PDA

View Full Version : I bought a bag of mixed whole nuts...

lookmomchickens
11-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I bought a bag of whole nuts (in-shell) from Walmart... it's got walnuts, brazil nuts, filberts, almonds & pecans...

the question is it says this about the nuts:

Walnuts cleaned with bleach and/or liquid chlorine, Filberts treated with sulfurdioxide.

This doesn't sound very safe?! I bought these for myself, but i was hoping I could give some to my jujubug but now I think not...

What do ya'll think?

digiandchipper
11-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Sounds very unnatural, even to this Blonde. Definitely not how they'd find them in their natural environment, whether harmful or not. Mayber someone else will know for sure:dono

Mrs. Jack
11-07-2008, 01:24 AM
I think the only way to get nuts that aren't treated in this manner (which they do to keep rot and insects away) would be to either pick them up off the ground or get them at a whole foods place that can assure you otherwise. the bins at the stores of bulk nuts, and other are most likely treated in this manner. I feed my wilds bagged in shell nuts, and no one has ever had an issue with it. but it's your squirrel, and if you don't feel right about it, don't do it.

geocat52
11-07-2008, 01:45 AM
I don't know about nuts, since I am squirelless here, but did notice when I started looking at buying roses and carnations for Tortle my tortoise, that the plastic wrap clearly states "Inedible":shakehead Back to the garden I guess. Interesting how sometimes it takes our "babies" to make us look at the labels.

acorniv
11-08-2008, 12:04 AM
UGH! I just bought a 2 lb bag last night. I give Schmootie full access to these because the work to get into them means she only eats one or two a day, and that's only every few days. They are mental health treats because she has such a compulsion to bury things. She spent the entire day hiding them - hid the entire bag before lunch time, but still had the urge, so spent the afternoon taking them out of my studio ( AKA her room) and reburying them in the living room. Have started refilling the bowl for tomorrow out of the laundry basket and a box of books :rotfl

And now you tell me this :sanp3

My bag does not say anything about them being scoured. They are Diamond brand. Diamondnuts.com

I bought a bag of whole nuts (in-shell) from Walmart... it's got walnuts, brazil nuts, filberts, almonds & pecans...

Walnuts cleaned with bleach and/or liquid chlorine, Filberts treated with sulfurdioxide.

This doesn't sound very safe?! I bought these for myself, but i was hoping I could give some to my jujubug but now I think not...

What do ya'll think?

muffinsquirrel
11-08-2008, 01:43 AM

What do ya'll think?

Cleaning the walnuts with bleach doesn't sound like a problem, as I am sure they are rinsed, and bleach evaporates (or something) when exposed to air. Bleach is used to clean cages as well as logs, etc, that are put in the cage to climb and chew on. It gets rid of all the bacteria as well as the creepy-crawelies that might be on them. I have no hesitation about giving walnuts to my squirrels. I also give them filberts, or hazel nuts quite often. I have no idea what sulphurdioxide is or does, but it has never harmed my squirrels. I use them a lot with the flyers - they really seem to like them.

muffinsquirrel

Jackie in Tampa
11-08-2008, 01:48 AM
:thumbsup Me too! I think your safe!

bobosoltan
11-08-2008, 07:06 AM
You guys don't want to know how much stuff you eat is treated with bleach.. If givin time to evaporate bleach is safe. In the 40's meat packing plants soaked old meat in bleach to kill rot and then served it to people. Today foodstuffs like eggs, nuts and a host of other foods are cleaned with bleach before you buy it. :osnap

lookmomchickens
11-08-2008, 06:57 PM
:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

I will continue on with these then in moderation... I'll keep the filberts away from him until I know for sure what sulfurdioxide is/does...

muffinsquirrel
11-08-2008, 07:53 PM
The hazelnuts are bleached by exposure to sulfur dioxide to "enhance appearance".

http://books.google.com/books?id=vUXKIkjDtAQC&pg=RA1-PA257&lpg=RA1-PA257&dq=sulfur+dioxide+in+filberts&source=bl&ots=FZy68z_K-E&sig=WJFw9ctF7DiJu764Sm0FSKTEnAo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result

I have been giving my flyers hazel nuts for around 8 to 10 years now, and have never seen any bad effects from it. I never realized that they were treated with sulfur dioxide (so are dried fruits), but since I haven't had any problems, I will continue to feed hazel nuts to my flyers and tree squirrels.

muffinsquirrel

SquirrelLove
11-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Dang I just bought some of those nuts from Walmart last night and gave 4 of them to Fay and Jazz. They were having a great time working them over. They haven't yet opened up the walnut or whatever that big roundish one is.

They don't seem sick yet - they are bugging me for attention tho, but that's normal lol!

Joanne in Jax