PDA

View Full Version : hickory nuts

bobosoltan
10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
I just got a large bag of hickory nuts. are the good for my eastern grey? Its a lot of shell for a tiny payoff also... Should i keep or toss them?

TinyPaws
10-28-2008, 10:47 PM
unless I crack the hickory nuts in half, the squirrels stash them...but they stay and eat the ones opened...when I offer them a mixture of cracked nuts, they always go for the hickory nuts first than the pecans, so they really love them....

FallensMommie
10-29-2008, 05:28 AM
My Fallen eats hickory nuts from my in laws trees. Doesn't matter the price of the payoff....the payoff is greater than you think. Husking the outer part and then having to crack that shell is a lot of work and great for their teeth, remember their teetj is constantly growing and the hickory nut is a great way to help gnaw those teeth down...so there is a unforeseen payoff :D

bobosoltan
10-29-2008, 07:17 AM
thanks guys. :crazy

acorniv
11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Hickory nuts are a variety of pecan. They have far more shell and some say more flavor, but they are still a pecan.

I think it may be that the nut husks have nutritional value - I'm trying to find this out. Could they be like eggs, where the protective part (the whites) is where the nutrition is? :thinking

4skwerlz
11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Just to be precise, both pecans and hickories are of the genus carya, but they are actually both walnuts, as the all the carya are in the Juglandaceae, or walnut, family.

They are great for squirrels, as everyone noted, in moderation.

acorniv
11-03-2008, 11:06 PM
We're in the middle of a remodel, so my tree books are packed, but my recollection is that pecan and hickory are the two varieties of the pecan tree, and they are from the same family as walnut, but the walnut is a bit further removed. Is this incorrect?

I found it interesting that there is only considered to be one variety of pecan, since there certainly seem to be different varieties. The books I read said they are all just individual variations of the one variety.

At any rate, they all look like brains :D

Laurel

Just to be precise, both pecans and hickories are of the genus carya, but they are actually both walnuts, as the all the carya are in the Juglandaceae, or walnut, family.

They are great for squirrels, as everyone noted, in moderation.

4skwerlz
11-04-2008, 06:16 AM
We're in the middle of a remodel, so my tree books are packed, but my recollection is that pecan and hickory are the two varieties of the pecan tree, and they are from the same family as walnut, but the walnut is a bit further removed. Is this incorrect?

I found it interesting that there is only considered to be one variety of pecan, since there certainly seem to be different varieties. The books I read said they are all just individual variations of the one variety.

At any rate, they all look like brains :D

Laurel

The pecan is a hickory, and both are in the walnut family. I used to study trees too. I just love them. It was by studying trees that I first really noticed those furry little rodents that live in them.... :D