PDA

View Full Version : sweetpotato and pinetrees

SUNSHINE
10-18-2008, 08:09 AM
okay im confused about the pine tree they have listed under toxic plants i understand about the saps but i thaought they were safe from what everybody writes ? AND THE SWEET POTATO , THE WHITE ONES WHATS THE DIFFERENCE WHITE OKAY? ITHINK THERE THE SAME , ARE YAMS REALLY THAT BAD? I TAKE IT THERES MORE SUGAR IN YAMS:crazy

4skwerlz
10-18-2008, 08:23 AM
okay im confused about the pine tree they have listed under toxic plants i understand about the saps but i thaought they were safe from what everybody writes ? AND THE SWEET POTATO , THE WHITE ONES WHATS THE DIFFERENCE WHITE OKAY? ITHINK THERE THE SAME , ARE YAMS REALLY THAT BAD? I TAKE IT THERES MORE SUGAR IN YAMS:crazy

Which list of toxic plants? Pine trees are generally non-toxic. There are a couple of evergreen trees that are toxic, but they are rare.

About the sweet potato: yes, it's true they have a lower glycemic load than white potatoes. The reason is that glycemic load (GL) has more to do with starch content than sugar, plus, sweet potatoes contain more fiber, which lowers GL because the body processes it more slowly. This is also why brown rice has a lower GL than white rice, whole wheat bread is lower than white bread, etc. Yams are a different vegetable, and are high GL.

island rehabber
10-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I've always used raw sweet potato as a starter solid food for my squirrels, and most of them really love it. It stays fresh for awhile in their dishes, and also bulks them up as they give up formula and go through that "skinny-looking juvenile" stage. Just my .02 :D

wheezer
10-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I too read somewhere (I think here) that pine trees were toxic:dono It sort of confused me but I knew squirrels loved and ate pine cones!!

Here is a good link I just found for toxic plants to pets.
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/toxic_plants.htm

4skwerlz
10-18-2008, 09:21 AM
I too read somewhere (I think here) that pine trees were toxic:dono It sort of confused me but I knew squirrels loved and ate pine cones!!

Here is a good link I just found for toxic plants to pets.
http://www.exoticnutrition.com/toxic_plants.htm

Most lists of plants that toxic to "pets" are referring to cats and dogs. Based on the few lists I've found of plants that are specifically toxic to rodents, plus our own experience on TSB, it seems that many plants that are toxic to dogs and cats are fine for squirrels. Not sure why, but dogs and cats are carnivores and squirrels are omnivores, like us humans. So maybe that's part of it. It seems like, generally, if something is edible by humans, then it is okay for squirrels. In fact, squirrels have some specific adaptations that allow them to eat things (like acorns) that contain tannins and other bitter-tasting compounds that would cause stomach upset in most other animals, including humans. I can post an article about this if anyone's interested, assuming I can find it again....:D

Squirrels eat every part of pine trees: the cones, the bark, the wood..... so I'm not sure where the idea they are toxic to squirrels comes from. Perhaps they're toxic to dogs and cats?

SUNSHINE
10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
THE SITE I SEEN PINE TREE LISTED ON WAS WWW.MOONDANCESUGARGLIDERS.COM IT WAS POSTED ON HEAR BEFORE THATS WERE I GOT IT ALSO ABOUT THE SWEET POTATO IS THE WHITE SWEET POTATO THE SAME AS THE ORANGE ONE I GOT ONE AND WANT TO MAKE SURE ITS OKAY :thankyou

SUNSHINE
10-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I JUST WATCHED YOUR VIDEO TRIBUTE WHEEZER SO TOUCHING I USED A HALF A BOX OF TISSUES SOMEDAY I HOPE TO PU MY PICS TOGETHER TO MUSIC NEED HELP FROM HUBBY THANKS FOR INFO

4skwerlz
10-18-2008, 02:27 PM
THE SITE I SEEN PINE TREE LISTED ON WAS WWW.MOONDANCESUGARGLIDERS.COM IT WAS POSTED ON HEAR BEFORE THATS WERE I GOT IT ALSO ABOUT THE SWEET POTATO IS THE WHITE SWEET POTATO THE SAME AS THE ORANGE ONE I GOT ONE AND WANT TO MAKE SURE ITS OKAY :thankyou

Sweet potatoes are orange in color. I don't know of any sweet potatoes that are white.

That site is for sugar gliders. Perhaps pines trees are toxic to them. They are not toxic to squirrels.

SUNSHINE
10-19-2008, 04:21 PM
I NEVER SEEN WHITE SWEET POTATOS EITHER BOY IM SURE LEARNING ALOT ABOUT FOODS THAT I WOULD NEVER NOW WHAT THEY ARE THAT ARE LISTED HEAR AND RESEARCHED THEM THE SITE ON SWEET POTATOS SHOWED PURPLE ONES TOO IM STILL TRYING TO FIND MORE INFO ON WHITE ONES THEY JUST SHOWED UP THIS YEAR IN OUR GIANT STORE IM SO CONCERNED THAT THERES MORE DIFFERENCES THAN JUST THE COLOR THEY ATE SOME BUT TILL I KNOW THERE JUST AS GOOD AS ORANGE ONES I WILL GO GET THEM MY GIRL WOULD TAKE OFF WITH THE WHOLE POTATO WHEN JUST LITTLE DIDNT EVEN THINK SHE COULD HOLD IT LET ALONE JUMP WITH IT WHAT AMOUNT DO YOU SAY IS SAFE FOR THEM IM NOW GIVIN THEM THE PLANTAINS NOW DIDNT LIKE BANANAS EXCEPT FOR DRIED LOVED THEM BUT I HAVNT GIVEN ANY OF EITHER ANYMORE SINCE THERE NOT GOOD FOR THEM DONT YOU THINK THE DRIED BANANACHIPS WITH NO SUGAR ARE OKAY THATS WHAT I GAVE THEM I SURE WISH THEY WERE A GOOD FOOD FOR THEM SINCE THEY LOVE THEM THANKS EVERYBODY

4skwerlz
10-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I NEVER SEEN WHITE SWEET POTATOS EITHER BOY IM SURE LEARNING ALOT ABOUT FOODS THAT I WOULD NEVER NOW WHAT THEY ARE THAT ARE LISTED HEAR AND RESEARCHED THEM THE SITE ON SWEET POTATOS SHOWED PURPLE ONES TOO IM STILL TRYING TO FIND MORE INFO ON WHITE ONES THEY JUST SHOWED UP THIS YEAR IN OUR GIANT STORE IM SO CONCERNED THAT THERES MORE DIFFERENCES THAN JUST THE COLOR THEY ATE SOME BUT TILL I KNOW THERE JUST AS GOOD AS ORANGE ONES I WILL GO GET THEM MY GIRL WOULD TAKE OFF WITH THE WHOLE POTATO WHEN JUST LITTLE DIDNT EVEN THINK SHE COULD HOLD IT LET ALONE JUMP WITH IT WHAT AMOUNT DO YOU SAY IS SAFE FOR THEM IM NOW GIVIN THEM THE PLANTAINS NOW DIDNT LIKE BANANAS EXCEPT FOR DRIED LOVED THEM BUT I HAVNT GIVEN ANY OF EITHER ANYMORE SINCE THERE NOT GOOD FOR THEM DONT YOU THINK THE DRIED BANANACHIPS WITH NO SUGAR ARE OKAY THATS WHAT I GAVE THEM I SURE WISH THEY WERE A GOOD FOOD FOR THEM SINCE THEY LOVE THEM THANKS EVERYBODY

Nope. No banana chips, even without sugar. Dried fruits generally have a higher glycemic load than a candy bar. That's why we say, no dried fruits.

Anne
10-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Check with your store where you bought the "sweet potato", I believe that Yams are white in color. Yams are popular in South American countries, and are originally from Africa.
Just a bit if trivia from traveling:)
Anne

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-20-2008, 12:32 PM
I just wanted to put my input on why they might list Pine Trees as toxic.
First Pine trees in the wild are not fresh cut they live there, and if you can grow a pine tree in your home then you are very special lol. Pine trees contain phenol oils which are toxic. When they are cut those oils are exposed and are very toxic and harmful to lungs , especially those of animals, let alone small animals. If you have ever had a real tree for christmas then you should understand the very strong aroma that fills your house. Those are the oils. This is the same reason why people do not suggest pine or wood shavings as bedding. Both cedar and Pine are toxic. ( However most pine shavings in stores today are kiln dried already and safe)
Now Squirrels may love and climb pine trees but those oils aren't exposed and even when they are , its only a tiny amount and squirrels and other animals have the option to leave the area and are outside surrounded by fresh air.
Pine trees in the wild and pine trees in a house are different.
Also the sap of pine contains toxic hydro-carbons ( same as turpentine). It can be harmful to the skin and is miserable and hard to remove. Squirrels in the wild usually just know better ( much like wild birds) and scent out what to avoid. Most domesticated animals wouldn't know better. So when we give our small animals cones to play and chew on we always scrub and bake ( even our squirrels )

When you are making a nest box etc, its always good to avoid pine and cedar etc. Untreated White pine, Kiln Dried Pine, Aspen,Dog wood, Willow etc. are safe to use. A

SUNSHINE
10-20-2008, 05:44 PM
s thanks everybody for input yea are yams are orange too thanks gamma i can now feal safe with the white sweetpotatos and squirrelygirl im not given no more pine cones it always worried me everytime i gave them any either they may have been pooped on or the sap like you said im just not takin any more chances thank you so much :thankyou

SUNSHINE
10-20-2008, 05:49 PM
gammas baby you dont give them the yams right you ment you give them white and orange sweet potatos?

4skwerlz
10-20-2008, 05:54 PM
s thanks everybody for input yea are yams are orange too thanks gamma i can now feal safe with the white sweetpotatos and squirrelygirl im not given no more pine cones it always worried me everytime i gave them any either they may have been pooped on or the sap like you said im just not takin any more chances thank you so much :thankyou

Pine cones are fine. They are a major part of a squirrel's diet.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Pine cones are fine for WILD squirrels, for those not raised by their mothers extra caution should be given. The cones should be soaked in hot water scrubbed and then baked ( to rid of the sap) This is the safety procedure for all small animals raised in capture. I understand squirrels are wild however when they are not raised in the wild they often trust what you give them and don't question it. A wild squirrel can scent out what they should avoid.

4skwerlz
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm just curious what the evidence is that pine cones can cause harm to pet squirrels. Most of us give our pet squirrels pine cones, and wild squirrels eat tons of them. They also eat the bark and chew the wood. Squirrels have special adaptations that allow them to consume bitter compounds (such as the tannins in acorns) with no problem. There would be a big difference between eating a pine cone, and living in bedding consisting of pine shavings, where the animal would be inhaling it all the time.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-20-2008, 08:36 PM
I am not in a great mood so if my reply sounds nasty then I am sorry but here you go...
First I am not comparing pine cones with wood shavings..:dono

I already explained why pine sap was bad in my posts above. Use google to confirm it and do the research, documents and what have you. Or you can also type in pine sap and arsenic and see what comes up.
I believe only certain pinecones from certain families of pines and cedars are toxic but pine in general is toxic because of the oils. ( I think cedar and pitch)
The reasons cones should be prepared:
Sap is extremely hard to remove from cones. Anything that brushes up against it sticks to it. This can be feces, bugs such as spiders and earwigs, garbage, pollutants etc. I know wild squirrels eat pine cones, however you said it yourself. You are giving them to PET squirrels. Unfortunately when anything wild is not raised by its natural mother in nature and is kept in capture since young it loses a lot of the survival skills and depends on you. This would include not eating things that are poisonous, toxic, or bad for them. Some still have the instincts but usually they trust what you give them since you have done this since birth. Not too many wild squirrels are poisoned by herbicides ( unless a pet) but usually wild sq are poisoned by man made poisons. They know what cones to eat from and not.
I am not saying pine cones shouldn't be given. I said extra precautions should be taken when given. I give them myself! Been giving them for years but only after being prepared. Boiling , scrubbing, and baking will rid of a lot of sap and debris, kill bacteria and any crawlies that may be harmful to your pet etc. making it much more safe for them to chew on, play with etc.
Also if sap gets on the fur it is near impossible to get out.Ever get it on your hands? If it gets on or in their mouth its gonna cause issues. I am sure people use common sense when looking at the cones they use. At least one would hope.
You can't see or analyze whats in the sap though or hiding up inside them. Its simply a precautionary. Picking them from the ground may also pollute them with lawn chemicals and other animal feces.
I am just trying to answer a question on why they might be considered toxic on some sites and throwing the suggestions out there.
You can google preparing pinecones and many of the sites list why. Here are a few.
http://parrotchat.proboards106.com/index.cgi?board=recipes&action=display&thread=2043
http://www.parrotplace.ca/recipes.htm
http://www.serillachinchillas.net/safeunsafewoods.htm

muffinsquirrel
10-20-2008, 08:45 PM
My squirrels (most of them are flyers) get fed 'from the wild' as much as possible. (And very little gets washed!) I only gather things that I know haven't been sprayed with insecticides, etc., and I try to gather different things whenever I can. We live out in the country, so there's usually something available for them if I'm not too lazy to go out and find it! They enjoy pinecones, blueberries, acorns, various flowers, mushrooms, branches, bugs, berries, etc. I find that they don't eat anything that is bad for them. And if they don't eat it, I don't bring it in anymore. I also try to check anything that I think is questionable - there are lots of sites on the web where you can find out whether or not something can be eaten safely.

These animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit for - they know what is and isn't good for them. (Except for chocolate, of course!)

muffinsquirrel

ShesASquirrelyGirl
10-20-2008, 10:47 PM
"I find that they don't eat anything that is bad for them"
Unfortunately this isn't always the case. Perhaps you don't have much for them to get into where you are but we have many squirrels come in poisoned from both rat poisoning, other poisoning and some who have consumed toxic plants (herbicides) etc. If they always knew what was bad for them they wouldn't be consuming these things at all. :thinking
When an animal is raised by a person from young regardless of being wild or domesticated, they rely on you to a certain extent. When you give them something that perhaps a wild animal would know better they might not and in some cases nor do the wild ones.
Do what you want, I am just offering WHY the precautions are there. I personally will never give a cedar pinecone and will never give a pinecone to any of my animals with out first preparing it.
:dono

acorniv
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I have the same philosophy and get the same results. We even bring in wild mushrooms, which I'd never eat myself, but my squirrel will look them over and toss aside the ones she doesn't trust. I remove those immediately.

The only things we've seen a bad reaction to are the seeds from magnolia buds ( makes her hyper ) and sunflower seeds, which turn her into an angry drunk. They make her so nasty, in fact that I wonder if some people's squirrel pest issues aren't caused by their filling feeders with sunflowers. Schmootie can also eat pyracantha in moderation. This is a plant that is toxic to soem animals but not others.

We feed pine cones ( au natural) whenever we can, but the squirrels get them first. Schmooties preference is for a particularly sticky variety that does not open up into separate petals, but stays cone shaped and dense. It grows on a friend's tree with wide spaced branches. For some reason she can eat these and not end up stuck to herself like a 4 yo with an ice cream cone.

A favorite goodie is the berries that grow on evergreen shrubs.

My squirrels (most of them are flyers) get fed 'from the wild' as much as possible. (And very little gets washed!) I only gather things that I know haven't been sprayed with insecticides, etc., and I try to gather different things whenever I can. We live out in the country, so there's usually something available for them if I'm not too lazy to go out and find it! They enjoy pinecones, blueberries, acorns, various flowers, mushrooms, branches, bugs, berries, etc. I find that they don't eat anything that is bad for them. And if they don't eat it, I don't bring it in anymore. I also try to check anything that I think is questionable - there are lots of sites on the web where you can find out whether or not something can be eaten safely.

These animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit for - they know what is and isn't good for them. (Except for chocolate, of course!)

muffinsquirrel