PDA

View Full Version : On the road to a healthier diet

Lark
10-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Okay, we have started Camo on some better foods. I've been carrying around that list I found on here whenever we go off shopping and such.

I have not found these:

Harlan Teklad 2014 and 2018 Rodent Diets. The cadillac of rodent chows. Vegetarian formulas contain no preservatives, phytoestrogens, or nitrosamines. The 2014 is a low-fat, low-protein formula suitable for older squirrels. The 2018 is for growing squirrels (under 18 months old). Store in the refrigerator. $5.00 for 5 lbs at the Crafty Rat:
http://www.craftyrat.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=FS

KayTee Forti-Diet for Rats and Mice. A tasty vegetarian rodent diet available at pet stores. If you’re having trouble getting your squirrel to eat blocks, it can be a good choice. Does contain added sugars such as molasses, as well as preservatives for long shelf life. $3.47 for 2 lbs at Petco:
http://www.petco.com/product/5906/Ka...-Rat-Food.aspx

I saw some Kaytee brand stuff at walmart, but I unfortunately did not go looking for it at the pet shop way down town we went to this morning. I forgot the list. I know for a fact the first we do not have. And, I saw some KayTee brand products at the shop this morning, but the ones I saw were some other kind. Not those blocks like I saw an image of on the computer.

Well, I've tried to begin with the veggies on the high-calcium list and then a couple others.

We've been giving her primarily acorns and the following for the last several days:

Carrots, Celery, Lettuce, Mums, green bell peppers...
And today we bought cilantro, parsley, broccoli, and bananas (which bananas we have given bits of to her before and she goes into a crazed state to have some) We also on the occasion give her some apple, but not that often since it goes bad quick once you cut it.

We also have some pine cones in her cage and I usually give her 2 peanuts a day.

I would like to get her on those rodent blocks, particularly the one by Kaytee as I am familiar with the brand. We have a Petco opening up in a few weeks, but I'd like to get some of that sooner. What site would you suggest me it by it from? Petco site? I want to be sure it is a safe and reliable site!

Camo seems to be a finicky eater. What are some squirrely favorites that some of you others have found easy to give them that they both enjoy and it healthy for them other than those I mentioned?

My mom, not familiar with the list of foods, went and bought a bag of Audubon wildlife feed of some sort today. It's filled with sunflower seeds, dry corn, and peanuts which I read is not an ideal food. Is it okay to still use it as treats in smaller portions and feed her lots of the other foods (aka the veggies and acorns)? I know I see the squirrels in the wild tearing up feeders for it.

And lastly, but probably not so lastly, Camo loves dog food. She is constantly getting into my dogs food bowl. The brand is either Purina or by Purina. Is this safe for her to eat? I read on one site where Iams is okay to feed a squirrel. I don't plan on letting her eat her little heart out on this, but I just want to make sure it is okay when she steals pieces throughout the day when she is out roaming.

And, it is looking like we are going to keep Camo. Camo is our third squirrel, but we've never had one like her. She's very loving and clingy and is happiest lying in our laps like a cat or playing with our hand. I definitely want to be sure she is eating a healthy diet since this may be her forever home with us. She won't have the opportunity to find these good foods on her own.

4skwerlz
10-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Congratulations on your efforts to give Camo a healthy diet. I would not allow Camo to eat the dog food. It is way too high in protein, and high-protein diets cause shorter lifespans in rodents--this is well proven in scientific studies. You can order the Kaytee from the Petco site, and the Harlan from the Crafty Rat site. Quality-wise, the Harlan is the best, so I would recommend that. If you have trouble getting her to eat it, check back here as we have some good strategies for this problem.

Rodent block (or the homemade squirrel blocks) must be at least 70% of Camo's diet, with healthy vegetables and natural foods from outside making up the rest. Extra nuts, seeds, "squirrel mix," fruit, and human food should be occasional treats only--not every day.

Camo sounds really sweet. :Love_Icon

digiandchipper
10-18-2008, 06:37 PM
My squirrels hated the store bought rodent blocks :yuck so I ended up using the TSB homemade recipe (there is a thread on here somewhere). Maybe you could try that before you order?

Also, it took my little ones A WHILE to decide to like their veggies as I think I waited a bit to long to introduce them. I kept putting kale in with them cause I heard it was the bomb and after about 3 days, they decided it was okay. They like carrots now, too, and sweet potatoes though I don't give them those often.

I didn't pay attention to where you live, but they LOVE LOVE LOVE hibiscus flowers (which are still blooming here in FL).

Hope this helps - congrats on the new beginning on the healthy diet:thumbsup

scurry'smama
10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi there,
I am new here, but wanted to introduce myself and the love of our lives~ Scurry. She is a 13 week female grey squirrel who we rescued at about 5 days old. She is doing well to date. We did have a crazy scare of MBD when she was 8 1/2 weeks. This site has helped me figure a better diet for her. THANK YOU! we almost lost her one evening. I ran to Trader Joe's and got a calcium/Vit D3 supp. crushed the tabs and got it into her and she perked up within 24 hours. I still give it to her 3 times a week and she has continued to do well. She is the most affectionate being and is starting to not be so picky about her foods. Still nursing 2 time a day. Loves her milky! I am glad to be here!

4skwerlz
10-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi there,
I am new here, but wanted to introduce myself and the love of our lives~ Scurry. She is a 13 week female grey squirrel who we rescued at about 5 days old. She is doing well to date. We did have a crazy scare of MBD when she was 8 1/2 weeks. This site has helped me figure a better diet for her. THANK YOU! we almost lost her one evening. I ran to Trader Joe's and got a calcium/Vit D3 supp. crushed the tabs and got it into her and she perked up within 24 hours. I still give it to her 3 times a week and she has continued to do well. She is the most affectionate being and is starting to not be so picky about her foods. Still nursing 2 time a day. Loves her milky! I am glad to be here!
:Welcome It's great you're already thinking about good nutrition for your squirrel. Bad diet probably kills more pet squirrels than anything else. My advice for a 13-week-old squirrel would be, get her nibbling on rodent blocks or squirrel blocks right away. Also introduce her to healthy veggies from the "Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels" plus natural foods from outside. The earlier you start them on healthy foods, the more likely they are to love them. Also--very important--don't let her develop a taste for junk food, which is mostly people food: snacks, crackers, sweets, or too much fruit. Once they develop these tastes, it is MUCH harder to get them to eat healthy.

Good luck, and if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask!