PDA

View Full Version : mums and pyracantha bush

SUNSHINE
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
just want to make sure these are both safe i thaought i read they were excethe pyracantha bush is real thorny annd has the orange colered berries on them now i was wandering if there safe too?:thankyou

digiandchipper
11-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Yes, both safe! (If you go back through the Nutrition section, you'll find the Pyracantha thread) Glad you started this thread cause I am wondering about holly berries??? There are lots of different kinds and we have berries all over - would love to give Dig & Chip a new nummy...

SUNSHINE
11-07-2008, 12:12 PM
wow fast response thanks so much yes i am very curious about many of the different berries and plants , im scared to give them anything im terrable with name of trees and plants i want to be sure about everything :rotfl :rotfl

digiandchipper
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I know; I'm thinking about taking pictures of the stuff I question and posting here.........hopefully there are folks on the board who can identify some things for me.

lookmomchickens
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Taking pictures would be a good idea - mayne making a berry thread?

I always see tons of berries but are never sure of what they are or how safe they ate?

digiandchipper
11-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Good idea.....I think pics of both the berries, the foliage, and them together? If possible, the entire plant. That should help the experts, don't you think?

I'll go snap some pics this afternoon - and we'll see if the 'berry thread' is well-received!:thumbsup

SUNSHINE
11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
great idea:wahoo

4skwerlz
11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Most plants in the holly family (ilex) are toxic, and some are highly toxic. Of course, squirrels can sometimes eat things that are toxic to other animals, but I wouldn't feed any holly berries unless you see your wild squirrels eating them.

Just a note since the holidays are coming up: mistletoe berries are highly toxic to humans and other animals, so I'd be careful about bringing them into your house if you have squirrels.

Sciurus1
11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
:goodpost

Most plants in the holly family (ilex) are toxic, and some are highly toxic. Of course, squirrels can sometimes eat things that are toxic to other animals, but I wouldn't feed any holly berries unless you see your wild squirrels eating them.

Just a note since the holidays are coming up: mistletoe berries are highly toxic to humans and other animals, so I'd be careful about bringing them into your house if you have squirrels.

acorniv
11-07-2008, 11:52 PM
I recently found some, and collected them, but went online and checked before giving them to Schmootie. Research said they are toxic to a few animals but most tolerate them, so I went ahead and offered them. She loved them but they made her irritable and hyper. Same response as she gets to magnolia seeds and sunflower seeds. Actually the sunflower seeds are the worst of the three. These are all on the banned list at our house.

The berries she likes the best are from our dogwood. It's nice because they have them for much of the year.

Laurel

just want to make sure these are both safe i thaought i read they were excethe pyracantha bush is real thorny annd has the orange colered berries on them now i was wandering if there safe too?:thankyou