PDA

View Full Version : What a squirrely squirrel!

Michigan Lady
10-27-2008, 09:45 AM
It seems that since we put the full spectrum light in Num Num's cage, he has gone from a sweet, cuddly guy into a ballistic racer who speeds up and down our bodies and jumps from person to person like we are trees! LOL!

He has also become very "twitchy", like how you see squirrels in the wild behaving.

He absolutely hates to be put back in his cage now. He hangs onto us for dear life with his claws & refuses to detach himself when playtime is over.

We usually have to put him into a ball in our hands, holding all 4 feet down, then placing him quickly in the bottom of his cage, then backing out and shutting the door quickly.
Once in a while, he's faster to the punch than us, and he is already sitting on the edge of the cage door as we are preparing to close it! LOL.

He also makes little squeaks, chirps, chatters and snickers. Sometimes it sounds like he's laughing.

I can only attribute this new "spunk" in him to the new full spectrum bulb, as the difference started within 24 or so hours after we began using it.

He is still very friendly... he has not bitten. He does like to nibble your fingers and sometimes your earlobes though, but never bites and hurts.

He seems to be becoming more attached to my daughter, as he looks for her when someone else is holding him, and he will chatter to her & will jump a fair distance off one person to get to her.

His appetite has also increased, and he seems to be consuming alot more food, due to the much higher activity level.

I guess we must be doing everything right, as he is seeming more like a "real" squirrel now. :wott

Michelle

Buddy'sMom
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup Sounds like he is doing great! :crazy :crazy

You might try saving one of his daily nuts for luring him into the cage. It is usually an irresistable lure, and helps them associate the cage with something yummy, not just being shut inside. BUT!! You must hold very tightly to the nut until you can deposit it deep in the cage! :D Because, as you have found, squirrels are WAY faster than humans (:thinking maybe smarter, too) and sometimes can deftly grab the nut and jump someplace out of reach before you even realize what happened. :sanp3 :jump :jump :jump

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Michigan Lady
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
I think it's so fascinating to see him transforming into a natural acting squirrel.

I just *hope* he doesn't ever become nippy. I know that's the chance you take with a squirrel, but my daughter has become so attached to this guy, that I think she would be crushed if he drew blood on her.

I keep telling her, "Now one of these days he might nail you good, so be prepared for it".

She just says, "Oh he won't bite me... he's my Num Num and he loves me!"

I say, "Yes, well, I love you & have had you for almost 17 years, & sometimes I'd still like to bite you".

Usually I get no comment from there.. LOL. :jump

Michelle

nuts_about_squirrels
10-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Did you find your squirrel outside? :wahoo Just wondering, :poke

Michigan Lady
10-28-2008, 07:19 AM
Did you find your squirrel outside? :wahoo Just wondering, :poke

Yes, he was found at a neighbors house, and was just barely weened. He has been such a sweetie for the month + that we've had him. We know he's a male, but he hasn't developed any testes yet.
I am thinking that more temperament changes may come as he develops more sexually.
We hope not, but he might. But he has been so affectionate all along... so who knows.

Michelle