PDA

View Full Version : Why is fresh corn not good for squirrels?

Lucky's Mom
10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
I have been giving fresh corn on the cob to Lucky as a treat since she was a baby and she seems to love it. She eats a few rows when she feels like it throughout the day and then whatever is not eaten by her at the end of the day, I throw out into the yard for her wild cousins and a groundhog that thinks he discovered gold.

Obviously corn is not her staple diet, just a treat. But since reading all the info on TSB I'm worried that I'm poisoning her or something.

4skwerlz
10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
I have been giving fresh corn on the cob to Lucky as a treat since she was a baby and she seems to love it. She eats a few rows when she feels like it throughout the day and then whatever is not eaten by her at the end of the day, I throw out into the yard for her wild cousins and a groundhog that thinks he discovered gold.

Obviously corn is not her staple diet, just a treat. But since reading all the info on TSB I'm worried that I'm poisoning her or something.

Fresh corn has a badly inverted calcium/phosphorus ratio: it contains over 41 times more phosphorus than calcium. This means that by eating corn, your squirrel is actually depleting her calcium, and that calcium must be made up somewhere else in her diet. Corn also has a high glycemic load due to the high starch content; this means it raises your blood sugar. Also, corn would not be a large part of a squirrel's natural diet.

Now a little corn once a week, together with a healthy, balanced diet, would be okay. But every day? No way.

Lucky's Mom
10-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Ahhh, now I get it!!

Thank you for the great information!!:thankyou

digiandchipper
10-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Why do the dang feed companies load their 'squirrel food' product with corn???? Poor, unsuspecting folks who are trying to be good neighbors think they're doing a good job feeding this stuff..........

luvs squirrels
10-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Why do the dang feed companies load their 'squirrel food' product with corn???? Poor, unsuspecting folks who are trying to be good neighbors think they're doing a good job feeding this stuff..........

Exactly! Everything you buy for a squirrel has the corn! :shakehead

SUNSHINE
10-29-2008, 10:20 PM
i take it that the baby corn cobs are just as bad then right? my baby loved them when i found this info a time back i quit givin it to her

4skwerlz
10-30-2008, 11:10 AM
i take it that the baby corn cobs are just as bad then right? my baby loved them when i found this info a time back i quit givin it to her

Baby corn is about the same. Feed as an occasional treat only, i.e., one baby corn cob per week at the most.

Another thing about feeding too much corn is that it encourages their sweet tooth. My Henry loves corn too, almost more than nuts! I very rarely give him any.

Lucky's Mom
10-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Corn also has a high glycemic load due to the high starch content; this means it raises your blood sugar. Also, corn would not be a large part of a squirrel's natural diet.

Do you think that the corn could be a contributing factor in Lucky's UTI? I've heard of squirrels that get too much fruit getting UTIs, but now I'm wondering about corn too.

And yes, Lucky does seem to love it. I feel bad taking it completely away from her, but not too bad about it if it isn't good for her.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-30-2008, 01:38 PM
I am not sure about fresh corn but dried corn doesn't digest easily and can sit in the gut and cause issues. Well I guess fresh corn can too. Not to be gross but we all know how corn comes back out... lol
It can also be potentially deadly if its given to much besides the calcium issue mentioned but you would have to feed it everyday in certain amounts for it to turn into a carcinogenic.
I don't think it actually caused the UTI with Lucky but who knows..
If you use any cleaners on the cage or a certain type of bedding that they sit in they can get a UTI just from that. Sometimes these things just happen from something stupid and little. Bleh!

Lucky's Mom
10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
I am not sure about fresh corn but dried corn doesn't digest easily and can sit in the gut and cause issues. Well I guess fresh corn can too. Not to be gross but we all know how corn comes back out... lol
It can also be potentially deadly if its given to much besides the calcium issue mentioned but you would have to feed it everyday in certain amounts for it to turn into a carcinogenic.
I don't think it actually caused the UTI with Lucky but who knows..
If you use any cleaners on the cage or a certain type of bedding that they sit in they can get a UTI just from that. Sometimes these things just happen from something stupid and little. Bleh!

Hi there! I hope Millie is feeling a little better.

Actually, Lucky is never in a cage so the bedding & cleaners wouldn't be an issue. I think it's just one of those things that we won't be able to figure out. I try to do everything perfectly for her, but I guess sometimes they just get sick no matter what we do. I also think the Baytril is working a lot better than the Clavamox. She seems brighter and more playful and she's making big pee puddles. I guess that's a good sign! :thumbsup

I bought some of that acidophilus though. I'll try and get some of that into her. She's pooing OK though.

Also, they had Triple Strength Cranberry plus Vitamin C in 1680mg. Hopefully, this link will work: http://www.naturesbounty.com/pages/products.aspx?PID=120

What do you think if I added one of those to the rodent block recipe. I'm going to bake up a batch later tonight. I had heard that fruit actually promotes a UTI, but then again, cranberry juice is supposed to help it. What do you think?

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
She's eating a bit more =) Still can't breathe good though.

Its not fruit thats the problem, its the sugar in the fruit. Sugar feeds bacteria. Cranberry doesn't have much sugar and the powdered capsules contain barely anything. I would be careful with the C though. To much Vit C can cause UTI's and Urinary issues.
Acidophilus should really help keep her tummy good while on the antibiotics as long as you give it way before or after giving meds. The more fluids she drinks the more it will help flush out her system. I bet she will be good in no time =)

4skwerlz
10-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi there! I hope Millie is feeling a little better.

Actually, Lucky is never in a cage so the bedding & cleaners wouldn't be an issue. I think it's just one of those things that we won't be able to figure out. I try to do everything perfectly for her, but I guess sometimes they just get sick no matter what we do. I also think the Baytril is working a lot better than the Clavamox. She seems brighter and more playful and she's making big pee puddles. I guess that's a good sign! :thumbsup

I bought some of that acidophilus though. I'll try and get some of that into her. She's pooing OK though.

Also, they had Triple Strength Cranberry plus Vitamin C in 1680mg. Hopefully, this link will work: http://www.naturesbounty.com/pages/products.aspx?PID=120

What do you think if I added one of those to the rodent block recipe. I'm going to bake up a batch later tonight. I had heard that fruit actually promotes a UTI, but then again, cranberry juice is supposed to help it. What do you think?

I think rather than putting the cranberry juice in the squirrel blocks, I would put a little bit in her water or formula, as the case may be. I believe the cranberry juice works by changing the pH of the urine. Also, cutting out sugars and starches, as ShesASquirrelyGirl suggests, is a good idea for lots of reasons. You're not feeding her a lot of spinach by any chance, are you?

Lucky's Mom
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
I think rather than putting the cranberry juice in the squirrel blocks, I would put a little bit in her water or formula, as the case may be. I believe the cranberry juice works by changing the pH of the urine. Also, cutting out sugars and starches, as ShesASquirrelyGirl suggests, is a good idea for lots of reasons. You're not feeding her a lot of spinach by any chance, are you?

Actually....she gets spinach everyday with her daily "salad." I used to give her baby spinach leaves, but have switched over to Dole Tender Garden salad mix. It has baby spinach, carrots, baby lettuces, baby greens, endive & radicchio combo. Is that bad too? Holy cow...my poor girl. What am I doing to her? She looks like she's doing OK, but just has the UTI. Here's a couple of photos (hope these Photobucket links work).

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/ritzy_d/Luckyonachair.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/ritzy_d/IMG_0183v2.jpg

She looks healthy, right?

4skwerlz
10-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Actually....she gets spinach everyday with her daily "salad." I used to give her baby spinach leaves, but have switched over to Dole Tender Garden salad mix. It has baby spinach, carrots, baby lettuces, baby greens, endive & radicchio combo. Is that bad too? Holy cow...my poor girl. What am I doing to her? She looks like she's doing OK, but just has the UTI. Here's a couple of photos (hope these Photobucket links work).

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/ritzy_d/Luckyonachair.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/ritzy_d/IMG_0183v2.jpg

She looks healthy, right?

She's beautiful.:Love_Icon HOWEVER, the reason I asked about spinach was because of the urinary symptoms you mentioned. Eating too much spinach can cause kidney and bladder stones. To put it simply, the oxalates in the spinach react with any calcium in the food she eats, turning the calcium into "bone" in the form of stones. This also depletes the body of calcium, because the calcium in the food never reaches the bloodstream where it is needed. I would totally cut out spinach for your squirrel. I would definitely add some cranberry juice to her water, as the acidity is supposed to help dissolve any stones. Make sure it is pure cranberry juice, not "cranberry juice cocktail," which contains a lot of sugar. Or give her some real cranberries to eat. Also encourage her to drink a lot.

Lucky's Mom
10-30-2008, 09:04 PM
She's beautiful.:Love_Icon HOWEVER, the reason I asked about spinach was because of the urinary symptoms you mentioned. Eating too much spinach can cause kidney and bladder stones. To put it simply, the oxalates in the spinach react with any calcium in the food she eats, turning the calcium into "bone" in the form of stones. This also depletes the body of calcium, because the calcium in the food never reaches the bloodstream where it is needed. I would totally cut out spinach for your squirrel. I would definitely add some cranberry juice to her water, as the acidity is supposed to help dissolve any stones. Make sure it is pure cranberry juice, not "cranberry juice cocktail," which contains a lot of sugar. Or give her some real cranberries to eat. Also encourage her to drink a lot.

Good GRIEF!!! No more spinach! That is for sure. Other forms of greens are still OK though? Do you know that back in June, I took a class and a veterinarian was also in the class. I was feeding Lucky spinach everyday and wondered if the iron content would harm her. I asked the vet and said I had a "pet rat" that I wanted to know about feeding spinach to. The vet pretty much didn't know her a$$ from a hole in the ground (probably why she was in a class with me!) and gave me this answer that didn't even answer what I had asked her. When I got home I told a friend of mine and he asked me this question "you know how there is always a top half of a graduating class?" I said, "yes." And he said "well, there always a bottom half too!" Why couldn't that vet just tell me this back in June??!!!

I will go buy pure cranberry juice tomorrow and spike her water with it.

One good thing...as I said earlier, she seems to be better and brighter today, and I did notice that she was drinking much, much more than she has over the last week. She'll run around the house like a maniac and then run back into her room for a drink and then will drink for almost a minute! I just want her to be happy, love playing and feel good. She had such a tragic start in life, that's the least I can provide her with.

Thanks so much for all this great information! You guys ROCK!!

4skwerlz
10-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Other forms of greens are still OK though?

Of course, this is just one idea of what might be wrong with your squirrel. But it couldn't hurt to avoid oxalates for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

High-Oxalate Vegetables:

Beans - Green, Wax,
Dried Beets
Tops, Roots, Greens
Celery
Chard, Swiss Chive
Collards
Dandelion greens
Eggplant
Escarole
Kale
Leeks
Mustard Greens
Okra
Parsley
Peppers, Green
Pokeweed
Potatoes, sweet
Rutabagas
Spinach
Summer squash
Watercress

Also, limit pecans and peanuts, as these nuts are high in oxalates. And limit fruits, which you should do in any case.

Like I said, this is just one idea. If your squirrel actually has an infection, then she needs antibiotics. But if the condition is chronic, it could be dietary.

Kat762
10-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Gaaah, time to tweak the diet :sanp3 Andi loves fresh corn, and I always thought kale, spinach, dandy greens and sweet potatoe were good.

I give Andi a lot of fruit-watermelon, apple, banana,orange, pear,maybe this is why she has a weight problem:dono
Today in the store a seasonal favorite returned-baby kiwis-are these okay ?

I only discovered them last year when looking for " soft foods " after her tooth loss.They are the size of a large grape,:tilt and soft, and inside are kiwi, and Andi loves them.

Lucky's mom- Lucky is BEAUTIFUL :) and so glad she is running around feeling good !

Kat, owned by Andi

4skwerlz
10-31-2008, 07:47 AM
Gaaah, time to tweak the diet :sanp3 Andi loves fresh corn, and I always thought kale, spinach, dandy greens and sweet potatoe were good.

I give Andi a lot of fruit-watermelon, apple, banana,orange, pear,maybe this is why she has a weight problem:dono
Today in the store a seasonal favorite returned-baby kiwis-are these okay ?

I only discovered them last year when looking for " soft foods " after her tooth loss.They are the size of a large grape,:tilt and soft, and inside are kiwi, and Andi loves them.

Lucky's mom- Lucky is BEAUTIFUL :) and so glad she is running around feeling good !

Kat, owned by Andi

It's important to feed a variety of veggies. Not the same ones every day. Most people (or squirrels) don't have a problem with oxalates, but some do.

That is way too much fruit. We really recommend fruit should be an occasional treat only. Look at the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels in this Nutrition Forum. I "bumped" it so you can find it easily.

Eating too much fruit plus being overweight is a recipe for diabetes. We've had a few pet squirrels die from diabetes in the last year. If you have any questions, just ask.

Kat762
10-31-2008, 09:48 AM
It's important to feed a variety of veggies. Not the same ones every day. Most people (or squirrels) don't have a problem with oxalates, but some do.

That is way too much fruit. We really recommend fruit should be an occasional treat only. Look at the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels in this Nutrition Forum. I "bumped" it so you can find it easily.

Eating too much fruit plus being overweight is a recipe for diabetes. We've had a few pet squirrels die from diabetes in the last year. If you have any questions, just ask.

Thank you 4Skwerlz, time to reread the healthy diet, I see it bumped :thankyou and just goes to show,you can never know too much or stop learning.When Andi lost most of her teeth, I had to make some changes as she couldn't chew some of the foods she used to eat,so it looks like I'll be making some changes to the changes:thinking
I want my girl to be with me for a long time:Love_Icon :squirrel1

I'm sorry to hear about the squirrellies who passed away:sad

and I do have a couple questions like-what are the symptoms of diabetes other than being overweight? and did the squirrellies people know they had diabetes or not until after they passed away ? Sorry, don't like to bring up sad memories for anyone:sad diabetes is not something I've given any thought to though.

Kat, running downstairs to remove the fruit salad she put in Andi's this morning:sanp3

Kat, owned by Andi

4skwerlz
10-31-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the squirrellies who passed away:sad

and I do have a couple questions like-what are the symptoms of diabetes other than being overweight? and did the squirrellies people know they had diabetes or not until after they passed away ? Sorry, don't like to bring up sad memories for anyone:sad diabetes is not something I've given any thought to though.

Sadly, the squirrels with diabetes had no real symptoms until it was too late. If you're concerned, you can have your vet check her blood sugar (fasting) and check for glucose in the urine. The risk factors seem to be similar as for humans: being overweight and inactive, plus probably a genetic factor. However, there is some concern that the corn-based pet foods we feed our dogs, cats, and other pets could be contributing to the high rates of diabetes in our pets; this would presumably be from the high glycemic load of these foods compared to their natural diets.

I would definitely not allow my squirrel to be overweight. I would cut out all people food and, if you have time to make them, feed Andi the squirrel blocks as 80% of her diet. My little Henry always tended to be a little bit fat, but he lost weight once I started the squirrel blocks and looks great now. I would also cut out the fruits, except maybe just an occasional treat. Also, try to get her more active if she isn't already.

I'm sure she's fine, but you can't be too careful.

Kat762
11-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Thank you very much,I'll have time to make her some squirrel blocks on Monday, and I'll ask the vet about testing her blood sugar and glucose.Better safe than very, very, very sorry.:thankyou
Kat, owned by Andi

Sadly, the squirrels with diabetes had no real symptoms until it was too late. If you're concerned, you can have your vet check her blood sugar (fasting) and check for glucose in the urine. The risk factors seem to be similar as for humans: being overweight and inactive, plus probably a genetic factor. However, there is some concern that the corn-based pet foods we feed our dogs, cats, and other pets could be contributing to the high rates of diabetes in our pets; this would presumably be from the high glycemic load of these foods compared to their natural diets.

I would definitely not allow my squirrel to be overweight. I would cut out all people food and, if you have time to make them, feed Andi the squirrel blocks as 80% of her diet. My little Henry always tended to be a little bit fat, but he lost weight once I started the squirrel blocks and looks great now. I would also cut out the fruits, except maybe just an occasional treat. Also, try to get her more active if she isn't already.

I'm sure she's fine, but you can't be too careful.