PDA

View Full Version : Quivering

DaleJrmom2
11-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Ok at times when i go to get Elissa out of her cage she quivers. Not like she's cold, but almost like she is scared. What does this mean? Does anyone know? She sits very still and doesnt move even if its time to give her her milk. Just wondering if anyone knew what this means. Thanks

foxsquirrels
11-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Does anyone have any ideas? I have not had this happen!

digiandchipper
11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
How old is she? Has anything changed in the environment? Any pets or smells, etc that might be upsetting her. Is she outside or in?

DaleJrmom2
11-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Elissa is about 11 1/2 to 12 weeks old......She is kept inside and will not be released. Nothing has changed as far as smells and other stuff. But one thing i have been doing is opening up our windows since it has been really nice here. I figured the fresh air was good for her. I close the windows at night for it gets chilly here and i dont want her to get cold. But when the windows are closed and there is no noise she still quivers, especially at night when my hubby comes home from work. She comes out to greet her daddy but she quivers. I just thought maybe she was cold at first. But when she started doing it during the day i had to ask y'all if there was something wrong. I havent changed soaps or laundry detergents. Her diet is really good and she loves her cheerios. She only gets 2 pieces of fruit per day. Usually apple or grapes, they are her favorite. Veggies she loves loose leaf lettuce and Kale. I also give her rodent block OH and the other day she had her first Magnolia cone.....she loved it. We have a magnolia tree in our yard.

foxsquirrels
11-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Does she have full spectrum lighting since she does not go outside?

DaleJrmom2
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Does she have full spectrum lighting since she does not go outside?

No full spectrum lighting. I didnt think she needed it cause she is still taking formula 2 times a day and i put her cage in the sunlight. Am i wrong in what i have been doing? Cause if i am i will get it for her ASAP for i dont want her to get sick for my mistakes.

Frickster
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Frack used to do this...unfortunately, it turned out to be just one of many symptoms and he shortly after died of MBD. Hopefully you have caught whatever in time to help. Please listen to everyone's advice. I wish I'd found them in time to save Frack.

digiandchipper
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
If she is getting sunlight through a window glass, that would not help as the glass would block the beneficial rays. I don't know exactly how much formula she is getting but unless she is taking ONLY formula, then as Fox suggested she would need the full spectrum light - and the light needs to be no more than two feet from her area.

This may or may not be the problem - though she should have the light anyway; hopefully someone will be on soon who may have more insight.

foxsquirrels
11-11-2008, 06:47 PM
As long as she is on formula she should be just fine. But, if your intentions are to keep her I would go ahead and purchase an Ott light unless you can keep her outside for 2 to 3 hours a day. Alot of people can't keep their squirrels outside 2 to 3 hours a day for natural sunlight. Squirrels need vitamin D3 provided by the full spectrum lighting to absorb calcium. Lack of calcium absorption can cause Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). Hope this helps. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion about quivering.

foxsquirrels
11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
I tried to copy Gammas Baby's post on full spectrum lighting, I don't know if the pictures will show up or not, I hope so.
Here are the details on the Full Spectrum Lights...:thumbsup

All you have to remember.....to be a full spectrum bulb, the color temperature must be 5000K or greater, and the CRI (color rendering index) must be at least 90.

I, personally, use the Ott Lite. It does NOT say Full Spectrum on the box, but the Rep. at the company said it DOES meet all these requirements, and IS Full Spectrum. They are not only Full Spectrum, but they are the closest light to natural daylight, and that is also what we are trying to simulate with squirrels in captivity. Chris, (a very experienced rehabber for over 25 years), uses and sells only these lights. I love these lights because they have a plastic, protective shield over them to prevent them from getting hot, and burning a squirrel that may get to close. I'll list where they are found, and a picture of them, as they come in two different boxes.

Any FSL must be within 24" of the squirrel, for them to get the full effect from it. I don't think the wattage really has anything to do with it. It just depends on how bright you want the light to be.

Here's a list from the OTT Light site of where to buy the OTT OLB-17 or OLB-17R bulb:

HOBBY & CRAFT
Babylock Machine Dealers
Joann Stores
Brewer Sewing Supply
Joann.com
Checker Distributorsj
Michaels
Lumenlight.com
Nancy's Notions
Elna Machine Dealers
PFAFF
Hancock Fabrics
Simplicity Machine Dealers
Hobby Lobby
Husqvarna Viking
Janome Machine Dealers

ART SUPPLY
Dick Blick
Jerry's Artarama

OFFICE/HOME OFFICE
Fry's Electronics
Lumenlight.com
Office Depot

DEPARTMENT STORES
JC Penney - Select Locations

Bed Bath & Beyond
Home Depot

And of course,
Chris' Squirrels and More (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/ (http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/))Attached Imageshttp://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43488&stc=1&d=1215923175 http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43489&stc=1&d=1215923175 http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43490&stc=1&d=1215923175

the pictures will show up or not, I hope so.

DaleJrmom2
11-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Thank you all for your advice and i will get right on it with getting her the light. This morning when i went to feed her her breakfast she only ate maybe 3cc's of formula and wouldnt drink anymore :shakehead . As for her breakfast bowl that i fix her she just didnt seem interested. She usually is going crazy over the breakfast bowl cause it has all her favorite goodies especially her apple slice. I am now becoming a very worried mommy about my baby. I will get over to Michael's today to see if they carry the spetrum lighting. Is it expensive? I only ask cause my funds have become limited since my hubby was laid off. But come hell or high water i will find a way to get it for her! Please pray for her and thank you again y'all are just so wonderful in all the help you give:grouphug .

DaleJrmom2
11-12-2008, 06:58 AM
OH and i forgot to mention i also give her 4 to 5 rodent blocks a day too.

4skwerlz
11-12-2008, 07:19 AM
When my Henry first comes out of his nestbox, he will sometimes rest his front paws on my finger and I can feel him sort of "vibrating". You can't see it but you can feel it. It seems to be normal for him as he has always done it.

DaleJrmom2
11-12-2008, 08:42 AM
On another note.......Can i file Elissa's nails down? She got me pretty good this morning on my face and it hurt like:sanp3 . Now i have 5 good scratches on my face. Looks like i have been in a cat fight:rotfl . Just wondering if this is ok before i do so.

DaleJrmom2
11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
When my Henry first comes out of his nestbox, he will sometimes rest his front paws on my finger and I can feel him sort of "vibrating". You can't see it but you can feel it. It seems to be normal for him as he has always done it.

Ya know i was wondering if its just them trying to wake up myself. Elissa also yawns and streches then just looks at me. Sometimes she will grab my finger and just hold it for a minute then she will come to me. But the vibrating only last for a minute then back to running like a mad woman. Im just so confused as usual:thinking

digiandchipper
11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Most of us sport lots of 'love' scratches....my poor son always has one on the nose (make him look 'tough'). But if it really bothers you, I just read on another thread that you can use an emery board to 'play' with them and as they bat the board, it files their nails...also, someone else puts a rock in the cage under the food so the nails file slightly naturally as they walk on the rock daily....some people slightly trim the nails but that gives me the heebie-jeebies so you'll have to hear from someone else:D