PDA

View Full Version : Milk Bone

Freddy
11-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Hi,

I've begun feeding my backyard squirrels some Milk Bone, a brand of dog food snack made by Del Monte. I'm sure many of you are familiar with that product.

My concern is whether that product is good for squirrels. The ingredients list such contents as wheat flour, milk, soybean meal, beef meal and beef bone meal, beef fat, and other stuff including preservatives. The squirrels love the stuff.

Those ingredients look good to me, but what do you think? In addition, I also feed the squirrels corn, peanuts (roasted), and I've ordered some filberts, which I haven't received yet. I ordered the filberts from anuts.com for $1.89 per pound, plus shipping. I bought 10 pounds for $30 delivered. I thought that that price is pretty good.

Let me know what you think about the Milk Bone.

Freddy

Tomo
11-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I'd stick with organic, vegetarian dog treats if you want to give them to your squirrel. There is animal protein in milk bones and other types of bones that aren't suitable for captive squirrels. Even though squirrels are omnivores, they only eat animal meat/protein if desperate. Milk Bones, though okay for pups, probably won't do well with squirrels! Hope this helps~ :)

Freddy
11-29-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and the insights. I'll stop feeding Milk Bone to my backyard squirrels and find something more suitable. Today, I diced up an apple and put that out for them to find, along with some corn. I'm waiting on the filberts to arrive, that I bought a couple of days ago.

Freddy :thankyou