PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bacterial Pneumonia?

jenh120
08-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I was hoping maybe someone here could give me their opinion on the situation I am dealing with. About two weeks ago I got a trio of ground squirrels (adults). Over the last two days I noticed that one of them seemed to be breathing funny (I could hear the clicking sound when he breathed also) and had some dried mucus around his nostrils. I brought him to the vet today and he said he was pretty sure it was bacterial pneumonia. His explanation for the pneumonia onset was possible stress due to shipping. As a precaution he also gave him an injection of Ivermectin in case it was respiratory mites (to be honest I have never even heard of respiratory mites before)

He prescribed Baytril and Bene-bac (to prevent diarrhea) He said it was probably a 50/50 shot of recovery. I asked if I should remove the sick one from the cage he shares with the other two and at first the vet said it wasn't necessary, but upon thinking about it for a few minutes he said I should remove him. The vet told me to watch the other two for any signs of pneumonia and if I see the "funny" breathing, nasal secretions etc to bring them in right away. My question is do you think it is possible the sick squirrel could have passed this on to the other two? And should the vet have prescribed antibiotics for the other two just in case? I just think that by the time I would notice the signs (if they were to get sick) they would be pretty sick.

I figured that someone here may have experience with a situation like this and could possibly offer me advice.

Thanks Jen

thundersquirrel
08-20-2006, 08:00 PM
i think it would be contagious. that's just my opinion. i don't know for sure, but the fact that the sick one had a drippy nose makes me think it could end up sneezing on another one and passing germs.

however, antibiotics should only be given if necessary. do seperate the sick ground squirrel, and clean out the healthy squirrels' cage and everything the sick squirrel came into contact with.

i suggest you get a stethoscope and listen to the healthy squirrels' chests. if you can't get a stethoscope, then put your ear against their chest, if they'll let you. if you hear irregularities in their heartbeat or any clicking sounds, then get them checked out. and remember that their heartbeat should be much faster than humans'. ;)

baytril is a good medicine. i've used it before. it should help.
good luck and keep us updated.

Secret Squirrel
08-20-2006, 09:56 PM
I agree with TS!!
Separate the sick one, clean like crazy, give the meds as prescribed to the sick squirrel. Keep an eye on the others and pray they don't get sick.
The vet can prescribe more meds if need be and you shouldn't have to take the others in to see the vet unless something sever happens.
Sounds like you are on the right track and using all your resources...smart lady!!!:thumbsup
Also let the people you got them from know about the situation. They may have some sick animals too and may not know it!!! :peace

jenh120
08-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Thundarsquirrel and Secret Squirrel,

Thank you for you responses I really appreciate it. I did separate the sick squirrel and am keeping a close eye on the other two. I also contacted the person I bought them from and told him about it. Something that really freaked me out was the vet asking about whether they had been captive bred or wild caught because they can carry the plague in the wild, which can lead to pneumonia. The person I bought them from says he purchased them at a pet store and was told they were captive bred, but I have to admit the idea they could have some terrible disease scares me. I think it was my vets round about way of admonishing me for buying them (he also went on to talk about other zoonotic diseases that they "could" harbor, kind of a lecture on "why did you purchase these, don't you know......") if his intention was to scare me it worked! Do you guys think that the stress of shipping and a new environment could bring on pneumonia? I have to believe if he really suspected they had the plague or something really terrible like it, he would have done more then just mention it (well I hope) Sorry if this seems off the wall :o, but it really did scare me.

Thanks again for your responses, Jen