PDA

View Full Version : Found wild baby bunny needs help asap

squirrellovepa
10-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Hello my sisters neighbor saved a wild baby bunny that was being attacked by a cat. It has a nasty gash near its neck. Its not a wee lil baby but its not full grown as far as my sister can tell. Right now they have it in a big box. Not sure what to do with him/her. Sister called AARK of newtown now of chalfont but they are not in right now. She called several other places but they said vets or the spca will just put it down. So if anybody knows anyone who can help this wild bunny or what to do for it,please let me know asap. If he can wait till morning,which he may have to,(not sure if he or her so justing say he)then AARK can probably take it then.

Also anything she should be doing for it? Like blanket,heat,food? I have no idea. Thanks.

foxsquirrels
10-26-2008, 06:55 PM
How long is the bunnies body in inches?

squirrellovepa
10-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Umm im not sure ill have to ask my sister,she told me shed call me back. She is still trying to find some help for it. Ill pm her right now and ask thanks.

Okay she said sitting up is bout a foot long.

TexanSquirrel
10-26-2008, 07:06 PM
You should post this in the emergency section so the rehabbers will be notified about it.

squirrellovepa
10-26-2008, 07:09 PM
okay sorry,wrong section. thanks Texan.

foxsquirrels
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
Put him in a container or box with airholes. Give him a soft cloth of some kind to snuggle in (don't use a towel because of their toenails) If they have any triple antibiotic ointment put it on the cut. Give him a very shallow small dish of water (even a big jar lid will do for water) and I'll give you a list of emergency foods you could give for this evening. . .
chopped up apple
shredded carrot
dry oatmeal
cut up pieces of orange
broccoli
cauliflower
squash (any kind)
If they do not have any of these let me know and I'll give you some more.

I doubt that they have any dandelions or clover in their yard but if they do have them put several handfuls in the container with him.

PUT HIM IN A QUIET PREFERABLY DARK ROOM AND JUST CHECK ON HIM ONCE IN AWHILE. Do not handle him as baby bunnies do not handle stress well.
Keep checking to find a facility that will not euthanize a bunny. Please warn them that cat attacked bunnies many times do not survive.

squirrellovepa
10-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Fox! I sent the link to my sister so she can read what you said. Yup we are still looking around,if all else fails,she will meet with Shesasquirrelygirl tommorrow if it survives the night of course.

Buddy'sMom
10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
:wave123 :wave123 Great work, you two, taking care of the bunny! How is baby doing this morning?

I hope you are able to get bunny to a suitable rehabber today for antibiotics and care (baby bunnies are VERY hard to keep alive, even for those with experience, and especially an injured baby :Love_Icon ). Looks like at least one of you might be traveling the Turnpike again :flash3 (if bunny is going to SASG, that is the direction she is in also).

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

squirrellovepa
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
:wave123 Buddys mom! The bunny made it through the night. :wahoo My sister left a message with AARK last night,they called this morning while she was at work. They said they can take the bunny and nurse it back to health. :jump :jump They also said they will release if possible,else they have other wilds that couldnt be released that he can live with. AARK isnt far from my sisters area,so not that bad of a ride. :flash3

island rehabber
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup Great news!! here's hoping & praying for that little bun!

squirrellovepa
10-27-2008, 09:13 PM
:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou IR and Gamma! My sister got the bunny up to AARK today. They said he should heal up just fine and be okay! yay! :wahoo :wahoo

digiandchipper
10-28-2008, 05:09 AM
Oh wow, THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Miracles happen!:wahoo