PDA

View Full Version : pecans for blocks

SUNSHINE
11-18-2008, 09:52 AM
can i use diamond brand chopped pecans i read the allergy info and it says tmay contain other tree nuts peanuts,wheat soy,milk,or sesame seeds and shell pieces the milk caought my attention, never read the nut ing before and allways used walnuts before these are the only pecans i could find what should i do?

Buddy'sMom
11-18-2008, 10:29 AM
They are fine to use. The allergy info is for humans with nut allergies -- even a speck could be harmful.

Squirrels are not allergic to peanuts. It is just that peanuts are not healthy for them to eat -- they tend to pull the calcium out of their bones, weakening them. So peanuts should not be a regular part of any squirrels diet. But possible trace amounts from equipment that may have been used with peanuts should not pose any problem for squirrels. :)

Similarly with milk -- cow's milk does not provide the proper nutrition (by a long shot!) especially for baby squirrels. But it is not poisonous. Again, if there are traces from prior equipment usage, it will not be a problem.

(The warnings are an overabundance of caution -- it is very unlikely that any traces are in the nuts. But those humans with allergies cannot be too careful. Similarly, the company's lawyers cannot be too careful --- hence the warnings!)

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

TexanSquirrel
11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
:thumbsup Kudos to you for reading the lable!

SUNSHINE
11-18-2008, 12:23 PM
thank you so much i wanted to hear that first i figured it wouldnt be enough to harm them thanks sooooooomuch :thankyou