PDA

View Full Version : new at this

bounder98
08-21-2006, 08:45 AM
My fur child found a baby squirrel yesterday, from pics on the net, i guess he is about 3 weeks old. He has not made a sound,and having a hard time getting him to take any liquid at all. I've tried, sugar water & Esbalic. Most of it runs down his neck. Even when i try to feed him or hold him he sleeps all the time,,is this normal? Thanks,Lou

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Are you giving him the Esbalic by syringe?
I would keep trying every 1/2 hr.
get what ever you can possibly get into him & get him on a heating pad on low setting ASAP!!!!

Critter_Queen
08-21-2006, 08:57 AM
What kind of fur baby found the squirrel? If it was a cat, you need to get that squirrel to a vet that knows how to treat it RIGHT NOW. Cat saliva is deadly to squirrels (and most other small critters).

Second, if it's dribbling down his chin, stop what you are doing. Take a couple of drops and try to place them on his tongue. Hopefully you'll get a reflex swallow.

Try just rehydrating him without the Esbilac until he's actually eating/sucking. Pedialyte is a good way to hydrate him. Again, just a couple drops at a time until he's actually aware of what's going on.

Yes, it's normal for them to sleep all the time at that age. Are you stimulating him to pee and poop? Take a warm, wet cotton ball and run it lightly from his lower tummy to the base of his tail until he urinates or defecates. Don't do this for more than a couple of minutes without results, though, as baby may be too dehydrated to go right now.

Do you have him on a warming source? They should be kept at right around 99 degrees F in order to live and digest any food/water.

Let me know if this helps, ok? I hope your baby does well...

bounder98
08-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Thanks,great info. It was my little Chihuahua that found him,she was "nosing"to long at one spot,so I went to look. I'm in Florida,have dozens of grey squirrels,so that must be what he is. I have tried rubbing his belly with Q-tip,dipped in warm water,nothing yet.
The poor thing fell at least 30,from a tree. We watched it for 4 hours,trying to keep red ants of of him,then brought him in to try to save him. I did this 40 plus years ago,that one turned out great,when she was old enough we left her out,but she came back everyday to be fed,,lol,,for years,then one day,didnt see her again.
Right now,we have him in a face cloth, in a wicker basket,but if I have to will try to find a heating pad. Would a hot-water bottle works as well?
I just called to see if a animal rescue could help,,but they dont take squirrels,,,sigh,was up all night with this little,it would break my heart if he didnt make it.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-21-2006, 09:27 AM
:shakehead stupid me I meant to say the pedialite every 1/2hr.
yes I think the heating pad would make a difference.
My little pinkie eats MUCH better if he's on the pad all the time. Just try it, see if it makes a difference.

Critter_Queen
08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Yes, take a plastic pop bottle or regular hot water bottle and fill it with hot tap water. Wrap it in a t-shirt and put it in with the baby...he's probably way too cold right now to do much of anything...once he's warm he might take some hydrating formula (pedialyte or other rehydrating solution).

Here is an excellent source that I use frequently...it gives lots of great info...

http://animaladvocates.us/squirrelmanual.pdf#search='raising%20infant%20tree %20squirrels'

Let me know how things are going...

Critter_Queen
08-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Here's a link to help you find a rehabber that might be able to take him in for you and make sure he gets everything he needs.

I, personally, go to some lengths to keep people that find the critters they give me in the loop on the critter's care and growth. I typically send out emails with photos on Mondays to those that want to stay in contact. I also try to keep whatever name the critter was given, out of respect for the finder, and the fact that they are willing to give the animal up so they can get the best care. It's hard to do that for most people!

Hopefully you'll be able to find a friendly rehabber with email and a digital camera. :thumbsup

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

bounder98
08-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Critter Queen,great info. The baby we have looks exactly like the 2-3 week old in the pic on the site you sent me. Am trying to feed it every hour,but it still acts like it wants no part of it. Heck i didnt know if i'm over feeding it or not. I'm using an eye-dropper and using 12.5 mg of food. Can you tell me if that is to much? Sorry to be a pain, I just really want to try to keep the little guy alive. Lou

Critter_Queen
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
You are not a pain. :) I LIVE for this stuff! Sick, huh??

I don't know about mg in terms of food. I feed with a syringe. A 2-3 week old should get about 2-3 cc per feeding. Do you have a way to measure that? Also, if he doesn't want it, don't force it on him unless you absolutely have to. And don't feed him anything until he's warm and been that way for about 10-15 minutes first.

Again, just do a couple drops at a time until he gets the drift. Depending on how much he's actually eating depends on how often you should feed him. If he's eating even 1 cc per feeding at those hour intervals that's plenty for now...I would go 2-3 hours between feedings once he's hydrated sufficiently. You can over-feed them and they can get sick that way, too...or even if it's just too frequent they can get diarrhea. (happened to me recently!)

I'm glad to help in any way I can. Keep asking questions! I'll be around until 4:30 CST today.

bounder98
08-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Thought i would let you know,,I took the baby,that I named Spunky, to a rehab at Silver Springs. He just wouldnt eat for me,so I had to give him to someone that could handle him better. They are wonderful people,even gave me a phone number so I can check on him.But i feel like I lost a friend,,,sigh, 48 hours with the little guy and he really touched my heart. But thank you so very much for trying to help. Lou

Critter_Queen
08-22-2006, 02:48 PM
You did the very best thing for Spunky then. If he won't eat they should be able to force-feed him if it's necessary.

I totally understand how attached you can get to them after only a short time...but you did what you knew you had to do to give him the kind of care he needs...it takes a big person to do that.

You did a great job while you had him. Spunky wouldn't have survived this long without your efforts. Good Job! :thumbsup

muffinsquirrel
08-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Lou, I am proud that you had what it took to realize what was best for that baby. So many people would have selfishly kept the squirrel until it was too late, just to tell people that they had a baby squirrel. You did the right thing for the right reasons, and if you ever decide to go into rehabbing, you should do very well. You have the main thing needed in rehab - the knowledge to do what is best for the animal. :thumbsup

muffinsquirrel

bounder98
08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
You are so very nice,,,thank you for the kind words. If i ever need help again,,I know where to come. You have to be the best for all the help you all try to give. But next week,my hubby and I will go back to Silver Springs,,to check on Spunky. I love all critters,and hate anyone that would abuse them in anyway. You are wonderful,if I could have kept him,,you provided some great advice. :thumbsup Lou

Secret Squirrel
08-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi Bounder98,
Maybe you could become a foster mom to the wildlife center and help out when ever you can! Volunteers are always needed and it sounds like you go the "right stuff"!!!! :thumbsup

bounder98
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Hi, I have always thought of working with animals in some way,but Silver Springs is 38 miles from us. If gas was at a "normal" price,I could do it a lot easier.
And I coulnt wait, called today about Spunky, he is doing great. They even told me that I had done a fine job with him. He is eating fine for them. Just thought you would like to know,,Lou

Secret Squirrel
08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
:wahoo So glad he is doing great:wahoo that is wonderful news. Just think..... if you had not found him he would have perished for sure...you did a wonderful job!
I know about the gas thing too....I drive to our wildlife center about 67 miles round trip...I would love to go every weekend but gas has much to do with me going 2 or 3 times a month.
There are many things you can do "behind the scenes" for a wildlife center. Here are a few I know of....but if you ask the director they will be able to tell you exactly what they need. Some of our vols go only once a month. And once you learn more then you can foster from home like I do. I am trying to encourage you because you seem like the right person for helping the animals....you got the right stuff!!!!:grouphug

Here are a few small things or ideas to inform you or anyone else who wants to help in some capacity.

* Pick up donated supplies in your area, take them to center once a month. Call the center or email the center for a list of names and numbers.

* Stock up on supplies and donate to center once a month. Like bleach, laundry soap, hand sanitizer, paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water...every center has a list of items they desperately need.

* write thank you note for the folks who donate money...you supply the note cards and stamps...get a list from the center and most centers are PC friendly maybe you can do office stuff for them from home.

It's just an idea....so run with it!!!!