PDA

View Full Version : ? about formula

DaleJrmom2
11-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello all ...... My Elissa is now 10 1/2 weeks old. She is still drinking her formula and loves it. Well today i ran out and i went to Pet Smart to get more. My question is...Is it ok to give her the 2nd Step Esbilac formula? If it isnt ok then i will go back and get the original Esbilac formula. Thanks :thankyou

island rehabber
11-01-2008, 02:49 PM
at her age I'm thinking it would be fine. Is she eating other good solid foods, too?

digiandchipper
11-01-2008, 03:42 PM
I've never heard of 2nd step Esbilac, nor have I seen it at the store...what is the difference and is this what Dig & Chip should be having instead:dono

DaleJrmom2
11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
at her age I'm thinking it would be fine. Is she eating other good solid foods, too?

Yes she is eating solids and loves it too:crazy . She loves her cherrios, kale and other goodies she is aloud to eat. Anyways i appreciate y'alls response to this question. For Elissa's nutrition and health is very important to me.

Buddy'sMom
11-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Not sure I agree, IR -- :thinking What do you think of this line of reasoning?

At her age, if she was in the wild, she would still be nursing.
We believe Esbilac (regular, "first" stage formula) is closest to sq-milk.
Composition of sq-milk changes as babies age (at least initially) - to INCREASE fat content (hence many people add heavy cream and/or yogurt to increase fat content). (Anybody know if it later DEcreases as babies wean?)
Esbilac (regular) is higher in fat content than Stage Two.

I think Esbilac Stage Two would not have the fat and other nutrients needed. Especially if baby is to be released or overwinter outside, higher fat content would be very important this time of year. She is not likely getting that with the solid foods.

It's true that at this age, fewer nutrients are coming from the formula and more from solid foods. But by continuing to take some formula, there is greater assurance that baby is getting sufficient nutrients while it transitions to an adult diet.

:dono :dono Thoughts??

[Having said all that, I have bought the Stage Two myself, to use in Critter Scones for my wild squirrels. I think for that purpose (supplemental treats, NOT as food) it should be fine. And it is vastly less expensive than the regular Esbilac. I haven't mentioned on TSB due to concern that if we even talk about using Stage Two for any purpose, someone might think it's an ok (and cheaper) substitute for feeding babies :eek: :eek: :eek: :nono :nono ]

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

DaleJrmom2
11-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Ok well i tried to feed her this morning and she refused the milk. Ughhhh wish i would have bought the regular Esbilac. She would only lick it and not eat. It made me sad cause she loves her milk. Guess im off to Pet Smart to buy her regular Esbilac and thank you all for the advice.

digiandchipper
11-02-2008, 10:43 AM
They sure don't like change, do they? I know one time I mixed a little blueberry yogurt in the esbilac, thought they'd LOVE the nummy treat from their mommy, and they were HORRIFIED!!! Ruined our whole moring, cause by the time I heated up new (and plain) D&C blew me off like dust:poke

DaleJrmom2
11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Well i went back to Pet Smart and got the regular Esbilac. My baby was so happy that she gobbled it down and didnt want to let go of the syringe. She actually got quite pissy with me like she was telling me off because i switched formulas on her:sanp3 . But she is such a happy lil camper now:jump :wahoo . Boy i wont make that mistake again. Now i wonder what i can do with the 2nd step formula? They wont take it back cause i opened it. Maybe i'll call the humane society to see if they want it. I hate for it to go to waste.