PDA

View Full Version : Young American Red Squirrel

Michigan Lady
10-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Hello everyone,

I am new to the board. I live in southwest lower Michigan, about 50 miles from the Indiana border.
We recently had a young male red squirrel come into our care.
Funny story how he came into our lives.

The squirrel was found down the road at my daughter's friends house. They had some men installing a new kitchen window, when one of the men about soiled himself when this little guy went crawling up his back and into his hair!

The other man helping install the window pulled the squirrel out of the other guys hair and realized how tiny he was. I am thinking he was 5 to 6 weeks old when he was found.
These men were wearing work gloves, but said the little squirrel never offered to bite, and actually seemed to WANT to be with people. He kept climbing up the legs of these workmen, even though they'd repeatedly put him on the ground.

My daughter and her friend arrived after school, and were told the story of the squirrel. Of course, they scooped the squirrel up... and off they went to the biggest sucker they knew... ME! LOL.

The kids were holding this squirrel bare-handed. I was amazed, because most of my experience with squirrels had been with my daughter's father years ago who was an avid squirrel hunter, and I was always led to believe they have razor sharp teeth and are not afraid to use them, and I was told they commonly carry rabies (although now I'm finding out this isn't the case).

This little squirrel sat quietly in my daughter's hands, never offering to bite. He actually seemed very clingy... which I thought was really unusual for any wild animal.

I automatically assumed by his behavior that he must be sick. Upon examining him, I discovered he had pneumonia. I have some experience in diagnosing this stuff as I have been a dog breeder for almost 15 yrs, and I have the equipment and knowledge to determine such.
I can only venture to guess that this little guy was not quite ready to leave the nest or ventured out of it out of curiosity, and couldn't find his way back and the cool overnight temps caused him to get sick. (I've been reading that only 22% of all baby red squirrels make it to a year old in the wild.)

I therefore began attempting to administer antibiotics. Ever try to give a shot of penicillin to a squirrel? LOL. Well, that's what I did daily for a week. He hated it and would make this growling sound, but he never tried to bite.. not even once!
He improved even 24 hours after the first shot, and in 7 days he was all better.

We gathered acorns for him and cut them open, although I have read on line now that acorns are not as digestible for red squirrels as pine nuts are, so I am planning to go buy him some pine nuts for him.
However, he really likes cheese, as well as corn, peanuts, almonds, brazil nuts and pecans. Pecans are one of his absolute favorites.

He has been eating like a fiend ever since he's gotten better and has put on weight and has grown a bit in length too. He was about 1/2 the size of an adult red squirrel when we found him. We have had him for just over 3 weeks now, and he has grown probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch in length, and has probably put on a few ounces of weight. I don't know exactly because I don't have anything that will weigh something that small.

I have gotten over the leariness I had of holding the squirrel without gloves. Never, ever has he ever offered to bite. Even at times when I felt he should when the kids held him, as they just yank him right off whoever's shoulder he's on, and I can see his claws dig into their clothes as the kids pull him, but he never protests at all.
As funny as it sounds, he seems "tame". I mean, we have owned hamsters & gerbils for years, and none of them were as trustable about not biting as this squirrel is.
And never has any domesticated rodent I've ever owned ever been as intelligent as this guy seems to be... not even rats, and rats are said to be very smart for rodents.
My 16 yr old daughter, Jenelle, who tends to be a bit overly brave with animals, was the first one to take risks in testing the waters with this little guy.
She will play games with him, having his jump and swing from her arms & etc. He enjoys every minute of it.. you can see that he is just having a ball!

I can hardly believe how smart he is. My daughter has taught him command words for little games they play together and he understands her & follows her commands!!!!
To my amazement, the little squirrel seems genuinely attached to us, and even responds to his name... my daughter named him Num Num... I know, it's a goofy name, but she named him that because he seems so food driven! LOL.

As soon as he hears my daughter call his name, he crawls out of the hole in the log planter we have in his pen (which his pen is a 40 gal long reptile aquarium that has metal vent plates in the back) and he will run up the oak branches we've put in the pen, and stands at the door of the pen, waiting for the door to open.
Once it does, he jumps straight out on our arm and proceeds to crawl up to our shoulder.
I have very long hair and I braid it, so when he climbs on my shoulder, he will take his nose and root around at the nape of my neck until he finds an entrance point and will crawl up my braid and lay against my scalp..LOL.
I always worry he might poop in my hair because he's been known to soil on us when he's held!

When my daughter holds him, he will wrap his little front legs right around her arm as if he is hugging her. He likes her warmth, and he will fall asleep when she will pet him and hold him close.

One thing I find bizarre as I don't know if squirrels really have the mental ability to know how to give affection, but my daughter will kiss him right on the mouth, and when she does so, his little tongue gets going and he licks her on the lips.
Is that strange or what?
It's like he is kissing her back.... just like a little dog or something! LOL.

He loves to be out with us, and hates going back in his cage (unless we just put some new food goodies in). When Jenelle tries to put him back in his cage, he will wrap his little front legs around her arm and hangs on, as if to say "Please don't put me down!"

He is very cute. He seems to be very intelligent, and also affectionate. I don't know if this behavior is quite unusual for a squirrel or not.
I've never seen anything like it and am surprised really, as I never thought squirrels had the IQ for the things this little guy does.

Since it is too late in the year for him to build a nest and gather nuts to last through the cold winter months, we intend to keep him and maintain him in our home until Spring 2009. At that time, we plan to release him on our 20 acres.

I guess my concerns are, what do we need to ensure proper health in maintaining him through the winter (special food, any special things for exercise... someone at the pet store recommended a rat wheel, but I don't know if a squirrel would actually use one), and then, the big question, will he be able to revert back to a wild life if we let him loose in the spring, or will be have become too dependent on us?

We don't mind keeping him for his whole life if need be, but since he is a wild animal, we feel returning him to the wild would give him his happiest and probably healthiest (and maybe longest) life.

I know this post is long, but we don't have any prior squirrel experience. I appreciate all help and guidance.

Thanks,

Michelle

:thankyou

Michigan Lady
10-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the info!
Yep, he is old enough for a regular diet. He has no trouble eating! He eats like a pig.
However, my question now is, what about acorns? I read on line that squirrels can't digest them very well, but then I read here on this forum that acorns are natures most perfect food for a squirrel.
Getting acorns IS NOT a problem. We could fill 100's of 5 gal buckets with the things, as where we live here on our 20 acres, 95% of all of our trees are very mature oaks. We cut only 2 trees down to build our house, which is a 1/4 mile off the road in a rural area, so we are truly in the middle of the forest here.

We have so many acorns that I have walked out on our front deck before and fell flat on my butt from stepping on acorns... it's like stepping on marbles!

So if acorns are best, I'll have the kids fill a couple 5 gal buckets full for the winter for Num Num. The only thing is, we have to cut them open for him. He can't seem to do it. He will try & try and leaves teeth marks all over the acorn, but can't open them himself.
Which isn't a problem, we can do that, but I wonder if that's something he'll learn to do on his own, or will he just depend on us to always do it??

We are also feeding him apple chunks, as we have several apple trees and we grow our own apples with no pesticides. We also have scads of dendelion greens in our year, as we don't spray for weeds either... we like it natural out here & have made it a squirrel paradise. :)
I've also been thawing out frozen cherries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries and have given him a few of those, but now I wonder if that's a no-no?

As to natural light... I am wondering, is it the same principle as most reptiles? I've had snakes and lizards for years and know the requirements they also have for lighting and calcium.

Now the room the squirrels cage is in is near a window that gets lots of light. Does he need unfiltered light, or will light through the glass suffice?

I will also go out in the woods today & find some vines and try to weave him a nest. We've given him tons of leaves, so I'm sure he will make a woven nest a home in his own way.

Michelle

:jump

Michigan Lady
10-20-2008, 11:02 AM
I printed out your post and will look for the bulbs. We have several fo the stores you mentioned in the nearest big town to us. I will start there and see what I can find. I then have to figure out how to mount the light so the squirrel can't get to the wires!

Michelle

Sarabi
10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
OMG Your Little guy is so adorable, cute humans too:) Word of warning, these little guys will steal your heart! Best of luck and keep them pics coming!

Michigan Lady
10-20-2008, 11:03 PM
After much searching today, I finally found the Ott- Lite. The packaging has changed considerably from the packaging they used to package them in that gammas baby posted.
They also are not shaped like a regular light bulb anymore. The bulb itself is now spiral shaped and is florescent. They also don't offer the plastic sheath anymore, probably because they're florescent and don't get hot and therefore it's not needed.
They are made by GE and are called the "Edison" Ott-Light. It is an 18 watt bulb that puts out 100 watts of light. It's a full spectrum light bulb and was only $8.00. It says it offers the most natural light available in a light bulb and brings high definition to the things the light shines on.
I may buy some more of these and put them up all over my house! It might help prevent us from getting the wintertime blues!

Unfortunately, the bulb I bought was broken in the package, so I have to take it back. So after I do that, I will scan and post what the new packaging looks like, so anyone else who may ask about this bulb in the future can know what the current packaging looks like.

Also, FYI, I called Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joann Fabrics, JC Penny and Bed Bath & Beyond and not a single one of these stores carries this bulb!

They carry the long tubular ones (Ott-Lite brand) with prongs on the end for florescent overhead light fixtures, but none of then carry anything that screws into a standard light socket.

Believe it or not, the Ott- Lite I got I found at Lowe's. So if anyone is looking to buy one at a store near them, Lowe's is the only one who carries them!

Michelle

:peace

thundersquirrel
10-21-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi Michelle,

thanks for taking care of this little one. he looks very healthy and happy. :thumbsup

it sounds like you're going to follow all of the information that GB gave you. please do this- anything left out could mean big problems for your little one.

you already have all the care information, so what i'd like to talk about it temperament and release. the fact that this guy is alone means he will imprint more easily than a litter of squirrels. but be warned that most squirrels, when they get older (especially when they reach sexual maturity) will become moody, sometimes aggressive. you may find that he rejects everyone, or maybe everyone except one person. red squirrels, especially, are notorious for being very fiesty and territorial. there have been a couple of cases of domesticated red squirrels, but they are very, very rare. i'm just telling you this so that you prepare yourselves- i would hate for you to feel unduly hurt or confused if one day this little guy doesn't like you anymore.

if you plan to release him, he'll need a large, double wire, outdoor cage. i suggest you get him acclimated to the weather as soon as possible so that his winter coat will come in, and he can spend the winter in his pre-release cage. this can be done by placing him in a smaller cage outside for only hours at a time in the middle of the day. put the cage out (make sure it's double wire or have someone watching it), give him some time, and bring it back in. make sure he has a nest box with a comfy old t-shirt to cuddle with inside.

you'll also need to decrease the handling. since he's about ten weeks right now, i'd say you have a couple more weeks in which to hold him. in the end, though, he needs to fear your touch. understand that this is for his own safety- once you release him, he can't go up to strange humans and start climbing all over them. it's just too dangerous. :(

i hope this information helps, and gives you some insight into the future. thanks again for taking such good care of this fella! he looks beautiful. :)

Jackie in Tampa
10-21-2008, 06:31 AM
:thumbsup awesome story.

lillysmom
10-21-2008, 07:33 AM
welcome:Welcome
that is a gorgeous squirrel!
good luck
keep pics coming
maybe enter some in the October contest?

island rehabber
10-21-2008, 07:46 AM
you already have all the care information, so what i'd like to talk about it temperament and release. the fact that this guy is alone means he will imprint more easily than a litter of squirrels. but be warned that most squirrels, when they get older (especially when they reach sexual maturity) will become moody, sometimes aggressive. you may find that he rejects everyone, or maybe everyone except one person. red squirrels, especially, are notorious for being very fiesty and territorial. there have been a couple of cases of domesticated red squirrels, but they are very, very rare. i'm just telling you this so that you prepare yourselves- i would hate for you to feel unduly hurt or confused if one day this little guy doesn't like you anymore.

if you plan to release him, he'll need a large, double wire, outdoor cage. i suggest you get him acclimated to the weather as soon as possible so that his winter coat will come in, and he can spend the winter in his pre-release cage. this can be done by placing him in a smaller cage outside for only hours at a time in the middle of the day. put the cage out (make sure it's double wire or have someone watching it), give him some time, and bring it back in. make sure he has a nest box with a comfy old t-shirt to cuddle with inside.

you'll also need to decrease the handling. since he's about ten weeks right now, i'd say you have a couple more weeks in which to hold him. in the end, though, he needs to fear your touch. understand that this is for his own safety- once you release him, he can't go up to strange humans and start climbing all over them. it's just too dangerous. :(

i hope this information helps, and gives you some insight into the future. thanks again for taking such good care of this fella! he looks beautiful. :)

:goodpost thundersquirrel you said it perfectly :thumbsup

Sciurus1
10-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I applaud your whole family, for taking in this orphaned red squirrel! I see for now he seems to be an equal opportunity squirrel that is willing to climb about all of you, but as Thundersquirrel has noted this could change, and he could reject all of you, being very aggressive. It is a hard call when you get so attached to a squirrel, but it may be best to make him a large cage in anycase, so he can spend sometime during the day outside in it over the winter months. Having an inside cage too is a necessity, and not a tiny one, but one that he can really get around in, that is about 5 to 6 ft in height, and 4- 5 ft wide, and at least 22 feet deep; that way if it gets really nasty out there, but he begins to go wild, he has a safe warm place to live. As TS correctly noted, not to release the squirrel during this time of year, as their natural mothers would winter over with them, not chase them off to go on their own at this time, a fact confirmed by research mammalogisits who have studied this species. Doing as TS has suggested, to provide a release cage, is a wise step to take, which would allow him to get sunshine, and fresh, while developing his winter coat. And by all means, DOgive him acorns and other wild foods as much as you can, but keep that balanced with the greens, as GB has shared. And lastly, do share more pics of him with us, we all love to see them!

Bravo
10-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Thank goodness the little one found you... so cute, and obviously a good judge of character. :thumbsup Welcome to the board.

Michigan Lady
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, I went back to Lowe's today & got another Ott-Lite bulb for our squirrels' cage to replace the broken one I initially bought yesterday.

I have scanned & attached a photo of the new packaging that the Ott-Lite's now come in, and as I stated before, Lowe's in the only one who carries the ones that screw into a standard light socket, that I've found.

I ended up going with the smaller wattage of 60w light output (15 w florescent) rather than 100w (25 w florescent). It was a bit cheaper in price than the 100w too, at $6.83 for oen bulb.

While I was there, I found another natural light full spectrum bulb and it was actually less in price. It's called "Bright Effects". It has a color temperature of 6500 K.
They came in a multi-pack of 4 for $11.88. I used them in light fixtures arounf the house when I got home home and W-O-W! Are those suckers bright!!! I think it will take me some time to adjust because they are so bright they almost hurt my eyes.
I put one in my reading lamp next to my bed. That should help with the eye strain I get at bedtime from reading!

And then, a big scare for me today. I got groceries at Walmart, and while there I came across a small 2 oz bag of raw pine nuts. So I bought them. I thought I would give one or 2 to the squirrel every now & then as a treat.

I opened them up and tried them. I ate exactly 5 pine nuts. Within 30 seconds after I swallowed them, my mouth and throat began to itch and felt like needles prickling my throat, I began to feel dizzy, my throat started to swell, and the whole left side of my mouth, cheek, jaw, top lip, part of my nose and even my tongue felt numb. I also got that feeling like someone shot hot water through my veins.

I immediately recognized this as a very severe allergic reaction, as I had one to cephalexin back in the early 1990's.
It is a very scary experience, and you feel completely out of control, and it freaks you out!

I immediately took two benadryl's as well as a Zyrtec and a Singulair. It took about an hour, but I was fine after that.

I have never been allergic to any foods before, but apparently I am now.

It's weird because I've never had pine nuts before, & then the first time I try them... pow, I have a very severe allergic reation to them.

Thankfully I only ate 5 nuts. Could you imagine if I had eaten the whole 2 oz bag? UGH, I'd have been dead or in the hospital!!!

So needless to say, the pine nuts, as delicious as they taste, are one food that I will never touch again. They are certainly something just for squirrels in this house! LOL.

Michelle

:shakehead

digiandchipper
10-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Great price on the lights; I'm gonna look for some today!:thumbsup Sorry to read about your reaction to the pine nuts - how scary! Have you had a problem around anything pine before?:thinking

Michigan Lady
10-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Great price on the lights; I'm gonna look for some today!:thumbsup Sorry to read about your reaction to the pine nuts - how scary! Have you had a problem around anything pine before?:thinking

Not that I'm aware of. Although, I lived all my life as a kid and in my 20's in town. In my early 30's (I am 39 now) we moved out here to the country. I then began to develop airborne allergies.

Some can get really bad for me, such as the reactions I have to autumn olive pollen, ragweed pollen and mold spores. I can bet I am allergic to pine pollen too, as we have tons of pine trees around our home. My hubby and I planted 2,500 little baby plants about 6 yrs ago (about 500 of them are close to our house) and they are about 8 feet tall right now. I'm sure their pollen, and my exposure to it, had set me up for this reaction to the pine nuts.
I read on line that since I've had this reaction to pine nuts, I will most likely now be allergic to pine tar soaps, pine oil cleaners and pine saps & resins if they touch my skin.

They say that people who lived in town all their life and then move to the country, tend to experience allergies to many of the pollens from the plants around them that they weren't exposed to, or were exposed to to a lesser degree when living in town, and that those reactions can tend to be pretty significant.
Lucky me, huh? LOL.

Michelle

:poke