008112902045.html?hpid=topnews

I live in Arlington County, so I'm helping out our back yard buddies by putting out corn, nuts and other goodies for them. According to The Washington Post, other people are doing the same.

Freddy

Snipe
11-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for feeding these poor critters, they are probably gonna be happy seeing you show up and filling feeders for them this winter.

As far as the article, they seem confused as to why their was no crop this year and then they state that oaks get most of their pollination by airborne pollen and the weather records show it was the 3rd wettest month on record since 1871.

It really doesn't take a degree in Botany to figure out wet pollen doesn't get carried very far by the wind. :thinking

The problem is while these so called educated people are trying to figure it out, lots of animals are going to suffer. :shakehead

Maybe I could get one of those nice fat Government grants to go back and study it then take the money and have nuts shipped in for all those starving little Tree rats before some grant is issued for some educated idiot to study why is the animal population is declining in that area.

4skwerlz
11-30-2008, 09:30 AM
This is terrible news. I just hope and pray that people will help feed our fuzzy friends.

I can't help but wonder if this crop failure will be followed by a mass migration of squirrels to new territories. Believe it or not, there have been a number of such migrations in the U.S., where literally millions of squirrels migrated en masse, crossing highways, swimming large rivers, and devastating crops along the way. Here's an interesting article on this phenomenon. The authors seem to feel that food availability wasn't a factor, yet the migration clearly occurred during a year of low acorn production, following a year of in which there was a bumper crop, so I think the authors are missing something....

http://www.myoutbox.net/flyger.htm

I'm heartbroken to think of all those hungry squirrels, but suppose this is some sort of "natural cycle. Nature can be really cruel sometimes.:shakehead

It might be interesting if our TSB members could report on the acorn crop in their areas.

Here is an excerpt from the article about the 1968 migration. It is heartwarming to see that many people tried to help the squirrels, but apparently the authors felt this was misguided. I wonder why. And if there's anything that can or should be done now.....?

During September of 1968, squirrel activity in portions of eastern United States was unusual and spectacular enough to be noticed by sportsmen, motorists, and farmers as well as game wardens and biologists. Local newspapers, radio and television stations reported the activities but greatly distorted the situation; some going as far as to advise people to feed squirrels. Signs in supermarkets and elsewhere gave similar advice in the North Carolina area, and some people responded by sending checks to the North Carolina Game and Fish Department to help pay for squirrel food and requested that the department undertake a squirrel-feeding program immediately. Enterprising Tennesseans organized volunteer Florida residents to gather acorns for shipment to Tennessee. Sportsmen requested that the North Carolina and Tennessee Game and Fish Departments open the squirrel seasons early and double the bag limits, and indeed this was done by the Tennessee Game and Fish Commission

FallensMommie
11-30-2008, 10:23 AM
I know in my area of Florida acorns have been plentiful. I have acorns in the freezer as I harvested them on a down tree and the tree was LOADED with acorns :alright.gif The squirrels in my area are the fattest I have seen them ever before and the hickory nuts were plentiful also. Then again we never got to saturated this year...even with Fay while our whole surrounding area was drenched and under water....we sat in the eye and never got much of anything but a few inches of rain and very little wind.

It's sad to hear other areas are suffering though and the squirrels and other wildlife are paying the price...I sure hope many have good hearts and help them during this time of need.

What I have noticed though was while some species of oak trees seem to be overloaded with acorns some other species hardly produced any this year. I am leaving my oak tree alone as it did produce acorns but not enough to feed all the squirrels in my general area, luckily we are in a area with a lot of oaks so should be enough food. My driveway would normally have acorns on it, but this year the squirrels are eating them all before they get a chance to drop, but I guess that's due to not producing as many this year.

digiandchipper
11-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Here in N. FL we seem to have plenty of acorns, though less of the Live Oak (never really paid attention to how many different kind of acorns there were until DC came) kind than the others...hickory nuts are also plentiful :thumbsup

Ardilla
11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
Deep south Texas--we seem to have plenty of Live Oak acorns. Or we did...they've mostly fallen off now. Not that I really paid attention before this year (because of Penny). But when I take my toddler for walks around the neighborhood they're all over the streets, as usual.

Those poor squirrels in the east. I hope people really are putting alternative foods out for them.

acorniv
11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Most oaks produce acorns every other year, as do hickory. I have 5 oaks trees and one hickory between my yard and the next door neighbor, and I agree - this is a very weird year for them.

Tree#1 (large round acorns) is actually a cluster of 4 trees that operate as one. It produces abundantly every other year (This should be an 'on' year) it has produced a moderate amount, but they are mushier than usual, turned black quickly and the wilds don't seem to like them. Schmootie has not eaten many I've brought her. I have been wondering why. They behave as if they went through a bad freeze but they didn't.

Tree#2 (little button acorns) was transplanted as a large seedling planted two years ago and had it's first production last fall. It did well then but none at all this year. That is normal for an oak, so it didn't concern me.

Tree #3 has not produced a single acorn in the 15 years we have lived here. Anyone know why that is? It's a good sized tree.

Tree #4 has the largest acorns of any of our local trees, and unusually large for his region. It normally produces abundantly every year. It's hard to gather them because the limbs are too high to access, so we have to collect form the ground. It is the primary source of acorns for the wilds, and produces yearly. This year - nada. Not a single acorn have I seen on the ground.

Tree # 5 produces little button acorns in the same yard, and normally produces yearly. Nada this year.

Tree #6 is the hickory and produced last year but not this - which is probably normal. I first noticed them a year ago. Last year's hickorys in my region were very small, BTW. I'm a wood carver, and last year a bunch of us on a group made Miss Hickory dolls and swapped hickory nuts all over the country. Mine were the smallest.

Tree #1 (the cluster we think of as one) is the one that concerns me the most. This is a huge oak, and it's always thrived. The trees themselves all look fine, BTW. Just the nuts are off. I'm near Atlanta and we haven;t had a lot of rain and had no early freeze. the weather has been normal. It's been slightly colder than the past two years, but those years were the odd ones.

This is disconcerting, especially since we have acquired a mouse problem and are going to have to wean the wilds off the feeders, if we want to get rid of the mice, which we must do.

FallensMommie
11-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Most oaks produce acorns every other year, as do hickory. I have 5 oaks trees and one hickory between my yard and the next door neighbor, and I agree - this is a very weird year for them.

Tree#1 (large round acorns) is actually a cluster of 4 trees that operate as one. It produces abundantly every other year (This should be an 'on' year) it has produced a moderate amount, but they are mushier than usual, turned black quickly and the wilds don't seem to like them. Schmootie has not eaten many I've brought her. I have been wondering why. They behave as if they went through a bad freeze but they didn't.

Tree#2 (little button acorns) was transplanted as a large seedling planted two years ago and had it's first production last fall. It did well then but none at all this year. That is normal for an oak, so it didn't concern me.

Tree #3 has not produced a single acorn in the 15 years we have lived here. Anyone know why that is? It's a good sized tree.

Tree #4 has the largest acorns of any of our local trees, and unusually large for his region. It normally produces abundantly every year. It's hard to gather them because the limbs are too high to access, so we have to collect form the ground. It is the primary source of acorns for the wilds, and produces yearly. This year - nada. Not a single acorn have I seen on the ground.

Tree # 5 produces little button acorns in the same yard, and normally produces yearly. Nada this year.

Tree #6 is the hickory and produced last year but not this - which is probably normal. I first noticed them a year ago. Last year's hickorys in my region were very small, BTW. I'm a wood carver, and last year a bunch of us on a group made Miss Hickory dolls and swapped hickory nuts all over the country. Mine were the smallest.

Tree #1 (the cluster we think of as one) is the one that concerns me the most. This is a huge oak, and it's always thrived. The trees themselves all look fine, BTW. Just the nuts are off. I'm near Atlanta and we haven;t had a lot of rain and had no early freeze. the weather has been normal. It's been slightly colder than the past two years, but those years were the odd ones.

This is disconcerting, especially since we have acquired a mouse problem and are going to have to wean the wilds off the feeders, if we want to get rid of the mice, which we must do.

I wonder if your trees were effect by the severe drought there last year which would have effected the acorn production beings the trees would have went into survival mode instead of production mode :dono

Snipe
11-30-2008, 01:06 PM
:thinking
Maybe we should tell Congress to use some of that bailout money and build 4s a state of the art new kitchen assembly line, she could mass produce Squirrel Blocks and then do an air drop over all those hungry little furballs :rotfl

I'd rather see the wildlife get the funds then the fat cat execs :D

JLM27
11-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Nobody wants those arrogant slimeballs to get the money, but you can bet they already have their snouts in the trough sure enough! They believe (like others believe in their religion) that they are entitled to our money.

I live in Massachusetts about five miles from Massachusetts Bay. Our oak trees across in the park did not produce this year I have seen them do so abundantly), but a few oaks in the back have produced their little tiny acorns that the squirrels are harvesting, and I picked up about a bushel for them from one of the white oak trees out on the trolley line. This latter is a tree in the middle of mucho traffic and I did not want any of them out there trying to get the nuts themselves so I picked them up to bring into the backyard. BUT guess what. My spoiled brats have been turning their noses up at them! Maybe they will think better of it when the snow comes.

miraclesquirrel
11-30-2008, 04:46 PM
The trees I get mine from did not produce well the last couple years. This year is slim pickens. Don't know what type of trees they are.

Secret Squirrel
12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Here in coastal South Carolina we had a bumper crop this year.
My thoughts are with you snipe....wet weather makes for poor pollinationtinfoil no rocket science required !!!!!!! LOL!!!

Al's mom
12-10-2008, 09:18 PM
The squirrels are going NUTTY around here, yes I think the acorn crop was far short of what they needed. What should we put out for the wilds this winter???? I have only so many almonds, hazelnuts and mixed nuts. I hate to give peanuts, I give some apple slices every day, as well as kale, carrots and whatever vegetables I prepare for my family. It's funny, I put out some cucumber and they only ate the seeds. My Al gets his special serving of avocado most days, he needs it this year!

Ardilla
12-12-2008, 01:27 PM
There's an article on CNN.com today.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/12/12/acorn.shortage/index.html

Al's mom
12-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I liked the quote about squirrels being resourceful, they do find stuff to eat. I see them running down the block with a whole slice of pizza, or a donut or bagel. But can they survive the winter on that junk? especially when there will be much less junk once people hibernate for the winter?:thinking ( I live next to an athletic field, so the squirrels pick up the garbage there)

NewMommy
12-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I have lived in my present home for 2 and 1/2 years now and have been feeding the wildlife since I moved here. This fall, I stopped and picked up acorns as I took walks and brought them home with me and put them under the trees where I feed the squirrels. None of the squirrels ate the acorns at all. They are probably spoiled from the nuts, sunflower seeds and corn that I put out. At night, I feed up to 10 flying squirrels that all come down when they hear me shaking the can of nuts. I must say, the wildlife eat better than I do!!

Freddy
12-13-2008, 10:55 AM
All,

For those who have been asking what they could feed the wild squirrels, I'll state what I've been feeding them. You can make of it as you please.

I started by feeding some dog treats called "Milk Bone," but I stopped using that product because it contained too much animal protein. That's not good for squirrels, I was told by forum members.

So, I then switched to a vegetable based dog treat. The local pet outlets don't carry anything made specifically for squirrels. I'm now using a dog treat product by OldMotherHubbard called Just Vegg'n. The ingredients on the product state the following:

"Whole Wheat Flour, Oatmeal, Wheat Bran, Molasses, Carrots, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Ground Flaxseed, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Parsley, Garlic, Sea Salt."

That's it. I don't like the salt part, but what can you do. The downside is that a 20 oz. (1 lb. 4 oz.) bag costs $7.49. That product has to be better than the garbage and other god knows what squirrels can find to eat laying around.

I keep the cost down by supplementing the veggie biscuits with some corn, peanuts, and some filberts I purchased from an on-line source for $1.89 a pound, plus shipping. I bought 10 pounds of the nuts, which totaled $30 delivered. These items last a long time, so the cost isn't that bad, spread over time.

As best as I can tell, I have about a dozen, or so, backyard squirrels. They clean up all the various food items I mentioned above. I figure that I'm giving them nothing harmful, and perhaps I'm even being too good. Beats starving.

Just my way of dealing with the nut shortage. I live in Arlington County, Virginia, right in the middle of that area containing the severe nut shortage.

Freddy