PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding nuts in shells

Legomom
10-17-2008, 02:59 PM
I've tried Wal-Mart, Winn-Dixie & Publix....everyone has shelled nuts, but nothing in the shell! (Except peanuts!) :osnap Any suggestions?

Doodles
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
They sure are hard to find in the stores, the walnut and almond harvesting is going on now in Calif. Usually stores start stocking up towards Thanksgiving. In the meantime, I have an order coming from nutsonline.com,
but expensive! Sometimes I think the squirrels eat better than we do, LOL:wallet

Legomom
10-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I agree! I just went to the store this morning. I think half my grocery bill was for the four-leggers in the house! :crazy

To top things off, my live oak hasn't got any acorns on it this year! :sanp3

Guess I'll hit up a few church friends, see if anyone has acorns that their kids will pick up for a couple of bucks!:dono Worth a shot! Thanks!

Momma Squirrel
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
Gosh I would think with Thanksgiving right around the corner the stores would be full of the nuts in the shells. I will check our stores this weekend and let you know if I find any.

TinyPaws
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
anuts.com
Ohnuts.com
nutsonline.com

I use mostly anuts because they are alot lower on prices and shipping is reasonable....they will have what you need and then some...:thumbsup

Legomom
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Momma, let me know!

Thanks for the sites, TP! I was having a heck of a time finding any that were reasonably priced! :crazy

valcap
10-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi!
I live on the East Coast and we have a wholesale store called B.J's here. They currently have a 3 lb. bag of shell on mixed nuts for 6.99. Walnuts, Pecans, Brazil, Hazel, and Almond. I'm going to freeze some bags when they stop selling them after December. Zippy has memorized where i keep them in the kitchen and makes a run for the bag whenever he finds himself in there. Squirrels are smart little babies!

JLM27
10-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I just bought two cases of nuts in the shell (1 almond and 1 hazelnut) from nutsonline, and with shipping it cost me about $30 each. Since each one is 25 pounds it comes out to about $1.20 per pound. Looks like BJ's comes to about $2.33 per pound. Of course it has Pecans, Walnuts, and Pecans too, but I just thought I'd put in this two cents.

acorniv
11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Our Publix produce manager told me he expects nuts in shells to arrive on Election day. Something extra to celebrate (or something to console yourself with if the election doesn't suit you).

Our wild nuts are not having a good season, which has me concerned about store bought ones too. We have not found hickory nuts yet - none of the trees from last year are bearing this year ( they are a two year cycle tree). Only one of our oaks is bearing and only one of our neighbors is too. In both cases it is the larger variety that is producing, and the word from our squirrel is they are not tasty this year. They turned brown very quickly.

Legomom
11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
:wott I found nuts in the shells! :wahoo Winn-Dixie had them yesterday and I snatched a bag up right away! Teddy loved chewing on the almond that I gave him last night. :Love_Icon

He was working hard and making some serious saw dust.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/legomom0701/Teddy/Almond.jpg

What is the best way to store nuts for long term? I was thinking about buying a couple of bags, but not sure if they'll stay fresh....Teddy is tiny, so it'll take him awhile to work through just one bag. But, I would like to have them around for my outside friends and any greys that may come our way for help.

Thanks!

foxsquirrels
11-03-2008, 09:17 PM
They just arrived in our stores last week!! Made my squirrels happy!:)

acorniv
11-03-2008, 10:44 PM
That's great! :thumbsup

You can freeze nuts but I've only done shelled ones. I'd be concerned about the shells getting moldy - especially softer shells like almonds.

I keep nuts in shells in a tightly sealed jar and they seem to be palatable for about 6 months. That gets you well into a time of year when there are plenty of other goodies to offer. We have maple trees and the seeds of them and berries of dogwoods seem to satisfy in the same way.

:wott I found nuts in the shells! :wahoo Winn-Dixie had them yesterday and I snatched a bag up right away! Teddy loved chewing on the almond that I gave him last night. :Love_Icon

He was working hard and making some serious saw dust.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/legomom0701/Teddy/Almond.jpg

What is the best way to store nuts for long term? I was thinking about buying a couple of bags, but not sure if they'll stay fresh....Teddy is tiny, so it'll take him awhile to work through just one bag. But, I would like to have them around for my outside friends and any greys that may come our way for help.

Thanks!

muffinsquirrel
11-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I found them for sale at WalMart this past weekend - walnut and hazel nuts. I freeze them in-shell every year, and have had no problems at all. We still have a few pecans left in the freezer from last year, and the squirrels are still as crazy for them as ever.

muffinsquirrel

TinyPaws
11-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I have most of the nuts I bought frozen in shell and I eat them too so I know they are fine...The only nuts I keep in the frig besides daily squirrel supply are the ones I can't get into the freezer...I need a second freezer...:sanp3

FallensMommie
11-04-2008, 03:50 AM
If anybody has a local fruit stand try there too!
Publix and Winn-Dixie have them also. Publix is selling them loose by the pound in my area :D

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
11-04-2008, 05:41 AM
They just got them in at Walmart in my area this week too. They are like $2.50 a pound now though. I always stock up when they go on sale. If you wait until after Christmas, they usually go on sale for 99 cents a pound. Since I rehab 30-40 squirrels a year, I wait until then and buy them out. I bought over 30 pounds of nuts last year and am down to just one bag of walnuts now. If you look at the expiration date on the bag it usually isn't until the following year, so I just keep mine in my closet in their sealed bags and they stay good for the entire year.

Jackie in Tampa
11-04-2008, 06:10 AM
:sanp3 I too buy them after Christmas, at the grocery, but I buy at the local farmers market year round! Here in Tampa...I use Baird, they sell to all the restraunts and small veggie stands etc...they also sell to Mickeys Boiled Peanut company...They are the BEST PRICED NUTS AROUND LOCALLY!
50lb bags is all they sell. I go every two weeks! Saturday, market price on hazelnuts had dropped down to $96. for 50lbs.:sanp3
New crop pecans are due to arrive within the next couple weeks!:thumbsup
Ouch in my wallet...happy on my porch:crazy

miraclesquirrel
11-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Wally World just got them in. I'm going to buy them out over here. I get at least 25 bags and put them in the freezer and pull out as needed. They do fine in the freezer, never had a problem. Acorns on the other hand are far and few between this year for me.

Frickster
11-04-2008, 11:07 PM
our yard is carpeted with acorns.......literally acres just covered! i had no idea they were in shortage anywhere.

Mads
11-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Oh..good..I was going to go to BJ's yesterday, but then found the nuts at the Price chopper for 2.99 a lb. still cheaper at BJ's...I'll have to run there and get a bunch.

Hi!
I live on the East Coast and we have a wholesale store called B.J's here. They currently have a 3 lb. bag of shell on mixed nuts for 6.99. Walnuts, Pecans, Brazil, Hazel, and Almond. I'm going to freeze some bags when they stop selling them after December. Zippy has memorized where i keep them in the kitchen and makes a run for the bag whenever he finds himself in there. Squirrels are smart little babies!

Montclair
11-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I live in NC, and am able to find loose nuts in the shell at local "farmtype", "country" stores- They have them in barrels, usually 4 or 5 different kinds. (Whole walnuts,pecans, brazil nuts, almonds, and hazel nuts right now). I've often seen those vegetable tents along the way in Florida, and bet they'd make a good possibility for you to try-

digiandchipper
11-15-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm finding a lot of fresh nuts available on CraigsList right now..........waiting on Philomycus for the pecans, though:thumbsup

edit....I've got hickory nuts, want me to send you some?

Sciurus1
11-15-2008, 03:08 PM
In Southern California you can find Nuts just about everywhere, even ones that come in a shell! :D The Somis Nut House, in Somis, CA. stocks all kinds of NUTS year round, and has an online Website too!

Check out their GOODIES! I just love the Pumpkin butter they carry, along with their other preserves. Their Chocolate Cordials just about to die for; they come in Amaretto, Blueberry, Rum, Blackberry, Cherry, as well as other flavors. They also have those chocolate Coffee beans, that are sure to give the eater a buzz! They carry many different kinds of fudge, some with NUTS, and have a large assortment of candies, and trail mixes too! So for your four footed nut lovers, and the two footed is a really Nutty Place, and we get our nuts there year round for our yard squirrels.