PDA

View Full Version : Free Feed?

scurry'smama
11-09-2008, 03:32 PM
I just had a question... with all of the info on nutrition here you would think it would be clear, but I am wondering if it is ok to leave the blocks in cage all the time? Scurry is kind of a picky eater and she will eat them if it is the last thing there and usually at random we see her munching on them. It is hard to keep track of how much per day because she hides her food a lot. She is offered lots of diff. things at all diff. times of day and will munch this and that. Also now that she's about 4 months old do I still need to get her calcium supplement into her? I have been adding a crushed calcium/ vit D tab by 1/8 tsp every 3 days or so with her milk. She is self weaning and will only take her milky when she wants, 1-2x's a day from her syringe still. Should I give her a daily Tums? I can't be sure how much of the blocks she is eating but is eating them. I am getting paranoid with all the talk of MBD and her rocky start into the weaning stage.
Thank you ahead of time for the input:thankyou

scurry'smama
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Ok thank you !!! That is what we are doing and she seems ok. After her collapse at 9 weeks I was just scared to stop the calcium... I knew too much wasn't good either, but wanted to get some in just in case. I went to every 3rd day once she seemed to actually be eating some foods offered. She went into a self-weaning stage at 9 weeks and refused her mik a few times a day for a couple of days and got very sick. Over 2 days the calcium supp kicked in and she was like she had never skipped a beat.
Thanks again!!! You are the absolute bestest!!

Jackie in Tampa
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
:wave123 Hello, in our Sq Nutrition Forum you will find a thread called Sq Blocks with a date, it's post'er $ Skwerlz...this is a recommended recipe that you can make at home. It is a calcium sup with a special side recipe for kid sqs! Make this and we will ALL feel better!:thumbsup :Love_Icon

lilysmom
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Can a squirrel eat too much of the blocks and get sick? I have made some for Lily, my 2 year old pet squirrel, and she loves them, but I was concerned that she might eat too much of it.

lilysmom
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Can a squirrel eat too much of the blocks and get sick? I have made some for Lily, my 2 year old pet squirrel, and she loves them, but I was concerned that she might eat too much of it.

samaria
11-11-2008, 05:38 AM
No single attribute makes squirrels as resourceful as they are. It is a combination of physical and behavioral adaptations that gives them an ability to obtain and consume just about anything they desire. The average gray squirrel will usually eat between 30 and 60 plant species throughout the year. The will eat nuts, seeds, fruit, flowers, mushrooms, and buds. Hickory Nut is generally regarded as its favorite meal, and unfortunately for birds and those that feed them, black oil sunflower seed is also on its list of favorites.With so many food sources to choose from, one wonders why squirrels are so frequently sighted at bird feeders.

acorniv
11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Sunflower seeds are both addictive and toxic. The addictive properties may explain the attraction to feeders :-(. As for their being toxic, they won't kill a squirrel ( although eating nothing else eventually will because it isn't complete nutrition). My squirrel becomes an ugly drunk when she gets hold of sunflower seeds. I wonder if some of the reputation squirrels have for being pests isn't due to their eating sunflower seeds and becoming obnoxious.

My Schmootie would agree that hickory/pecan (same nut) is the best food of all. She even eats some of the husk. We're sad for her that our local tree is on an off year and not producing :-(.

Laurel

Hickory Nut is generally regarded as its favorite meal, and unfortunately for birds and those that feed them, black oil sunflower seed is also on its list of favorites.With so many food sources to choose from, one wonders why squirrels are so frequently sighted at bird feeders.