PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Wild Squirrels

dblari
11-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Can squirrels open pecan shells? They're pretty hard. What about walnuts? I am currently feeding them peanuts, pistacios, hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, and pecans all in the shell. I also give them crunchy peanut butter.

digiandchipper
11-02-2008, 09:08 AM
I think they can open pecans when they (the squirrels:) ) are old enough...I don't think peanuts are good for squirrels, though:thinking You could also give them some fresh veggies instead of only nuts - very good for them...broccoli, kale, green pepper, etc...

dblari
11-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I'll try some veggies too. What about acorns? I saw big bags of them for sale in a sporting goods store.

TexanSquirrel
11-02-2008, 09:51 AM
You saw bags of them for sale? That's interesting. Maybe, if you have your own place, you could plant a squirrel friendly tree (like a pecan tree) as well. I say that because the other day I saw an ad for 50 foot acorn trees (as I call them) for sale.

digiandchipper
11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Acorns are okay - the squirrels in my yard have, literally I'm sure, thousands to forage (you can barely see the sun for the oaks!) but.....I believe too many acorns, or acorns only, can cause UTI's. I guess the best advice is, just like with people, everthing in moderation:D

4skwerlz
11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Acorns are the healthiest of all the nuts: the most calcium and also low in fat.

digiandchipper
11-02-2008, 05:14 PM
So, 4skwerls, what I read here on another thread about acorns causing UTI's was not correct?? I have been severely limiting D&C's acorn intake because of this:thinking

4skwerlz
11-02-2008, 05:18 PM
So, 4skwerls, what I read here on another thread about acorns causing UTI's was not correct?? I have been severely limiting D&C's acorn intake because of this:thinking

I've never heard that acorns cause UTIs. :dono Perhaps this is because acorns cause the urine to turn reddish in color? This isn't a UTI but just a reaction to the tannins in the acorns. I'd certainly feed acorns since they're such an obvious part of a squirrel's natural diet, although you could make an argument that since acorns are only in season in the fall, it would be best to feed them in the fall. Nothing specific to the acorns, just a general principle of feeding natural foods in season. Not that we have any evidence that doing otherwise would be harmful.

digiandchipper
11-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, D&C are gonna be excited - cause it's fall and mommy has lot of acorns! Of course, we will continue to practice moderation :D

TinyPaws
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
What kind of bagged food do you guys feed your wilds? Is it store bought or internet bought?