PDA

View Full Version : Flax Seed?

Michigan Lady
10-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I went today & bought the rodent block type food for our little Red Squirrel, as well as I bought him some sesame seeds and flax seeds.

I know they say that flax seed is great for the immune system and overall health of humans, so I figured it might be great for squirrels as well.

Anyone know anything abot flax seeds and squirrels? I was sure it was probably ok, but just wanted to double check, as I was feeding him brazil nuts and sunflower seeds last week, and then read today that it can cause calcium deficiencies.
I want to treat the little guy as much as possible, but not at any health risk.

He also tried a hunk of raw sweet potato and some dandelion greens today, and our little squirrel seemed genuinely smitten by both.

I think I may pick a big bag full of dandelion greens and dry them in my food dehydrator so I will have a good supply for him to nibble on through the winter. :)

Michelle

:crazy

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
I do know that flax is good for the eyes and coat. I use it in supplements for the chins. Golden is supposed to be healthier then brown. I don't see how it would harm a squirrel but I wouldn't use a lot. Maybe a small pinch ( 8 seeds?) as a once in a while treat if he likes it or tossed into the veggies.
Otherwise I don't know if its "bad" for squirrels ( except in large doses)
:dono

Michigan Lady
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks! He seems to like both the flax and sesame seeds, and no ill effects from the flax, so I think we're good!

Michelle

sadiesmom
10-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I've always given Sadie golden flax seed. Sometimes I make little cookie/biscuit type things as treats and I always throw a good half a handful into the mix. She eats the seeds alone as well, but they're so small they're hard to handle. I'm guessing as long as you don't go overboard and feed too much/too often, they're fine. I've never had a problem. I've always kind of attributed her nice coat to them.