PDA

View Full Version : Caring for a non-releaseable

Legomom
10-31-2008, 06:42 PM
I was just thinking about the recent experience of my friend and his little girl squirrel. I noticed that we have all kinds of info for caring for 'healthy' squirrels, but what if someone finds themselves in a situation similar to my friend? Where would they go for info and maybe weren't sure about posting right away?

So, here's my thought.....start a thread for someone looking to help their NR. Maybe others with NRs will post their experiences, diets, cages etc. so that someone new could find info.

Just a thought....if no one responds, maybe it wasn't a great thought. :crazy

island rehabber
10-31-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm hoping Tomo responds if she has time...she is wonderful at caring for NR's. :)

ShesASquirrelyGirl
11-01-2008, 04:15 PM
My site is still being worked on, but basic info is there. You can click on both Diet and Squirrel care and housing for non releasable care.
http://animalwhispers.bravehost.com

zoogirl723
11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
I think this is a great idea! As some of you guys know, I am completely new to squirrels even though I have lots of animal experience. And this season I have wound up with my own non-releasable gray squirrel that is paralyzed. I have learned a lot very quickly, but you can never know enough about how to take care of your babies the best :)

My biggest problem with Mr. Squirrely was finding the best cage. If he didn't have enough to do inside the cage he would crawl along the outside, causing his belly and genitals to get red and sore. But the man loves to climb! Am worried he will fall but I still want a tall cage. And then I found it! I bought it at petsmart and it has everything I wanted for him. He loves it and can get around so well! Plus it is a breeze to clean!

Wow I just bought my first digital camera and am fighting with it...here is pic from website:

ShesASquirrelyGirl
11-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Just wanted to mention that I order many of my cages from Quality Cage company

I order this one exactly because it comes with safe chewable wood already and its not only quality but very sturdy and safe for smaller squirrels ( so they can't squeeze out)
Also has a pull out tray so you don't have to lift the entire cage up to clean

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=129_142_153&products_id=612

Martins cages are also good but not as sturdy or quality for your money. Oh and the entire top of this cage lifts up as well as a large door in front.

http://qualitycage.com/images/CNS-48.jpg

zoogirl723
11-02-2008, 06:15 PM
I have put padding on the bottom of the cage, but one of my greatest ideas was buying cheap felt scarves from ross and bealls and weaving them through the cage as "nets" for him to catch himself on. There is really no way he could fall from the top and land on the bottom, unless he tied his hands behind his back. That guy has such a strong torso he can catch himself on anything.

I love the cages from quality cage! I have recently bought one, and am very impressed with it as well. Easy to clean, plus they even have custom cages that can be tailored to your squirrels needs :thumbsup

Amy

Tomo
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I was just thinking about the recent experience of my friend and his little girl squirrel. I noticed that we have all kinds of info for caring for 'healthy' squirrels, but what if someone finds themselves in a situation similar to my friend? Where would they go for info and maybe weren't sure about posting right away?

So, here's my thought.....start a thread for someone looking to help their NR. Maybe others with NRs will post their experiences, diets, cages etc. so that someone new could find info.

Just a thought....if no one responds, maybe it wasn't a great thought. :crazy

Hi there,

In general, there's lots of good information on this site about nutrition and caging. If I can help in any way, please send me a private message and I'll try to tell you about some of the things we do here at Tomo's. There's always ways to do things better and discussing ideas about caring for our little furry friends is one way to expand our knowledge and come up with better ways to care for NR squirrels.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Tomo :)

Legomom
06-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I had forgotten about this thread & I'm the one who started it! :osnap I have since learned a bunch about caring for a physically challenged squirrel.
One thing in particular was that she needed a cage that would allow her to exercise, but not injure herself. After much discussion & research, hubby, son & I built a custom made cage just for our sweet Christine.

Another thing that came about was Christine's kabob. She has difficulty controlling her paws & can't hold food like 'normal' squirrels, so I came up with a way for her to be a little less dependant on mom for her food. It made a huge difference in her life!!

You can read all about Christine's amazing journey her thread. Just click it in my sig line & you'll be there. :thumbsup

So, here are pics of Christine's kabob & Christine's Condo....design based on Ferret Nation cages. And, a pic of the girl herself, in her favorite nest. :Love_Icon :D

tatcat
06-06-2009, 10:31 PM
:wave123 hey shanon, i love the kabob idea!! that is awesome...i am sure makes things easier on christine!!! way to go mom!!!

Jackie in Tampa
06-07-2009, 06:14 AM
With several cages scattered all over, I noticed Jane would get confused which was her cage, so we now use color coded cages...meaning all sqs and cages have their own color of fleece and hide bags. This has helped Jane get a secure feeling about who she is and where her safety zones are. Just a tip for a multi sq family!
Jane is NR due to her nuero statis...but now she is a very happy independant girl.
:thumbsup

mumsy
06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I'v got a chipmunk that I found in my cats mouth. most of its tail is missing otherwise he's alright. I'm considering keeping it, but how do I pick him up or touch him with out scaring him?
mjs THANKS!

Legomom
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
:Welcome to TSB! I don't know anything about chipmunks, sorry.
I'll repost this in the chipmunk forum for you.
You can find your post here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=403822#post403822
When did you find the chippie?

Sarabi
06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
I would definitely use caution as I'm sure he's very scared and may bite, I do not know anything about chippies, but hang on and I'm sure someone may help you. You may try starting Thread in the non life threatening help needed. Good luck and:Welcome Mumsy.