PDA

View Full Version : Turkey bones???

digiandchipper
11-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! My family has, once again, demolished a turkey in record time (ugh, in my opinion - the only vegetarian in the family:shakehead )

Anyway, back on topic: I'm sure, I think, well maybe..that I've read somewhere here that you can give squirrels chicken bones? I know, sounds so dangerous, but I'm almost positive, I think? that I HAVE read it....my question: can we give them turkey bones? Like maybe a BIG one they could gnaw and grrr over for a while?

Please let me know, if you get a chance. Would like Digi and Chipper to have an extra nice Thanksgiving, too:)

:thankyou in advance for any advice, expertise, etc,etc.......and, again, Happy Thanksgiving....:Love_Icon

digiandchipper
11-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Come on, people...I need to know.....at least tell me if I'm crazy (I can take it!:multi ) Won't be on much longer...full belly = early bedtime...

muffinsquirrel
11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
My flyers all LOVE chicken leg bones. I've never tried them on my greys - there's just a limited number of chicken legs that show up in one 2-person home! I think turkey bones would be just that much better! Tell them to ENJOY!

Oh yes, I raised dogs for years, so the phrase 'chicken bones' had always been a big No-No around here. It was really really hard to do when I gave my flyers their first ones. (By the way, they will enjoy some of the white meat, too.)

muffinsquirrel

TexanSquirrel
11-27-2008, 09:45 PM
What muffin said - don't give them to the dogs!

PBluejay2
11-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Squirrels sort of "shave" off pieces of bones rather than crunch them up and gobble them down like dogs, so while chicken/turkey bones can splinter and harm dogs, I'm thinking they'd be okay for squirrels. Unfortunately, I'm not courageous enough to try the experiment on my squirrels, so let me know how it goes. Also, it's my understanding that squirrels are more omnivores than herbivores and need/want/sometimes crave animal protein, so I give them a bit of canned chicken breast on occasion which sometimes and sometimes not they go for.

Ardilla
11-28-2008, 08:58 AM
At muffinsquirrel's recommendation, I've given Penny (a flyer) chicken bones and pieces of chicken, and she LOVES it. She doesn't crunch the bones--she slowly grinds it down with her teeth. She also likes the marrow. I plan to give her some turkey today (I forgot yesterday), but I think a flyer might be too small to handle a whole turkey leg. :rotfl

digiandchipper
11-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I know all my life I've lived under the NO NO NO chicken/turkey bones for cats and dogs..........when I read it was okay for squirrels, I thought I had a 'senior moment'. So, THANKS! for your responses and I am now setting out to spread some post-Thanksgiving cheer to my babies:thumbsup :D :thankyou

Will post later on the reception...:wave123

Legomom
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
We've given chicken bones to our sqs in the past without a problem. Teddy has had a few, too. Last night, I took a leg bone & broke it in half.....still as big as him....he was one happy flyer! Happy belated Thanksgiving, D&C!

pssst - where r my nuts? :jump love, teddy :Love_Icon

Ardilla
11-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, we're posting pics!

Here's Penny with her first chicken bone.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/3018146654_45292e5813.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3018146776_42bdaf59c3.jpg?v=0

Legomom
11-28-2008, 12:43 PM
You can help me feed her son's addiction to flyers & maybe he'll add Penny to his wallpapers! :jump

digiandchipper
11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah!!! More pics for the addict!:wahoo :wahoo

Lego and Teddy.........nuts are on the way (unless the nut gremlin messes with them AGAIN:shakehead :poke )

lillysmom
11-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Oh, we're posting pics!

Here's Penny with her first chicken bone.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3159/3018146654_45292e5813.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3018146776_42bdaf59c3.jpg?v=0

now there's a picture contest winner

digiandchipper
11-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Okay... so it looks like bones are a big hit with those cute little flyers ...
(everyone say 'awwww', we LOVE 'em!)...
HOWEVER:
Digi and Chipper have decided that sacrificing a turkey for a holiday meal is soooo not cool (perhaps they are vegetarian like their 'mommy'?). They both took a turn giving the bone a sniff, backed away as fast as they could, then studiously ignored it until the maid (me) removed the offending article half hour later.
A happy holiday was had by all, however, when I gave them each a pecan half dusted with calcium. Then I finished off the rest of the sweet potato pie. Mmm-hmm, all is cool.:D :thumbsup

island rehabber
11-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I know grey squirrels eat bones in the wild because once or twice I've observed my releases munching happily on the bones of a dead bird.....:yuck

digiandchipper
11-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Hmmm, perhaps this is another indication that DC are not quite ready for the wild...? And I second your motion of:yuck on the dead bird thing.

adoptedmom
11-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Okay... so it looks like bones are a big hit with those cute little flyers ...
(everyone say 'awwww', we LOVE 'em!)...
HOWEVER:
Digi and Chipper have decided that sacrificing a turkey for a holiday meal is soooo not cool (perhaps they are vegetarian like their 'mommy'?). They both took a turn giving the bone a sniff, backed away as fast as they could, then studiously ignored it until the maid (me) removed the offending article half hour later.

I think instinct dictates that they sample new foods with caution. Holden will sometimes take a tiny tiny taste of anything new that smells appealing, but then she'll leave it alone for anywhere from 2 to 24 hours before returning to it. I think the waiting period is an evolutionary thing that keeps them from eating the wrong thing. Like nature's way of checking for a bad reaction before the all clear signal is given. (either that or she suspects me of wanting to poison her). The only new food I ever saw her eat immediately was a persimmon. She went positively ape**** when I was still a foot away from her with the persimmon in my hand. I don't think I've ever seen her so excited about anything that wasn't a nut.

Anyway, you could try leaving the bones with Digi and Chipper a full 24 hours (next time you have some that are fresh, of course :) )

adoptedmom
11-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Or, since you and IR have seen them eat bones of dead birds in the wild, you should get some that aren't so fresh (and uncooked) .....

digiandchipper
11-29-2008, 08:23 AM
:sanp3 :yuck :yuck :yuck :sanp3

island rehabber
11-29-2008, 09:30 AM
:sanp3 :yuck :yuck :yuck :sanp3

ditto...:yuck