PDA

View Full Version : maggots

Wendi
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I just recieved 2 babies, 4 weeks old, covered in tiny maggots, they have tiny bumps on them and the male has a few open wounds, I gave them baths, but I'm afraid they have gotten inside, my vet said I should put them down, there's nothing to do, I don't want to jump the gun, should I wait?, does anyone have any ideas? is there a way to be possitive that they are inside? they are eating and have spunk, but are very skinny. any natural cures? any help at all will be appreciated.

Critter_Queen
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Hi Wendi,

Please read my post below about a six-week old that needs wound help (GRAPHIC). I recently tried to save a female fox squirrel infested with maggots and it didn't work...but some people have had luck with some critters, so don't give up unless you think it's hopeless.

If you read that thread, it should give you all the information you're looking for.

First and foremost, you MUST get ALL the maggots out. Don't cover the wound(s) or slather it in ointment until you are SURE you got all the maggots and that can take a few days for them all to surface. I would recommend getting some Capstar from the vet. Not sure how you use it, I never got that far with little Sarah's wounds, but I hear it can work miracles for maggots and eggs.

I hope this helps. If there are questions that aren't answered in the other thread, let me know and I'll help the best I can.

thumper
08-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I dealt with infestation on my three legged coyote (lucky). I was told by a vet,who would not work on a WILD animal to use a seringe (SPELLING ?)and peroxide. no needle. I squrted a lil into the hole and the lil bugger went in deeper then I squrted more in and held my finger over the hole for a few seconds.he then came out, all the way out,I was shocked at how big he was.I repeated this on all the holes and got them all.then I applied some neosporin or somthing like it and he eventually healed-minus the foot. If you all rehabbers see a problem with this method on a squirrel PLEASE CHIME IN. it worked on my coyote and a cat who lost his tail.good luck!!!!! :smiley_pirate thumper

BuckeyeSqrl
08-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Most definitely get ahold of some CapStar! For babies that size, about 1/2 of a pill each day until they are gone. Pick whatever you can off, but the CapStar is a life saver!!

Wendi
08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
CapStar thanks guys, I'll try to get some,bad news though I lost the boy already, and the girl doesn't look too good. I'll be lucky if she makes it through the night, *%?!!!%&$!!! maggots!! I'll get some in case this shows up again. thanks again though. this pisses me off knowing there was something out there and being told there wasn't , I need to have a talk with my vet!

Critter_Queen
08-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh, Wendi, I'm so sorry to hear about the little boy...Is the little girl still hanging in there?

Yeah, I plan to get a stash of emergency-type drugs from my wildlife vet the next time I see her. It just sucks rocks not to be able to treat them when you know you can and it's safe...

I hope the little girl made it through the night...

Wendi
08-22-2006, 12:57 PM
sad news the little girl didn't make it either, she died sometime early in the am. I had one other come down with a headcold last night too, so I'm in the process of trying to get to see my vet. I'm going to mention CapStar. and try to get a supply of meds here. hope I have luck. thanks for all the help and concern, I love this site and all the squirrel lovers.

Critter_Queen
08-22-2006, 01:13 PM
Awe Geez...I'm sorry about the other little ones. I hope your vet can help you out. It's so sad when they die. I hate that part of this. But I try to remember that with every death I learn something I didn't know before. And if I apply that knowledge to even one other critter, the one that didn't make it didn't die for nothing...ya know?

Good luck at the vet and let us know what he/she says.