PDA

View Full Version : Squirrely connoisseur

Michigan Lady
11-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Num Num seems to have decided that he "prefers" certain foods. Those foods are walnuts and cheese. Those are the first things he picks from his dish and eats right away when I give him his new plateful of food everyday.

He gets a variety of foods daily, which include: zucchini squash, apple, sweet potato, mint leaves, blueberries, white chedda cheese, a 1/2 of a walnut, 2 pine nuts, 1 peanut, 2 acorns, 1/16 tsp of sesame seed, 1/16 teaspoon of flax seeds, 4 pieces of indian corn and 2 rodent blocks.

He seems to fill up on the cheese and walnut first, and then eats the rest of his food here and there.

Is this ok? I mean, he does it everyday, and I read somewhere that walnuts and pinenuts can cause calcium depletion... although I give him very little of them. I guess I am wanting to know if the calcium in the acorns, sesame seeds and cheese off-set it?

And, am I feeding him enough? Maybe too much? I really don't know. I know he eats all I give him.

Michelle

Frickster
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
I think the pinenuts are a bad idea....can't remember where all it's posted, but I remember there have been several that have them as like the worst nut. The rodent block and/or squirrel block is supposed to be their "main" food, I believe - but I'm sure Gamma's will be on here to give you all the specifics. I know they've told me that the nuts should be a treat AFTER they've been good little furbabies and eaten their veggies and blocks. I know it's hard to resist those cute little whiskers....but the lack of calcium is just so much worse than a squirrel temper tantrum lol.

4skwerlz
11-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi there and :Welcome to TSB.

Rodent block or homemade squirrel blocks must be at least 70% of your squirrel's diet. There is no way for them to get all the nutrition they need with food from your kitchen, even healthy veggies and such. Squirrels have unique nutritional needs, including a calcium requirement that is 50 times greater than that of humans, pound for pound. Below are some links:

Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9715

Recipe for Squirrel Blocks:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12386

whopoopwrasse
11-21-2008, 07:15 AM
I tried to look at both links and they don't work ! :(

4skwerlz
11-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Sorry about that....TSB changed servers the other day, and apparently the old links no longer work. You will find the threads in the "Squirrel Nutrition" forum. If you still have questions, just ask!

Michigan Lady
11-21-2008, 12:20 PM
He does like the sesame seeds and the rodent block as well as acorns, so I'll start giving him more of that, and less of the other nuts. :thankyou

Michelle

whopoopwrasse
11-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Sorry to butt in like this but I heard that raw peanuts are toxic to squirrels, is this true?
I bought a 22lb bag for my birds and since I know the squirrels steal them I roasted the whole bag is small batches at 350f for 20 minutes. was I wasting my time? :thinking

What else is good in a feeder?
Here's a few pics of the gang

island rehabber
11-21-2008, 01:28 PM
:jumplove those pix!!!

And very good info from 4S and Gammas....yes, a little adjustment to that diet will be very, very important for your squirrel's health, Michigan Lady. :thumbsup

Michigan Lady
11-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry to butt in like this but I heard that raw peanuts are toxic to squirrels, is this true?
I bought a 22lb bag for my birds and since I know the squirrels steal them I roasted the whole bag is small batches at 350f for 20 minutes. was I wasting my time? :thinking

What else is good in a feeder?
Here's a few pics of the gang

I love the photos!!!!

I don't think peanuts are toxic, raw or cooked, but, I heard that squirrels can become hooked on them, like a kind of "squirrel crack", and that peanuts don't have s proper enough ratio of nutrients for squirrels.
My squirrel has been getting one peanut a day (raw) and I'm going to take it down to only one peanut a week now!

I would think it's ok to give a peanut as a treat weekly, but with the load of them you said you just bought, it would take you years & years to do so! :D

Michelle

Sciurus1
11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Though not toxic, unroasted peanuts do contain a virus, which is why only roasted ones are safe to offer to wildlife, yet as you say they are junkfood for tree squirrels, so why feed them to them.

As far as nuts, Red Oak Acorns are the best choice, and available at this time of year. I would check first to see if your local venders have them for sale, but if not just go online and have them shipped to you. Also take advantage of the vegetable of the season, Pumpkin, and save the seeds to roast for your backyard squirrels.

whopoopwrasse
11-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can find locally :thumbsup
They are little thieves though aren't they, now they doing all sorts of acrobatics to try and get to the suet feeder :nono
Too late for the pumpkins around here but I can probably find them at a health food store along with many other goodies.

Sciurus1
11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
P.S. Luv your picks. You should consider entering the last one with the back end hanging out in a future photo contest!