PDA

View Full Version : papaya

Frickster
11-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I thought I had read where someone posted on here that papaya is good for calcium. Is that true or am I imagining that? Frick is just not having any of the leafy green stuff so I'm trying to find anything else. She will occassionally nibble on the squirrel blocks but is not as fascinated as she was. She has been agreeable to her formula lately though. So she's getting calcium with that at least. She must like having something warm now that the days are colder. She's a funny little one....

ShesASquirrelyGirl
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Papaya does have some calcium along with iron, vit C, A, and E. The enzymes in papaya are also good for the digestive track. Just remember in moderation though. Its still fruit and sugar. =)

4skwerlz
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
What SASG said is right, papaya is fine as an occasional treat. I don't let Henry have any other food until he has eaten his squirrel block. Be firm!!! There isn't enough calcium in veggies/fruits to give Frick what she needs. She would have to eat 9 entire heads of endive lettuce--one of the highest calcium veggies--in one week to get her needed calcium.

Since Frick likes things warm, try heating up one of the blocks in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Since I store mine in the freezer--and you should too--I do this for Henry sometimes just for variety. He likes them frozen too though.

digiandchipper
11-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I soak my squirrel blocks in warm esbilac....mmmm!

Frickster
11-04-2008, 11:10 PM
i will try that. she's so weird...when she was truly a baby she didn't like her formula warm. actually preferred it chilled. then she weaned herself off. then decided maybe not....would occassionally take some on and off. and NOW at just over 8 months old has decided she will still drink it - only warm now. we went out of town for a day and a half and i thought SURELY she'd eat the stuff left for her. nope...not much at all. bless her picky little heart!!!