PDA

View Full Version : CALCIUM

SUNSHINE
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
OKAY MAKIN THE BLOCK AGAIN I GOOFED ONCE AND HAD BOTH CALCIUM VITAMINS WITH D SO I JUST BOUGHT REG CALCIUM NOW I REALIZED THAT ITS NOT CALCIUM CARBONATE DOES THIS NOT MATTER? ILL GET THIS RIGHT YET I M NOT GONNA MAKE THEM UNTILL I KNOW IF THIS IS OKAY

foxsquirrels
11-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Sunshine, maybe this post by 4skwerlz will help you out!

4skwerlz (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/member.php?u=2247) http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/IMG/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_285484", true);
Henry & Hazel's Slave

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Calcium gluconate/ calcionate
Calcium carbonate is more absorbable than the glubionate. (Calcium citrate is even more absorbable, in humans anyway.) Calcium gluconate contains only small amounts of elemental calcium--avoid it. Also, I would not use anything with saccharin in it. A lot of these "mixtures" like "calglucon", etc., etc., actually contain only small amounts of calcium.... For MBD, the treatment we've been using is to correct the diet (rodent block [or squirrel blocks] as 70% of the diet plus healthy veggies) and add extra calcium for several weeks. For acute symptoms, a plain calcium carbonate or calcium + Vit D pill, crushed up in water (400-600 mg calc) per day seems to work. It can be fed with an eyedropper so that the solution is absorbed by the mouth mucosa.

The recommended daily amount of calcium is 325 mg, so you want to exceed that. Squirrels also need Vit D to metabolize the calcium. The rodent block will contain vitamin D, or as mentioned, you can use calc + Vit D. The daily recommended amount of Vit D is 71.4 IU. I would not provide more than 100 IU per day for a squirrel with MBD, as too much Vit D can actually cause calcium loss.
The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

No heaven can heaven be, unless my :Squirrel :Squirrel :Squirrel are there to welcome me...~Anonymous

It's a tragic thing to love a wild creature. It's always a tragedy because in the end, you can't protect them.

4skwerlz
11-19-2008, 10:14 PM
All that matters is the mg of calcium on the label. Though it's true some forms may be more absorbable than others, the labels will adjust for the percentages of elemental calcium.

For example, if it says "1000 mg of calcium (as calcium carbonate)"....or "(as calcium citrate)", or whatever, then it is fine.

I know it's confusing....:thinking

SUNSHINE
11-19-2008, 10:40 PM
OKAY THANKS SO MUCH

Chesters_mom
11-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I did the same thing the first time! I bought the calcium citrate and thought I couldn't make it until I got the other and then luckily read the above info about the citrate:osnap lol.

Charles Chuckles
11-21-2008, 09:09 PM
ok then is it ok to buy the citrate?..I went today but I could not find the other kind so I didn't buy it...also no way can I find calcium at 500mg with 125 IU vit D/ the close as I can find was 600mg calcium with with 800IU of D...I bought it but my husband says that wasn't what I should get but they don"t make it with 125I U....and don't even go there with the B complex the girl at the health food store was totally baffled too. she couldn't find potassium gluconate only potassium citrate so I didn't buy it...then I bought b-12 but I picked up 500 mcg instead of 100mcg:soapbox I have a few things for the blocks but now I eaither can't find the rest or I am so confussed I don't want to try it...I do not understand the Grand totals etc. If I could just go and pick up the bottles with the correct ratios that would be fine but trying to figure this all out ...a chemist I am not...and I am not going to have any hair soon cuz I am ready to pull it all out- and poor Charley is counting on his mommy for good food...SOMEONE please help me break this code!!! Now I have to go return eveything except the peanut butter and yogurt. On the plus side I did find Carlson 1000 cod liver oil gels. Well my head hurts so I will tackle this in the morning:sanp3

4skwerlz
11-21-2008, 09:36 PM
ok then is it ok to buy the citrate?..
Citrate is fine.

also no way can I find calcium at 500mg with 125 IU vit D/ the close as I can find was 600mg calcium with with 800IU of D...I bought it but my husband says that wasn't what I should get but they don"t make it with 125I U....
Then buy the calcium and the vitamin D separately. Just plain calcium (citrate or carbonate) and plain vitamin D pills.

and don't even go there with the B complex the girl at the health food store was totally baffled too.
The only thing with the b-complex is to get the kind with 100% DV for humans.

she couldn't find potassium gluconate only potassium citrate so I didn't buy it...
That should be okay.

then I bought b-12 but I picked up 500 mcg instead of 100mcg:soapbox
The only problem with the 500 mcg is that you'd have to split the pills. The 100 mcg IS hard to find....

I have a few things for the blocks but now I eaither can't find the rest or I am so confussed I don't want to try it...I do not understand the Grand totals etc. If I could just go and pick up the bottles with the correct ratios that would be fine but trying to figure this all out ...a chemist I am not...and I am not going to have any hair soon cuz I am ready to pull it all out- and poor Charley is counting on his mommy for good food...SOMEONE please help me break this code!!! Now I have to go return eveything except the peanut butter and yogurt.

The grand totals are the amounts of each vitamin/mineral that should go into each batch. I put this information there so that if you couldn't find pills with the exact dosage, you could split the pills or add more. In other words, since you need 11,000 mg of calcium, you could use eleven 1,000-mg pills, or twenty-two 500-mg pills, and so on.

On the plus side I did find Carlson 1000 cod liver oil gels. Well my head hurts so I will tackle this in the morning:sanp3
Well that's something.....:D

Once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.

jfischer
11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey Charley Chuckles:

I bought the Calcium 500+D at Walgreens Drug Store. Brand Name: Finest Natural.

Bought the Potassium Gluconate 595, MG at Krogers Grocery Store: Brand Name: Sundown.

Bought the Calcium Carbonate from the Health Food Store where I bought the "Now Whey Protein", Brand Name: "Now" , but it is a powder. I use one Teaspoon for 2 600 mg. pills. 4s, said this was ok.

4s has pictures of most of the vitamins. I printed it out and took it with me. I cound not find everthing at one store. In fact, I had to go to 4 different places to buy everything. It was frustrating, but fun. It really tested my patients, but I know my Squirrel has benefited from the Squirrel Blocks. Her fur look so much better.

Thank God for 4S development of these healthy blocks and wanting to share her receipe with us for no charge. She is really a Special Lady.

Good Luck.

jfischer
11-21-2008, 11:30 PM
The B-12 Vitamin 100 mcg can be bought at the Walgreens Drug Store. Brand Name: Walgreens Brand.

The B Complex 100% can be bought at the Kroger Grocery Store. Brand Name: Sundown.

I live in near Houston, Texas. Not sure you have these stores in your area.

Charles Chuckles
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Thank you everyone. we do have Sundown brand at Winn-Dixie and Publix I think and I should be able to find the rest...in fact hubby is on his way out the door to go look and then I will be baking this evening! It is a bit like a scavenger hunt. Charley is licking his sweet little lips in anticipation! I will let you know how it works out...can we eat these too? I bet Rachel would:crazy :thankyou Ya'll have a good daymjs