PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea in 8-ish week old baby

katie8758
08-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I was wondering if you may have suggestions on how to combat diarrhea in an 8-or-so week old baby grey squirrel. He is currently being fed every 4-5 hours. I am giving him 2cc of pedialyte along with 2 cc of esbilac puppy formula each feeding. The diarrhea is yellowish in color, and a bit more mucousy than runny. No signs of blood in the diarrhea. He was previously getting 4 cc of esbilac each feeding, but due to the diarrhea I have cut it in half and added the pedialyte.

I offer him cheerios in his cage at all times, but he only seems to bite them once or twice, but not eat them. He then hides under his towel again.

What should be my next step? :dono

katie8758
08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Here's a couple pics of the baby who needs a little help :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/katie8758/e58a3f9b.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/katie8758/9db0803b-1.jpg

island rehabber
08-20-2006, 05:39 AM
I was wondering if you may have suggestions on how to combat diarrhea in an 8-or-so week old baby grey squirrel. He is currently being fed every 4-5 hours. I am giving him 2cc of pedialyte along with 2 cc of esbilac puppy formula each feeding. The diarrhea is yellowish in color, and a bit more mucousy than runny. No signs of blood in the diarrhea. He was previously getting 4 cc of esbilac each feeding, but due to the diarrhea I have cut it in half and added the pedialyte.

I offer him cheerios in his cage at all times, but he only seems to bite them once or twice, but not eat them. He then hides under his towel again.

What should be my next step? :dono

Katie, these are my observations without knowing the history of this squirrel and how the diarrhea started.
4cc's is barely enough for a 3-4 wk old to get by on....why does he eat so little? An 8-wk old squirrel should easily want 10-16ccs at each feeding in my experience. Also at that age solids should be introduced like grapes cut in half and raw almonds. Is 4cc's of Esbilac all he has been taking at each feeding for a long time? Will he take more of the Pedialyte if offered to him, or does he not have much of an appetite?

Since his diarrhea is not from overfeeding, obviously, there may be something else happening. My advice would be to bring a stool sample to a wildlife vet and have him tested for any number of parasites (internal) that could be affecting his system. He may need medication or his situation will worsten. He's a beautiful little squirrel and I hope you can get to the bottom of this mystery.

katie8758
08-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Thank you island rehabber for your reply. I immediately assumed it was due to overfeeding, so I cut his intake down to 4 cc total. He has a very vivacious appetite for the formula. I need to mention that he does have free access to water in his cage, and he is trying to drink it but every time he does he ends up snorting, sneezing and shaking his head as if he doesn't know how to drink it on his own yet.

Should I increase his formula up to 6 cc and see how the diarrhea does with that, and if the diarrhea goes away gradually increase it? I honestly think i was overfeeding previously, because I would feed him until he refused the formula and had a round little belly.

Secret Squirrel
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi Katie,
Remove the water dish from his cage. There is no need for him to drink water right now....he ishould be getting all the water he needs from the Esbilac mixed with water. I hope you are using the powdered Esbilac and water for his formula. You may have to use bottled water for mixing the formula.....some folks have well water or "city" water and both of those can cause gut problems. I am far reaching with the water as a source of his problem....(rare but true cases). Do what IR said and have his stool checked first by a vet.
That will rule out parasites. VERY IMPORTAINT!!
You can hang a water bottle on the out side of his cage...like one for a bunny or hampster. He will find it and use it on his own when he is ready.
Good luck!!:peace

katie8758
08-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you Rebecca! I will hang a water bottle on the outside of his cage like you said, and I'm sure he'll use it when he's ready. I will have his stool checked by my vet also. I have to say that even though we've been fighting this diarrhea, he's a tough little guy. He grows more and more every day. He's just now getting to the age where he wants to jump around and play, staying awake more for longer hours.

Thank you all for your very helpful advice! Katie