PDA

View Full Version : oats and macadamian nuts

SUNSHINE
11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
are oats okay to feed squirrels mine love them there not listed on foods to feed but i dont see no harm in them also the macadamian not spelled right i know these are listed as good nuts to feed i guess that means you have to find them unsalted correct?

4skwerlz
11-02-2008, 07:43 PM
are oats okay to feed squirrels mine love them there not listed on foods to feed but i dont see no harm in them also the macadamian not spelled right i know these are listed as good nuts to feed i guess that means you have to find them unsalted correct?

Macadamia nuts are okay as an occasional treat. And yes, all nuts should be unsalted!

We try to avoid all grains, including oats. This is because they're not part of the natural diet and they are high in glycemic load, which means they raise your blood sugar. A little bit as a treat once in a while would probably be okay. Your squirrel should be eating rodent block or squirrel blocks as 80% of his diet, with healthy veggies and natural foods making up most of the rest.

SUNSHINE
11-02-2008, 07:52 PM
thanks much for the quick responce no more oats:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Does anyones sqs eat macadamia nuts?

4skwerlz
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Nothing wrong with macadamia nuts that I know of....expensive though.

Anne
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Mine do. I got so many in the mixed nut packages this past winter. The extra hard shells are a boon for their teeth.:) :) They are very good for people!

jacey
04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Doodle loves macadamian nuts and gets one every few days or so but I have to open them with a hammer for him.

Reddliz
04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Yes, I think maybe three times in Kola's 2 yrs he has had a macadamia, and he liked it.

:wave123