PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE SQUIRREL FOOD??

protospheric
11-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Based on your experience, what is the absolutely hands-down FAVORITE food of gray squirrels. Something they simply cannot resist?

I think peanut-butter ranks pretty high what about you?

Thanks for your opinions.

mjs

lilbear
11-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Two of my boys adore butternut squash! My third would rather eat rodent block, though. I haven't tried peanut butter. Is there a special kind for squirrels?

protospheric
11-19-2008, 07:58 AM
They seem to prefer the natural kind. No salt, no suger, just ground peanuts.

4skwerlz
11-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Nuts in the shell, avocado, sweet potatoes, junk food of any kind (like Oreo cookies :D )

TexanSquirrel
11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
:Welcome I'm going to go with pistachios (sp?).

ShesASquirrelyGirl
11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Grapes and Zuccini

Minnie's Mom
11-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Strawberries and carrots for Minnie.:jump

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
11-19-2008, 06:05 PM
I have foxers, but their favorite food is definetely nuts of any kind and as for halfway decent food they LOVE grapes and apple. For the younger little tykes their favorite food always seems to be banana, I think they just like the big sticky mess they make with it :D.

Last year when my squirrels had mange, I tried giving them peanut butter to see if they would eat it so I could add their meds to it and they refused. I was amazed at the things they turned down... peanut butter and bread, donut, cookies, they wouldn't touch any of it and that was WITHOUT meds on the food, I was testing the food out to see what I could get them to take. I ended up having to use it concentrated and just add a drop on a walnut for each of them. I guess they just didn't know what the junk food was because they hadn't ever had it :dono.

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-19-2008, 06:30 PM
My Bean...loves...Saw Palmetto Fruits (native to Florida)...Avacado,radishio,cranberries,grapes with seeds,sweet potato's,Cactus Pear's,Apples,The end of the banana that's bitter,spinich,brocolli,cauliflour,asparagus,(1)sm all piece of coconut,mushrooms,romaine lettuce,sugar snap pea's,CHERRIES,rice cakes,green bean's.the honey sticks...made for hampster's.sunflower seeds,pecan's,walnut's,Brazillian nuts,peanut's,hazel nuts......and of course..4skwerlz's...special Squirrel Blocks!!
He of course...eat's better than ALL of us!!!:rotfl
Rachel n Bean...my 1 year and 4 month old inside Florida Grey squirrel....:wave123

skwerls_R_soft
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Buddy's Moms famous critter scones...the extra peanut-buttery ones with almond chunks !
They are like Squirrel-crack.

Also, fresh corn on the cob.

Kat762
11-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Andi's favorite food that she is allowed to have is probably mushrooms,she just Loves em.

Favorite "pretend " food is nuts in the shell.(only 2 teeth, can't crack the nuts but still likes to bury and hide them and treat them like little treasures.

And she will do ANYTHING for a piece of Reese Cup ( there's the peanut butter thing :) If there's an urgent situation like I need her to go back in her cage and she doesn't want to,I just have to show her a piece of Reese,and put it in her cage,and whoooshh, she flies in after it.I always keep one in the cupboard in case there is an emergency situation I know I can get her to co-operate.

LOL, only in a squirrel house:thinking " I smell a fire,quick ,get the fire extinguisher ! " " No, first get the Reese Cup ! " :dono

Kat, owned by Andi

Charles Chuckles
11-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Charley Chuckles hands down the seeds out of a green pepper:D

Chesters_mom
11-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Pumpkin seeds, pecans, cool whip (he hasn't got this often but is crazy for it)

Al's mom
11-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Pecans, hands down. Just did an experiment with some wilds in the backyard. I gave them each a shelled pecan, they ate those right next to me, didn't even bother to scurry away, and then would not take a shelled almond or any other nut until the shelled pecans were gone, I guess they could smell them. They are pretty spoiled though. :crazy

Legomom
11-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Sounds silly, but Teddy (southern flyer) loves yougart! (And don't give him the sugar-free kind! YUCK!) So far, no fav flavor. Pecans rate a high second place. :)

As for the greys that we've had....butternut squash & pecans. The last two, Sophie & Spyro, would fight over both when I put their veggie bowl in the cage. :crazy

adoptedmom
11-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Here's a strange one: Persimmon. I brought a Fuyu persimmon home for a recipe I was planning to make. My foxer went completely crazy. I had to go back to the store to get another one for myself.