PDA

View Full Version : Are Pomegranates ok for Squirrels?

SquirrelLove
11-10-2008, 08:57 AM
I browsed the nutrition section and I swear I'm blind today. I couldn't find anything on Pomegranates and squirrels - but like I said it could be because I'm blind lol.

I bought one and then thought I better make sure it's safe. What about the skin etc?

Thank you,
Joanne in Jax:dono

digiandchipper
11-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I know they can have the insides but don't know about the skin....hope this helps a little:dono

baby_chikito
11-10-2008, 09:31 AM
yea I feed my squirrel the inside of it and she like it... not sure of the skin either...

muffinsquirrel
11-10-2008, 11:40 AM
I just cut them into big chunks and give them to my squirrels skin and all. They don't eat the skin, but do clean out all the little seeds and most sure seem to enjoy them. Of course, like with anything, there are always a few that won't touch them, and take it as a personal affront that you would even dare offer it to them!

muffinsquirrel

Beans Brother
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Bean eats all of it skin and all :thumbsup

TinyPaws
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Timothy ate them for a bit but I guess he got tired of them :dono
I have found a green vegie he will eat though...finally....it's asparagus, he loves the heads but really goes for the stems after I peel the skin off....he won't eat them with it unpeeled..

SquirrelLove
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I cut open the Pomegranate and they dove into that like it was a Christmas feast! They loved it! Then when I brought them back inside they found my Halloween Reeses - wrapped and everything of course, and ripped that open and each STOLE a bite! Shame on them! I couldn't even grab it away fast enough! I did get it away and gave them some veggies instead. Silly squirrels!

Gotta love 'em hehe!

Thank you to everyone who replied letting me know how your squirrels do with the Pomegranates!

Joanne in FL:thankyou :jump

FLUFFYTAILNUT
11-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Edit: Bean's Brother...
Bean gets all of the Pomergranates....in chunks...BUT ONLY eats the inside....fruit..n seeds :thumbsup
Rachel....Bean's Squirrel Goddess:D :wave123

acorniv
11-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, they are tasty, and when I lived in California there was a tree that produced dainty little ones that all the local birds and squirrels made quick work of.