PDA

View Full Version : Cranberries

zoogirl723
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Fresh cranberries are finally in season and I give them to my squirrel to help prevent a UTI (he is paralyzed and has no bladder function). Up to this point I have been giving sugar free cranberry juice, but am trying to find ways to keep the fresh cranberries around all year...do you think I can freeze them?

If so am going to have to buy a freezer for all my squirrel's stuff...many gallon sized bags of acorns, nuts, cranberries, left over esbilac...:D

Also, how many cranberries a day would you think is the best for him?

Amy

Tomo
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Fresh cranberries are finally in season and I give them to my squirrel to help prevent a UTI (he is paralyzed and has no bladder function). Up to this point I have been giving sugar free cranberry juice, but am trying to find ways to keep the fresh cranberries around all year...do you think I can freeze them?

If so am going to have to buy a freezer for all my squirrel's stuff...many gallon sized bags of acorns, nuts, cranberries, left over esbilac...:D

Also, how many cranberries a day would you think is the best for him?

Amy

Hi Amy,

As long as you express his bladder several times a day, he shouldn't have any problems. Two of my babies are almost completely paralyzed and they have recovered bladder function. Expressing the bladder helps this.

As for cranberries, I'm not certain if eating fresh cranberries is the same as drinking the juice (which is a concentrated dose), but they can't hurt. However, don't forget that they do have some sugar in them, so too many may upset his/her sugar level. You can find out more nutritional information on individual foods at nutritiondata.com.

Hope this helps! :)