PDA

View Full Version : Release...1 or 2 boxes?

YamahaGirl
08-21-2006, 03:30 PM
we have 2 baby squirrels right now, one male, one female. When it is time for them to be released, do we put one squirrel "box" up in the tree or 2 seperate ones, one for each of them?

Thanks,
heather

Critter_Queen
08-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Ours decided for us. After about 3 months of age, Libby wouldn't let Scooter in the nestbox anymore! :nono So we put up two in the release cage, one for each. Could you just put two boxes in the pre-release cage and see if they choose to be together or separate?

ETA: if they go into separate boxes, I would put them different trees so you avoid territorial issues upon release...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Let me tell you our Little girl built atleast 3 nests, meanwhile Rippie boy moved into them after she did the work!
One scene that sticks in my mind...He was in the nest during a rain storm while she hung under a cut off branch trying to keep dry.:nono
Whats wrong with that picture...men:shakehead

YamahaGirl
08-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Wow! Thank you for the information I really appreciate it, those are great ideas, I will for sure do that!

One more thing....

Do I just have to provide the box itself and they will find their own nesting "supplies" or do I supply some sort of things for them to use to build the nest?

Heather

Critter_Queen
08-22-2006, 09:21 AM
We provided leaves, twigs, shreds of fabric, etc for them to put in the second box...but you could probably put straw in there while they're in the pre-release cage so they don't have to do all the work. :)